1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

AFC team no one wants to play: Pittsburgh Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Thigpen82, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    It all comes down to whether this team beats itself.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    All the talking heads are saying this ,,SMH ...The Steelers this ,The Steelers that ,,they can go take down Brady ,and Manning ..
    The one thing that makes me nervous is nobody is talking about the chiefs,,talk about going in hot ..Can't get much hotter than they are..They can play the no respect card all the way to SB 50

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I'm prty sure that the teams in the Playoffs are NOT afraid to play us.. We got help getting in, while the rest of the teams handled their buisness....

5. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I disagree about the Chiefs. They don't have the ability to get into a shoot out if their defense has a bad day. If they get into a game in which 30 points are needed to win I am not convinced they have the fire power to overcome a deficit.

As for the Steelers I am happy we made the dance and now it is a matter of taking care of business. I think since we tend to play to the level of our competition you will see a Steeler team more like the one against Arizona and the 2nd half of the Denver game.

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If Ben can make the good throws and stop making the bad ones we have the best Offense in the NFL . We have 2 of the top 10 fastest players in the entire NFL in Bryant and DHB ....We have 1 of the top 3 WR'S in the game , a great route runner with great hands and great open field running ability in Brown...Then we have a Big Strong WR with good hands and good speed in Wheaton. We also have a great route runner with very strong hands in Miller from the TE position..As you can see I didn't even have to mention the running game because the Steelers have a skill advantage against every Team in the Nfl even without a run game ...Imagine if Brady and the Patriots had these skill players ? They would almost never run and would break every passing record in the history of the NFL..

Now as good as all the above was the Defense is just as bad on the backend...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Louis Riddick said on Mike & Mike this morning that the Steelers CBs probably would not even be on another NFL team's roster they are so bad. NAILED IT!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I think people are looking at their opposition in those ten games.

But a hot streak is a hot streak.

9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    That is true so we should approach every game like it's going to take 35 plus to win....We should approach every snap on Defense throwing caution to the wind. Just play press , stunt upfront and blitz one of those poor DB'S on each and every play ...The worse that could happen is to get into a shootout ....This is what we need to be in anyway...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    To be fair, its not just Ben turning over the ball. It always seems to be Ben off his game, dropped passes, dumb penalties, missed FG's, swiss cheese secondary, Tomlin Dumb, Haley cute, Butler sitting back.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. FeedTheMachineFTM

Jan 1, 2012
    Yeah but they won the games against their inferior opponents ,,like they should have..They also started the 10 game streak with a win against us ,then went to Denver and beat them up ..All i'm saying is they can play that card just like any other team in that position ,"hey we'll show the world we're for real"..That kind of chip on a shoulder makes teams pretty dangerous IMO..

12. FeedTheMachineFTM

Jan 1, 2012
    Yeah ,i heard that too,,all i could do is nod my head in agreement .

13. FeedTheMachineFTM

Jan 1, 2012
    I don't get all this shootout mentality honestly..Yes our D is weak ,,so keep them on the bench for as long as possible ..Limit our opponents possessions and just keep getting 1st downs ..Plus scoring TD's instead of FG's obviously ..

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yep. We do dumb really well, and it has to stop if we're going to have the success that's there for the taking.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I disagree. We have several solid #4 and #5 corners on our roster.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    problem is we don't have the defense or special teams to bail us out if our offense falls flat. It will take a serious effort to win a SB this year.

Yes our special teams and defense can be serviceable, but they can also be shaky. PK is good, punting and coverage shaky at times. Defense ppg is good, sacks too but pass D is horrendous and relies on the turnovers.

17. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree. Ben is a factor, but not the only one by far.

18. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Great defenses have won with mediocre offenses

Great offenses have won with mediocre defenses

Question is, will we have the great offense, or the lousy one? Will we have the serviceable D, or the terrible one?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually get them on the bench as quick as you can and get the ball back as quick as you can. We will not have the run game to control the clock , if we play a slow pace it only benefits the other Team ... The Team with the best Offense should speed up the pace ......The Team with the better Defense should try and slow the pace ... Who wants to be in a close game and depend on this D for a stop late in the game ? I know I don't and that's what you get in a ball control game more often than not ...

20. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    "Keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys"
    I think Alex Smith is WAY underrated. The Chiefs will be tough for anybody.
    We will be too!

21. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    One good thing about this defense is that it ranks #3 (tied with the Jets defense) in the league in total takeaways at (30 takeaways).
    https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/takeaways-per-game

Another point is that they are tied for 9th place (tied with Saints) in turnover ratio (+2). There are 4-way ties for 6th and 7th place here, though. So, the Steelers are still about halfway down the list. :lolol:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/givetake

I think the strength of this defense will be to stop the opposing offense at the right times and help the team stay ahead of the turnover battle. Those two things should help with field position. The rest is up to the offense.

22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah I think it comes down to this... I think we can hang with any team, and have played most of the contenders pretty closely already this year.

Only teams I'm not sure of are PATs or Carolina.

23. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    whaaaaaaaaaaatttt Boswell has been money
    and if we worry about Carolina that still means one thing

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Steelers need #7 to play lights out during the playoffs and the defense
    is going to have to step it up also, or it will be a very short playoff run.