1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

AFC Playoff Forecast

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by WWW, Dec 6, 2011.

1. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    On black current record. On red, what I think are close games and possible losses. On blue, the potential record based on maximum & minimum possible losses
    Current Division Leaders:
    Houston: 9-3; @CIN, CAR, @IND, TEN. 13-3, 12-4 or 11-5
    Baltimore: 9-3; IND, @SD, CLE, @CIN 13-3, 12-4 or 11-5
    NE: 9-3; @WASH, @DEN, MIA, BUF 13-3, 12-4 or 11-5
    Denver: 7-5; CHI, NE, @BUF, KC 11-5, 10-6 or 9-7

Current Wild Card Race:
    Pittsburgh: 9-3; CLE, @SF, STL, @CLE 13-3 or 12-4
    Oakland: 7-5; @GB, DET, @KC, SD 11-5, 10-6, 9-7 or 8-8
    Cincinnati: 7-5; HOU, @STL, ARI, BAL 11-5, 10-6 or 9-7
    Tennessee: 7-5; NO, @IND, JAX, @HOU 11-5, 10-6 or 9-7
    NY Jets: 7-5; KC, @PHI, NYG, @ MIA 11-5, 10-6, 9-7 or 8-8

My guess is:
    Balt will drop a game @ SD or @CIN(12-4)
    NE will lose one (12-4)
    Hou will lose two (11-5)
    Den will go undefeated, or lose one (11-5 or 10-6)
    We'll handle our stuff, but SF being a close call (13-3 or 12-4)
    Oakland will struggle vs GB & Det (9-7)
    Cinci will lose 1 vs Bal or Hou (10-6)
    Tenn Wil lose NO and Hou (9-7)
    NYJ will lose 3 (8-8)

This way, NE, Hou and Den will be divison leaders.
    Bal and Pitt will depend mostly on our game vs SF than anything else (I'm pretty sure they'll drop one, if not @SD, then @CIN). One takes the division, the other the #5
    Cincy will get the #6 seed

Looking it this way, we're pretty much still on the #1 seed race

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Let's hope so.

I haven't watched the Ravens games in detail, but I'll say this: there have been a number of instances where teams could have got the better of them - for example, in the Browns game, McCoy just didn't a man wide open in the endzone, and scoring then would have changed the balance of the game considerably. Not to say they wouldn't have won. More that the Ravens are similar to us: some days they bring it, some days they scrape through.

3. codehead

codehead Member

Oct 25, 2011
    www just one question. Why do you keep using the word (on) in place of the word (in)? You did it in this post as well as your 3rdQ evaluation. Is english a second language? I'm not being rude just never really see that typo.

4. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Sorry about that. Yes, second language.
    Hope it's legible enough and understandable.

5. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    WWW - No need to apologize. I'm pretty sure most of us knew what you were talking about.

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    What?

7. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Wow dude... just wow... You say you're not being rude, but regardless of what you wrote, that comment was rude and presumptuous.

8. SteelerFanInKC

SteelerFanInKC Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

I have been preaching for awhile now, that we have a great chance of winning out and being the one seed. I think that Baltimore loses to either SD or Cinci or both. I think that Houston loses this week at Cinci. I had NE winning out but if we win out as well, we hold the tiebreaker over the chreatriots. Curious to know who you think the Cheatriots will lose to because other than Miami (game to be played in the cold at NE), NE's schedule is cake.

9. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would love for NE to lose to Miami or Denver, but it seems unlikely. Steelers did great on Sunday, but they need to avoid a let down against the Browns before we can talk about winning the #1 or #2 seed. I love to imagine how good Pittsburgh could be if they were healthy and consistent.

10. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    You can ask him why he uses parentheses for quoting instead of quotation marks. Must have been raised by wolves or something.

Nah, I'm just kidding. And hey WWW, don't be self-conscious about your language. I had NO IDEA English was your second language, and I can be a stickler about that stuff. I don't know how you sound, but you write better than most people born in America. No exaggeration.

11. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Man, if we win out and end up with the best record in the afc then the afc is in trouble.One game lost by new england and balt will do it.We can beat san fran

12. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Thanks HugeSnack, Diehardsteel and KnoxVegasSteel. I can see we have our backs covered round here. Appreciate your support!

