1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

After next season, Bell will be considered the 4th best back in NFL

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Barkley will surpass him; that kid is nuts. 4.4 speed with 29 reps on bench. I know, I know: Football is not played on a track or weight bench, but he has already shown he is a great player. And Barkley has a stronger drive than Bell; the kid always wants to get better while Bell is content to kick back and blow down some hippie lettuce.

Elliott will also be considered better than Bell, as he has better top speed that Bell lacks. With that quicker burst, Elliott is just a little more of a game changer - no 6 week suspension this season.

Several backs could take over 3rd place.

Don't get me wrong, I want Bell on this team at a fair price, but don't be reckless.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah I remember another Penn State back that was a sure fire can’t miss in Kijana Carter. Also I’m taking Bell over Elliott if I’m building a team but that’s just me.

3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Lol. Hilarious man. Just hilarious. I know its boring right now but watch some basketball or something. You are thinking way to much. I would take bell over elliot any day. Lets see how he does now that the line isnt what it was.

Barkley may be a brown. Enough said

I would take gurley over elliot anyway

• Like Like x 2
  4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    It's still early................

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You've apparently forgotten how Bell completely changed his body after making it to the NFL. He has certainly done some stupid stuff, but he's not lazy.

Gurley is already better, but Barkley and Elliott? Sorry, no. Not yet and no, to be more specific.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I would probably take zeke over anyone he's the best combination of power and finesse. He has breakaway explosive speed. Gurley is a beast as well but zeke is more explosive but all around wise bell the best.

7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I guess I just don't get why someone has to start a thread like this. First off I will say I think Barkley is the real deal and a great kid, but my question is does it matter who is the best or 2nd, 3rd, 4th is ???? All I care about as a Steeler fan is players who produce and I have yet to see where Bell hasn't done that. I could care less if he is the best or 5th best as long as we are winning and as long as he is producing I am glad, the continued hate for Bell cracks me up. Soon to come on TSFMB:

Ben will be the 4th best QB next year
    Heyward will be the 4th best 3-4 DE
    AB will be the best WR next year
    Haden will be the 13th best CB next year
    Pouncey will be the 4th best C next year

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• Like Like x 2
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The point is the money. If he is not tops in the league don't pay him like it... it is just being realistic. If you overpay, you can't pay for other great players that could potentially help out your team.

Honestly, I think it is a mistake if Browns take Barkley in top 5 pick. You got to take a linemen, pass rusher, or QB when you draft that high.

I know this has nothing to do with it, but I think back to Kijana Carter too. When was the last great Penn State RB in the NFL? There were a lot of great PSU RB's after Kijana too. They all got a lot of carries in college and then break down in the NFL, and don't do squat.

Only RB I'm drafting that high is Adrian Peterson, and I don't think Barkley, as good as he is, is at AP's level.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We will never be able to field a formidable defense with a 16 million/yr rb. not when

you can get one for about 1/3 of that price.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Nope your wrong it has nothing to do with being tops in the league cause if it did we would have a thread about Ben making a ton of money cause he is not tops.......this is about hate people have for Bell!

As far as Barkley going he is a top talent, to pass him up is crazy. I don't care about the long list of Penn St RB's that have failed in the NFL. If this poor kid goes to the Clowns he may follow in their foot steps but it won't be cause of lock of talent it will be cause the clowns are cursed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I disagree, the freakin Eagles just won a SB with a 17m DT.....17m, it is all about the people you have around them and we have 2 spots on the D that is garbage and nothing on the roster to replace it with. The GM and the coaching need to make better personal decisions. Like I have said over and over it is not about the money take a look at the roster we have so much dead weight. Mitchell, Golden, Sensabaugh, Wilcox and Gay all taking up valuable cap space and we all know when they are in there they stink.

As for 16m that is a lot but holy Christ can we wait and see what we pay him before we nail him up? You enjoy that production your gonna get for 1/3 of the price cause that is what you will get like it or not 1/3 production. You Bell hater only see tunnel vision what you are not seeing is the effect Bell has on everyone else. If you think the guys around this team will be just as good your wrong. Bell makes everyone better, Bell allows Ben to do what he does and he knows the safety valve is right there. Ben also knows that when he sees the blitz coming Bell will handle it, so if you replace that with 1/3 production we now have 2/3 of Ben on the ground....HELLO LANDRY JONES & GOOD BYE SEASON!!!!!!! You also overlook how much more attention AB will get since you only have 1/3 of the production out of you 1/3 of a RB.

Keep on hating that is fine..........:frustrated::frustrated::frustrated::beathorse::beathorse::beathorse:

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A few of his posts ago, I thought the same thing. But then it crossed my mind, it’s a message board. Sure, a lot of his posts are to get attention to himself, but that’s true of a significant amount of what gets put on the internet. It’s a slow time of the year for posts. Right now, he’s posting whatever he can pull out of his @$$. At least his illogical thoughts give us something to respond to?

:dontknow:

• Like Like x 3
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Apparently, after next season, Bell will be considered the 4th best back in the NFL by one person.

• Like Like x 2
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah you make a great point :smiley1:, it just blows he away how now we are going to compare Bell to a guy who never played a snap in the NFL(who I agree looks to be a good player) out of pure hate for Bell. :shrug:

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    ....and he probably root for the Steelers and when Bell score tell everyone how great he is or how good of a move it was to sign him.......:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Bell is a great back but for how long? You still have to field a team of good players. RBs just don't last at the level Bell has played at forever. That's my concern with a big long term contract. When does that time come and at what cost to the rest of the team. There is a reason that we are lacking on the defensive side of the ball. Money. The balance of pay to the offense is far and away more than on defense and it shows. It didn't matter what Bell has done in the past, it only matters what Bell will do in the future and for how long. We have seen many stingy players get paid and production goes down. He's taken a lot of usage on his body already and RBs just start to break down at some point. Even the best of them. It's not hate it's just logic.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Mac, I hear what your saying and agree about for how long a RB can play but Bell is 26. If we can't pay a 26 year old guy who is at the top of his game(although he might slip to 4th next season:rolleyes:) then we have problems. I do not like giving Bell this kind of money but like I stated before Ben at the end no need to take a step back and yeah letting Bell go is a step back.

