1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

After watching the Super Bowl, we're a long way away from there

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by saturdaysarebetter, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Mahomes depends too much on his legs to have the longevity Brady had. I’d expect his career arc to be closer to a better Russell Wilson than Tom Brady. I’d be very surprised if Mahomes is playing at a high level in his mid-30s.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  2. Iron Nickel

Iron Nickel Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2023
    It's funny what people see and the conclusions they draw.

To me that game hammers home the importance of defense. In the biggest games you must be able to get stops in crucial moments to win. Offense of course matters too but the blueprint I would be using in today's NFL is quite simple. Defense that can get quick stops, not this trend we are seeing of defenses that bleed snaps but a unit that gets the ball back. And an explosive offense that can hurt defenses when they sell out to stop the run.

Where SF came up short is they need to drive the field every time they need points. Only explosive plays they get are when they turn screens and short passes or runs into long gainers. And vs the best defenses in the playoffs those things dry up. They should have lost to Detroit but were fortunate that Detroit imploded and didn't have enough defense.

So back to Pittsburgh they need a QB to challenge Kenny or to replace him. The offensive line needs a tackle of which there are many in this draft. And the defense needs help to be better around the key pieces already in place. This team isn't going to grow a top offense in one offseason. So defense has to be elite or damn near if they want to contend.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The playoff rule changed 2 years ago, and taking the ball made sense as their D was gassed. I get your point about not knowing the rule. but taking the ball is a no brainer in that situation if you ask me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Reid's analytical dept says your wrong. Andy Reid was supposedly told if OT
    comes about to not take ball first. It didn't matter SF won the coin toss. Kyle Shanahan and
    For all his genius's can't seem to win the big one. Sorta like the Buffalo Bills.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  5. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Coaching as well. They abandoned the run and seemed to put it all on Purdy's shoulders. The 3rd down stats sucked, but little to no adjustment on the blitz and abandon your strength. KC played well when they needed to and took advantage of turn overs, that alone will win you a lot of games, even if the stats are better for the other team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    This SB made me think of that old NFL saying, "Defense wins Championships".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Do you think this is what was told to KP under Matt Canada and MT?
    Play it close to the vest and no turnovers and we will.let our defense win it or
    Placekicker?

8. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Have no idea, but inconsistent play likely cost the game for the 9'ers. Credit has to be given to the Chiefs D as well, but get the first down at the 2 minute mark, run down some clock, get the FG nad Mahomes has 40 seconds more or less. That may be enough as it's Mahomes, but it's those things you don't do that come back to bite you, they didn't and got bit lol.

9. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    But, but your the great 49 ers and you have Brock Purdy lol and all those other weapons
    and boy genius Kyle Shanhan. Defense won this game for KC and having a generational
    QB that majority of the other NFL teams don't have. Repeat people
    only about 2 other teams have a QB somewhat comparable to this generational talent. You Better
    make the best of what you have to work with. Coaching and comparable talent at all other positions must
    Be recognized for these are the only way to beat a generational talent that we are seeing playing out.

10. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    If SF makes that extra point we probably wouldn't have to list to another off-season of Mahomes as a generational whatever. They'd be talking about the brave young Purdy as the next big thing.

One extra point..

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Like the bus use to say, woulda,shoulda,coulda. Now get back to your Iowa State
    Gym clothes.! And your Purdy Jerseys.

12. Old Dipstick

Old Dipstick Member

Mar 26, 2022
    upload_2024-2-12_17-19-8.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Do you even know what brock performed at?

Screenshot_20240212_172301_Chrome.jpg

Do you even know what Mahomes performed at?

Screenshot_20240212_172549_Chrome.jpg

I swear some people don't even watch football. Because @saturdaysarebetter clearly has no idea how those two QB's performed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Screenshot_20240212_172950_Chrome.jpg

Oh, this is type of person the op is. Dude clearly doesn't understand much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

correct - we are NO WHERE close to a 'dude'.

16. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I thought SF did a terrible job with the blitz, they never seemed to keep a RB in the backfield to help with that, they never adjusted. On the critical third down in OT he had no one back there and I said to my son they will blitz and he will have to throw it away. It made no sense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    What other teams are besides maybe 3 others?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Hahah. Keep dreaming. Mahomes is gonna play 20 years when it's all said and done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Buffalo
    Cincinnati
    Chargers
    Ravens
    Jacksonville
    Houston
    Miami
    Dallas
    Philly
    Detroit
    Green Bay
    SF
    Rams

Rams I hesitate on because Stafford is very close to the end but he actually had an outstanding season.

All those teams are in a way better QB spot. Obviously a lot of those guys need to prove they can win in the playoffs more consistently.

20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Can't forget the Chargers. Harbaugh and Herbert. Plus that team has some stackage. Just need a coach to get them over the mountain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Purdy was the last player drafted a few years ago, he's not an elite QB.

22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I left them out deliberately for that is one of the teams @Blast Furnace was referencing most likely.

Just wanted to inform others of potential Darkhorse's in the Conference.

• Like Like x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree. There are maybe 3 Qbs...we must worry about, and one was a rookie last year(CJ Stroud), and We don't know how the league will play Him this year, Burrow (can he stay healthy??), and P. Mahomes....they will be losing more players this year....the rest of the guys....hmmm....I've seen one good game Here, or there .....I was told years ago watch out for J. Allen, Lamar, and the rest....I'm still waiting. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  24. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    #2 wrong… came back from double digits against Detroit in NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Would take Purdy as a Steeler qb in a second. Man threw for 31 tds. Take all 3 of our qbs 6 seasons combined to do that
    BTW only Purdys 2 season.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1