1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

After more thought JJ did score

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Dec 18, 2017.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Now that I have had more time to review tape and the rules I now believe the play was a TD . The front of the GL is a imaginary plane from the line to the sky . I have reviewed many plays where a RB or a QB extend the ball over that plane and the ball is knocked away. None of those are called fumbles .

The same rule should apply to a WR . Once he establishes control on one side of the GL and extends the ball across the imaginary barrier he has broke the plane of the GL and at that point it is now a TD . The ground or a player knocking it away doesn't change the fact the ball broke the plane of the GL while in control of the player ...

Look at it this way . Could they have called it incomplete if the defender smacked it away after he broke the plane ? Could they have called it a fumble had the defender smacked it away ? I say no to both .

The process of the catch is completed with control in front of the plane and control as it crosses the plane .The GL is not the same as the sideline . You can hold a ball over the sideline and not be out of bounds . When you hold a ball across the GL it is supposed to be a TD at that point.

The NFL needs to get this fixed ...

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I agree with the fact that once the plane was broken the play was over. The catch , or more importantly, control was never in question during the play, the reception or the extension over the goal line. Once over the plane the play was essentially over. There cant be or better yet there shouldnt ever be a review of what happens after the play is over. Meaning that they should never be able to review what happens after the whistle or what happens after the play is officially over. Now they can throw flags for conduct and stuff but that does not affect the play itself. I am in total disbelief over the NFL and its rules that may have been made with the best intent, but common sense has been ruled out and insanity is the new norm!!

3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    What a weird thread. So you've had time to think about it and you have determined it's a catch, not because you think it's a catch under the current rules, but because you think the rules are stupid, so therefore, it's a catch.

4. blackNgold

blackNgold Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2014
    I’m not saying the ball hit the ground, but I sure as hell didn’t see it. The Al Riveron explanation was botched because you can see James hand under the ball with control where he said it hit the ground.

Oh well... Time for me to get over it. It’s pretty clear nobody working for the NFL has the balls to stand up to a horrible call.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Let’s move on... it’s unhealthy

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    He did catch the ball & the ball actually broke the plane of the goal line = touchdown. But when your playing the Patriots we all know the refs will & cannot allow the Patriots to lose games so they use the power of the whistle. Remember the bs tuck game?? Now this. If you really think JJ didn't score that winning touchdown, then consider yourself legally blind & mentally retarded...

7. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Remember when Martavis Bryant was forced to catch his td pass with 1 hand?? Why was that?? Because the Patriots was crystal clearly holding his other hand. But once again the damn refs allow the Patriots to cheat & not call a holding penalty. Wtf man how is it possible for that not to be a holding penalty?? But now yet again they wanna take away JJ winning touchdown pass??

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The no-call on Bryant's touchdown was awful. Maybe the official was going to throw the flag if it fell incomplete. That's why you see flags late on pass interference sometimes, but I don't like it. It's important to throw the flag even if you know it is going to be declined, to show the players that you are watching the crap they are trying to get away with on the play.

The reversal on the touchdown by James was the right call. Holding on to the ball through the process of hitting the ground takes precedence and James failed to do that. And people keep defending the guy for trying to make a play, but he needs to know the rule there. He needs to complete the catch first. His failure to know the rule cost hims team the winning touchdown, or at least the ball inside the one with 28 seconds remaining.

The Steelers were not prepared. They should have had three plays called during the time-out after Smith-Schuster's catch-and-run. They should have had a run-pass option for second down in case they got close. And no way in hell they should have a route that has a Heyward-Bey catching the ball in bounds at the eight.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  9. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    i thought goodell hated the pats because of Brady but I could be wrong

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Rich

Rich Guest

12. blackNgold

Dec 15, 2014
    If you look at the Nfl on Twitter, they have a post that says “Go Pats Go!!” after they beat the Steelers. Not only that, but they updated their cover photo to a photo of the game ending interception...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    welp. lol

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    So you are saying he should know that even though his knee elbow body and everything that needs to be on the ground is on the ground, that he is not touched, and demonstrates enough control once on the ground to move the ball into his chest and then towards the goaline where the ball then comes slightly loos in his grip as the lunge contacts the ground (allegedly )he should know that will not be ruled a TD aND be overturned and should there fore make no effort to win the game ala AB the year before.yep sounds plausible

• Like Like x 1
  15. JakeTN1

JakeTN1 Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Just wondering?? If the ball came out and the Pat player fell on it, would it have been a recovered fumble?? Also, if it did come out and somehow JJ fell on it, what would have been the outcome??

16. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    YEP,had all day yesterday to wallow in the mud about it,,I made my points and let my frustrations known ,but I woke up this morning and its still a loss ,nothing else to do or say about it

17. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I thought the same thing last night! The pats should be 8-6 if not for direct impact to the game by officials.

People all year long have been saying the pats are beatable this year. They are! Without help that is...

19. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    They could easily change the rule. Since JJ was not in the air, falling to the ground anymore, the play should be over when the goal-line plane is broken. That should be the rule. I understand receivers already in the end zone who catch the ball in the air have to prove they have control to the ground, but as soon as you are on the ground with control, the play should be over. The current rules are ridiculous. There are times a player rolls over with the ball with control and they lose it trying to switch hands or something and they say incomplete, or in JJ`s case, after stretching the ball over the goal line. That is what they need to change.

20. Rich

Rich Guest

21. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    The video below says it all folks. This is an interpretive rule and the referee in New York can decide games with it. James’ was way more of a catch than the one below. There is simply no way the NFL would take a game for NE on any call for any reason.

22. blackNgold

Dec 15, 2014
    I personally have to believe that Al Riveron choked and completely forgot about the indisputable evidence rule.

That’s the only way I can let it fly because anything else means the league is rigged, and it completely disgusts me.

23. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I agree but something has to be said and the situation shouldn’t be accepted. Think about a person who is the victim of a drunk driver, nothing is going to bring them back, but you have to externalize it and try to bring enough attention to it to try and prevent it the next go around. When you view the video below, you know they “chose” the winner of this game.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    That's the bottom line. It is what it is and no amount of complaining about it will change anything. They won, we lost, time to move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Frick32

Frick32 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I was so pissed...still don't understand it...but nothing can be done.

After thinking about it for a day...if the tables were reversed and Gronk did exactly what JJ did...I think I would be saying that it wasn't a catch, that is was a great call.

I think that is what being a fan is all about...but because it was against the Steelers...the call sucked...:cool::cool:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1