Where I strongly disagree with you is your take on where our money is going. Here is a breakdown of where teams money is:

Cheats O-88m D-72m
    Philly O-102m D-89m
    GB O-97m D56m
    Car O-77m D-71
    ATL O-104m D-49m
    Steelers O-94m D-81

the exception are:

Jax O-59m D-111m
    Min O-54m D-85m

these 2 have no franchize QB eating up space.

Now these numbers are going to change with FA but to say our money is spent on the wrong side is misleading. Also another thing to point out is where are the top salaries, the offense and what direction is the NFL going...offense. Our problem is not spending on Bell our problem is spending 8m on mitchell, 3.8 on Wilcox, 3.6m on a back up Alualu(who is backing up 2 guys making 26m), 1.8 on Golden and1.6 on Sensabaugh there is our problem tons of money on guys that offer nothing......:smiley1:

19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Personally if Bell is retained, good. If they let Bell walk, oh well, this Offense will be fine. It's the defense i'm worried about.

I am of the thought process like most that would not overpay for Bell. They have less then 3 days to figure out if they will Franchise or sign him, deadline at 4:00 EST on Tuesday. Do the Steelers call his bluff and let him test FA? His rap demands are awfully high :lolol:

I also don't want to hear any $hit from Bell if they do franchise him with some of his horrible rap.

The clock is ticking.

As far as running backs the experts are saying the draft is deep. Conner was found in the 3rd.

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I kinda feel the same way I want Bell and feel our best chance to win is with Bell but if we don't get him there is always someone else....I just don't want to have to go the route of finding someone else. I know what we have with Bell and the biggest thing to me is in all reality we are in a 2 year window with Ben so I want the best talent here for him and Bell fits that. Yeah the D needs fixing but not signing Bell isn't going to help that enough. We need 2 starters and we can get that even with signing Bell, heck we are better playing 9 man ball than putting Spence and Mitchell out there.....

As for the whole rap and hearing things, hate to break it to you but this isn't the 70's or 80's anymore it is 2018 and social media is going to have something. What kills me is people keep bringing up how Bell tweets and raps about the tag or his contract but people never bring up how he does the same about wanting to sign here or being a Steeler, which by the way he has done and not to many days ago...........:smiley1:

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    So now a rookie RB who never played a down in the NFL will be considered better than Bell :facepalm:.

• Like Like x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't say it was spent on the wrong side of the ball. It's more about if you spend all your money on one side you can't expect to have a good balance on the other side going cheap. With what we are spending on the defensive side we should have a far better product. I agree we have to stop paying for Mitchell. We also though have 8.7 mil. tied up in shazier that won't even be on the field. Take that away and we are to about 72 mil. on our defense. Haden 10 , heyward 10 and we are down to about 51 mil. for 22 and actually 23 other players without shazier on the field. That's pretty cheap by any standards. Cut Mitchell, golden and sensabaugh and we add about 8 mil. to that but now we need that back in players under contract. We can't do it with all rookies. We saw last year that the offense can't do it alone. So we pay Bell, which I am not against but for how much and how long is my problem. The Vikings struggled with APs contract. They didn't have near the talent we do. There has to be an evening of the money spent to field a quality roster on both sides of the ball. I for one would find a cheaper punter to start with. That's too much money tied up in that position. Berry is good but a lot of guys can punt for much less. We just have to find them.:cool:

23. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    As long as the Steelers are the 1st-best team in the NFL next year.

• Like Like x 2
  24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    You can't pick and choose about where the money is, the fact is we are spending a fair equal value on D and the big argument here is we need to spend on D....we are. Heyward 12.4, Haden 11.9, Shazier(can't help this but it is there) 8.7, Mitchell 8.1, Tuitt 5.4(restructured), Wilcox 3.8, Alualu 3.6, Dupree 2.9, Burns 2.6...etc the money is being spent. So because the money is spent badly we sould reward the guys that are playing good for us, like Bell???? That ratio of money spent o vs D is pretty good and if you look around pretty much standard.... You are talking about cutting guys well that should tell ya something, you know we have bad players with big contracts that is the problem not Bell wanting big money......

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    without mitchell and shazier on the field thats still costing the defense nearly 12 mil.. we still then need 2 players in those spots, so now we are at 14- 15 mil. most likely. thats a big chunk of the defensive money being spent and we frankly know not what we will have. i think it's a smart move to try and get wilcox's money down for what he would bring. i think we will be OK at CB with sutton, burns, haden and hilton. we have a couple of options for the 5th in allen which could double as a safety for us. thats pretty cost effective.

golden gone, mitchell gone, gay gone, sensabaugh gone. alualu stays no matter what, he played well for us. better than tuitt or at least as good as tuitt ever has. walton also stays. we sign chickillo back, use adams and huguenin as the 4th OLB. replace mccullers in the draft. bring in at least two ILB'ers in the draft and a safety. find a punter. draft a RB and a WR. draft O-line help. malik golden stays. dangerfield? we will see. we also have some other corners to sort out. phillips, ducre, crawford. hit on some UDFA linemen and let our new coaches make the difference. if we have the money for bell then use it. i wouldn't pay over 14 mil a year though for any RB. thats too much. :cool: