1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Agree or disagree

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Jan 18, 2017.

1. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011

I kind of have to agree. A win here would have to quiet all the Tomlin haters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Disagree.

Tomlin will somehow be blamed for something; regardless whether it is within his control or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Of course. He may have achieved that distinction already. The 1994, 1995, 1997, 2001 and 2004 seasons ended badly. Some of the blame has to be attributed to Cowher. In particular, losing the AFC Championship games at home to inferior opponents affects Cowher's legacy.

Cowher wasn't a strategist or a tactician; he was a motivator like Tomlin is. He was right for the team and the city then, and it was time for him to quit when he did.

4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I can fondly remember the days when fans wanted Cowher fired. See the 98,99,2000 seasons. Tomlin has even come close to having that bad of seasons.

Steelers fans will always want to fire the coach. Unless you win the Super Bowl, then they want to put you on Mount Rushmore.

If Tomlin wins the next two games, I'm putting him ahead of Cowher.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I agree, as much as I hate to say it because I really liked Cowher, but if Tomlin takes this team to the Super Bowl and pulls off a win, then he passes Cowher. His style of coaching may not appeal to all of us but a win will have proved it works. I hope he can rally the team and pull off the upset.

6. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Agreed, and right now he's a distant 3rd for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I don't like comparing players and coaches from different eras due to all the variables, but you can't argue with Tomlin's record. I would agree. And I loved Cowher.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    If he wins said super bowl, then agree. He will have more Super Bowls than Cowher and still no losing seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Tough call for me. I'm far from a Tomlin hater, but at this point I still wouldn't put him above Noll or Cowher. Maybe I'll answer again after we see what happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I've always felt Cowher and Tomlin were equal and think they are very similar coaches.

Tomlin could end up with more hardware but I think they are on the same level as a coach.

I put Noll ahead of both and not because of SB's, just because I think he had a better football mind.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. steelersfansince84

steelersfansince84 Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016

I agree with you 100%

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    its one game. nothing more.

13. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
  14. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I think it would be a huge win and great but you have to win superbowls, not just beat the pats. This is a world class franchise that should only be worried about rings, not beating other teams. Watching Brady and the cheats go down in flames is icing, but the cake is #7. Leave that "beating team x is everything" mentality to losers like the Browns whose superbowls are beating us once every few years. So after that winded answer I say no, beating the pats and not winning the superbowl is a disappointment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If he wins the AFCCG AND the Super Bowl, I agree.

16. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Let's see how he does with the likes of Kordell Stewart, Kent Graham, etc before we put him ahead of Cowher.

But this is HIS team now. Nobody can say otherwise. If he wins here, the naysayers will have to eat crow. It'll be delicious.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If the Steelers win the SB, those haters (Cowherd, Whitlock) over at FOX are going to hear about it from me.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Cowher never had Ben in his prime, but I like Mike Tomlin too.

Its hard to compare really. In the end its the amount of rings. If Tomlin wins his second he takes his spot as 2nd.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Agree in terms of Noll being a superior football mind. I like Tomlin but I see him more as a get the players motivated to play coach and not a guy who can coach the team to a win. I also agree with the other poster who said Tomlin in so many words had the luxury of inheriting a championship caliber team with a top ranked defense and franchise quarterback installed already. Ben had been key to Tomlin's success over the years, when he hangs them up we will get a better idea of where Tomlin falls as a coach.

20. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Disagree. One year and one game does not the second best coach make. It would be great for his case when it's all said and done though. I'm also hardcore rooting for that to happen. I really don't care "who's better" anyway. I just care that the Steelers win EVERY game regardless of WHO the coach is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    This.

Once Cowher got a HOF/Franchise QB, he won a SB pretty quickly. Tomlin's had Ben in his prime. Once Ben retires and if Tomlin has an average QB, I'll be interested to see what he does.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Which record? His record against bad teams or his record against good teams? There's a difference when it comes to Tomlin ya know? LOL! Tomlin is the only coach I know of that actually has two records. I mean he doesn't doesn't he? He doesn't just have an overall record that people look at. He has another sub record that people look at to say that his overall record is less impressive. Weird really.

23. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I've always been intrigued by the same thing about Tomlin. Also Mike McCarthy. HOWEVER, the thing with McCarthy that I was telling someone the other day is this. We were talking about Belichick being a great football mind and I was agreeing but I said IF I wanted to play devil's advocate against him I'd say "Well yeah technically he DID draft Tom Brady BUT if he's the best football mind and judge of talent ever then why did it take an injury for Brady to get the job?" But with McCarthy he had one of the greatest and absolutely most dependable qb of all time and he let him go for an unproven guy. Now we know what Rodgers has turned in to but at the time we have no idea. I'll say this about McCarthy. He has guts big time and I'd say it has for sure paid off but there were many calling for his head when he let Favre go and if it hadn't worked out there would be even more. I still wanna see McCarthy post Rodgers though. Or at least post true franchise qb.

24. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    I've been a Tomlin doubter for the past couple of years but I'm slowly coming around. He has surprised me with how far he has taken the team

Also I think a lot of my doubts were believing after 9 years that the team needed a new voice and new way of doing things. The other part is I think having a stratiegest or tactician is what they needed more than a players coach at this time.

Now I think I could be wrong and he's really impressed me.

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree Chuck Noll forgot more about football then MT & Bill Cowher will ever know.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1