SteelerFaninKC: I think NE will lose to MIA or DEN. Not both, but one of them. Both play great Defense, with players that can cover Welker & their TEs. Also, I can sense NE being overconfident looking forward both matchups.

13. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I see the Texans losing more than I see the Ratbirds losing a game. Just remember we need the texans and Ratbirds to lose just 1'game

14. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I know for sure he posts more clearly than me most times. I never would have guessed 2nd language.

Even if we are the number 1 AFC seed and make it all the way to the SB for what seems to be a rematch I'm not feeling very confident with our team right now. We've only had four quality wins this season (2 were to weak teams) 3 losses (with one being a virtual beat down) and the rest we limped across the finish line. This team can't get sharp consistently. I hope they started last week and finally put it together against the turds and finally get consistent.

15. codehead

codehead Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Sorry I truly intended no insult. I agree that his posts are quite good which is all the more reason it was a curiosity to me. I don't see the harm in asking. I figured correctly, I might add, that either English was not his native language or his keyboard was messed up somehow. And if English was a second language that he obviously takes great consideration with it and is very close to perfect, so he may like to know a small nuance that may not be obvious, as English is very difficult to learn. So I apologize if any insult was taken. And I am sorry that everyone else thinks any criticism, even if it is constructive, is unwarranted.

16. NecessaryRoughness

NecessaryRoughness Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I'm much more comfortable with that game knowing that we've got a few extra days to prepare.

17. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    san fran sucks...they will not score on us

18. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I believe Coney on this. I don't think he was rude either. Just asked a question. I chimed in because dubya's minor errors flew right past me and maybe most other people. I have some foreign friends who's english is very good yet there are slight nuances that they make. Usually I let them slide because I actually kind of like it, (one is a girl and her mistakes are adorable) but I know they all want the constructive corrections, as would any of us if we were speaking a second language. I think both people handled it correctly. We should all know that the written word can miscommunicate tone and precise intent. Especially on quickly written, sound bite message boards. Unlike me. There, I'm done playing peace maker for the day....:amen: :clapping:

19. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Not necessary. I was not offended (actually, I'm pretty much aware that my written English is far from perfect and conscious that I do make some mistakes, and always look forward to correct them). Even sometimes, after I write kilometric posts (such as my quarterly evaluations), I try to read them 3 or 4 times before posting, until it seems to me that everybody is going to understand my english.

Your question caught my attention (and maybe others too) 'cause, honestly, I've read worse grammar and spelling than mine here & at the other board, and never read someone calling another person for it. Really, when I say worse it is really worse! I've seen sentences & complete paragrapghs that can barely be understood.

Constructive criticism, either it's about football, grammar, english, spelling, math & stats, imprecisions about some facts, weather or even Rugby rules is welcome. And I think I speak for everyone when saying this. But, since we can't see each others gestures and eyes, sometimes it's not easy to know what other people mean when asking a simple question. IMO it happens on every board, regardless the topic it's related to.

No hard feelings and nothing to worry about. Anyway, thanks oldschool for your intervention and work as a mediator. I guess you'll need to invoice TerribleTowellFlying to cover your fee as a mediator, or was it probono?
    Maybe that's why you have Polamalu on your avatar, since it's kinda the good-mood guy.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who thought it was rude, impolite, excessive or whatever and stepped up for me. That's the atmosphere I love from Steeler Nation.

So... Can we continue talking 'bout football now?

:yeehaw:

20. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Man codehead, you just keeping digging yourself in deeper. You needed to quit typing after your opening sentence.

21. Steelballz

Steelballz Active Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This whole thread needs to be deleted! I'm sick of clicking on it to read a new comment only to find out it's another comment about grammar.....stick to the topic folks!! :frustrated:

22. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    ... and what are your comments about the Playoff Forecast? Everybody has an opinion regarding the rest of the schedule for playoff contenders. Let us know yours!

23. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I can't understand any of you. You can call it my superior intellect and royal upbringing or blame it on my back country puhblik edumacation (I will give you a hint...it's option two!)

24. Steelballz

Steelballz Active Member

Oct 17, 2011

My opinion is pretty simple......all I care about is the Steelers winning the last 4 games......I will then worry about the playoffs when we are in. 4 weeks left guys, A lot can happen, starting tonight with the Stains! GO STEELERS!!!! :herewego: