1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

After two games, What changes to the lineups would you make?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelers5859, Sep 17, 2013.

1. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    1. Bring in Max Starks for a look

2. If he's good, put Adams at RT, bench Gilbert

3. Moye needs to start.

4. Name Felix Jones the starter

5. Consider signing Willis McGhee and cut Redman.

6. Resign Reggie Dunn and use him as a third down back or at least a decoy.

1. Incorporate Fangupo in the rotation. I think McClendon is doing awesome but just doesn't have enough lead in the pants for short yardage.

2. Leave Jarvis Jones on the outside.

3. Do not use the cross-dog blitz ever again

4. Send some corner blitzes. Gay is good at this.

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Demote Cotch and put in Wheaton and Moye more. I would actually say use Wheaton to get you down the field and when we are in the red zone put in Moye for Ben to just throw it up to him. We need a special teams threat but we don't have one on the roster. I mean a true threat. Last night we had Dwyer and Jones and sometimes Redman back on kickoffs. That's a short yardage back and 2 guys that wouldn't even be in the league right now if not for injuries. On defense we HAVE to get some push and I would really like to see Jarvis just flat our rushing off the edge instead of dropping back in coverage.

3. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I would sure like to see Will Johnson in at FB more often. I'm not sure of the snap count he's had, but I only recall seeing him a few times last night and the first game I don't believe he had a single snap. Aside from the obvious blocking help he provides, he's a legitimate weapon out of the backfield that the opposition has to account for.

4. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    bring someone at left tackle (i don't think max is in shape there will be someone better around ) bench gilbert and put adams at rt

i still can't believe we carried whimper on the roster

5. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I felt like I saw him quite a bit last night I don't remember him ever being targeted.

6. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I saw him, too...running off the field. I never saw him targeted either. I just dont get it. Haley is very unimaginative in his play calling and, in fact, that would be the FIRST roster move I make. Get rid of Haley. I know, I know- firing a coach during the season is a bad move. To me, you make the move and stop the bleeding now instead of continuing this debacle the entire season.

7. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    The BYE week could prove to be rather interesting, especially if we are 0 - 4. :hmmm:

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I wouldn't be against it, promote Kirby like they were going to, he'd probably implement a system very similar to BA's and just hope his situational play calling is better then BA's was. Ben would be comfortable again and hopefully start playing better than he has these past 2 weeks.

9. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    kirbi wilson is not the running back coach ? not that he is doing very well his job too
    maybe randy fichtner

10. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I just looked it up and he was only on for 7 offensive snaps.

Another note; Beachum was only in for 2 plays. I thought Pouncey going down last week and Beachum filling in, really limited what they wanted to do with him as an extra TE?? So, we get Velasco up to speed so he can start and allow Beachum to be in for 2 plays?!

Not saying these things would solve our offensive issues, but it is confusing.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, he is and no, not doing anything special with our RB's but not a whole lot to work with there. My main reasoning is getting a guy familiar with Ben back at OC that will cater to his strengths. BA had his faults but the offense was light years better under him then what we have seen these past 2 weeks.

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Last night after the game they were talking about Beachum not being in there for that special package. They said the reason is because he's not familiar with the no huddle hurry up stuff.

13. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    -Find a new LT to tart at LT

-Move Adams to RT

-Have Beachum ready to go to fill in at either Guard position and insert him as soon as one of the current starters shows signs of being bad, which will tend to happen during the second or third offensive possession.

-If Sanders isn't going to be resigned next season, which he clearly won't be, then trade him to New England for draft picks. That will free up money to sign a new LT.

-Insert Wheaton/Moye into his spot. Use Weaton to drive the field, and Moye in the redzone. I also like the lineup of Brown/Wheaton/Moye.

-David Johnson isnt't playing, eliminate him. Isn't there another tight end too? McCoy? If so, eliminate him.

-If there is cap space, try out new running backs and try to find someone who brings some speed and quickness.

-And then just start Jones over Worilds, but maybe move Worilds inside if Williams is struggling.

If we wanted to be exotic, which at this point I would strongly consider, then I would look at the gap in production from Woodley and Worilds and see if it is worth carrying Woodley's massive contract. If it isn't, which I dont think it is, then try to trade him and get his contract off the books.

If we had depth at CB, I would also strongly consider getting rid of Taylor, even though he is clearly their best. But we don't have that depth, so keep him for at least this season.

And finally,(here is where I get called crazy), but if we can get a good offer for AB, do it and get him off the books, He is way overpaid for his production level.

14. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Changes I would make:
    1. FTHI
    2. cut Redman
    3. Keep a TE or FB in to block on every passing down
    4. Stop throwing deep outs to Sanders
    5. Limit WR screens to 1 per game
    6. Force Ben to watch film (if he is, why is he not using his dumpoff/outlet receivers when the deeper targets are covered?)
    7. Never, ever, hand the ball off to Cotchery again.

15. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    At least our olineman made it through a game without getting hurt. :applaud:

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    beachum would be my starting LT. adams would go to the right side maybe. if he looks like he did last night gilbert would get the spot back, I will say he looked slightly better last night for the most part.

I would use our FB as he was meant to be used.

I would get rid of any TE that can't catch and block both.

move AB back to the # 2 or the slot.

wheaton and moye would see more field time.

JJ would start and I would really pound some reps in our other two ilb'ers.

I would also tell Timmons to wake up and make some plays or we will ask you for a reduction in salary.

ziggy is the one slowest lineman I have ever seen. heyward and keisel would start.

ben throw the friggin ball on time and get your throws down.

shamarko, watch what your aiming at and hit it. clark quit getting out of position and trying to make a big hit, you would have a ton more interceptions.

troy, I loved the fire I saw from you.:cool:

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Dude you are SO right about Ziggy! I told my dad last night on a play where Ziggy was running free that he just sorta froze and and then went at him again and jumped up to bat the ball down! Timmons had a play running free where he hesitated as well. That's just NOT Dick Lebeau's defense. WHERE ARE THE PRESSURE AND HITS??? I don't have much faith in Heyward though but he can't be any worth than Ziggy for sure.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    that may have been the best game I've seen heyward play so far. ziggy was running but wasn't going anywhere. I thought Wilson was playing better then Williams, but Timmons has no excuse. he needs to attack the LOS.:cool:

19. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah Williams missed some gaps for sure.

20. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    i hate to say it, but Haley needs to go.

Moye and Wheaton both need to be in the game. Cotch needs to be dropped to the 5th wr or bring up someone from the practice squad to replace him all together. nothing against him, but he doesnt bring anything special to the table. we know what he is at this point and i would much rather see the young guys.

they need to pick a rb and stick with him. enough with the rotation. its not working.

get Miller healthy and use a lot of the 2 TE sets with Paulson.

if this team drops to 0-3 than i think changes need to happen on defense. Thomas needs to start. Jones needs to be in for every down and i would pick either Williams or Wilson be the every down starter. its time for Heyward to start over Hood and i want more of Woods.

21. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Derek Moye gets used more than just a redzone target.. could be a #1 type
    Felix Jones is the feature runner until Bell returns.. he fits better than the other 2
    Jarvis Jones gets all the snaps at ROLB.. why not, he's the best ROLB on the team
    Vince Williams continues to get the snaps at ILB.. 8 tackles vs Cincy and he'll learn fast with his football IQ
    Markus Wheaton starts getting Cotchery's playing time.. more upside without question
    Keisel, Heyward, Hood and Woods continue to earn playing time at DE.. say what you want, I like this group
    Fangupo gets playing time moving forward.. keep McClendon fresh and this D-line could be GOOD

22. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    We need bigger backs who can beat off defenders....

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This right here, best assessment I have seen. :applaud:

24. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I start dwyer with felix getting a lot of snaps...while redman hits the buffet till his weight is back up....and we all pray liberty bell is the real deal.

Cotchery is reliable...we need speed, shock, and awe....so Wheaton and Moye get more snaps

OUT WHIMPER - IN REID FRAGEL Bengals PS Whimper might be the vet....but we all ..including the coaches...are terrified he is going to end up on the field for any length of time. Fragel is a former TE...can be that blocking TE...with an actual chance to catch a pass...as well as a backup RT

OUT SHAYNE GRAHAM - IN DONTAY MOCH Cardinals PS Moch is a strong ST player...and would give the Steelers the pure speed rusher they don't have now....Suisham is fine

OUT DAVID JOHNSON - IN REGGIE DUNN DJ is not playing...Heath should be back soon...and Palmer and FRAGEL and even Beachum can all play the role of blocking TE Dunn however is the speed we saw Bernard do on that TD run...untouched...flew past everyone.....add in the fact that he can run that deep route faster than Sanders and Brown...and it opens up the entire O.....plus saves Brown for return duties.

HACK

25. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Who really thinks these rookie wr's are going to get looks from Ben? I've seen Wheaton on the field a lot for a rookie wr, but don't think he's been targeted at all (I may be wrong), but these guys aren't gonna be any better than the average rookie wr running routes. IMHO