1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on anxiety/panic attacks

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Mashburn, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    For the last couple years I've noticed a crazy increase in people with anxiety and panic attacks. So what are some things that have helped you? So maybe this can help others new to it.

I can't take meds, because i had a brain tumor surgery. I have ptsd when i put meds in my hand. Including even Tylenol. So to help with my anxiety.....
    - try to sleep a full 8 hours
    - stay off my phone as much as possible
    - ginger candy. But I'm wanting to try chewing on ginger root.
    - breathing exercises
    - i think mine gets triggered by sensory over load. And I've almost thought of putting noise canceling headset on.
    - i an claustrophobic. However i strangely like being in a dark room with no sound. And the focus on my breathing.
    - i used to meditate. However my panic attack causes me to feel like my meditation, so now i don't like to meditate anymore..... but i highly recommend it.
    - my brother suffers from panic attacks. What has helped him is getting his mind to focus on his senses. Like taking his finger nail to counting the threads in the jeans.

• Like Like x 3
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Only time I ever came close was the 1st 10 minutes I step out on a stage ,and play music, and right before the Hitting started every time I stepped into the ring.
    When I played sports in School it never bothered Me because I was with a team.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I play chess or watch comedy. I find things to help me escape reality. Logging onto fb or Twitter are a no go. They only make my anxiety worse or help turn it into a depression episode. Another thing I do is take a shower, even I took one earlier.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Social media makes mine worse. Some times it's others getting under my skin and some times it's my fault for falling into that crap of arguing.

I actually had to leave a football forum for people who were fans of different teams. We would trash talk, but over half took it way too far with being personal.

But I'm sure that has made my anxiety to get worse thry the day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    When i was a young buck i was fine. But about 5 years ago a switch flipped.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    For me it's not so much arguing; it's people posting political issues that piss me off.

7. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Just posted this a couple days ago.

Screenshot_20220714-165258_Facebook.jpg

• Winner Winner x 3
  8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    A panic attack is scary ****!!!!! I've only had it once or twice but freaked me out. As for getting 8 hours sleep, I'm convinced the only humans that get 8 straight hours of sleep are children.

I've lived a life of, better living through chemistry. Just a little not a lot. Sorry OP can't get through it with help from my little friends.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    GUMMI BEARS.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Some good stuff listed, but I'll add one.

Make sure to accomplish something regularly. Whether it's cleaning that garage shelf that you've been staring at, or just getting some good yard work done. Completing a task goes a long way to helping you feel good about things. Completing things regularly can be a big help.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I take a sleeping pill each night not because of anxiety, but just a very active brain that doesn't like to shut off when my body does. The disclosure says it's also for depression but I'm far from that. No issues when I'm intentionally awake but I've been around many people who have panic attacks including my late wife who took Zanax.

• Like Like x 2
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I find exercise of any sort...for about 30 mins...if You lose yourself into it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I need to try that. But for me it's the ptsd of pilss and etc

14. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Need to try that. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  15. kakhatesmortgages66

kakhatesmortgages66 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2020

Potato based snacks cures many mental ailments....for me. That said, you don't want to eat too much, as they often tend to be high in sodium.

Also I use a Turmeric creamer in my coffee, courtesy of Laird Hamilton, champion surfer.

Sometimes I think I may have PTSD from my many years of working in the mortgage industry. :crycry:

• Like Like x 2
  16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Off topic: Working in the mortgage industry you obviously followed the housing market. Is it just me or have the asking prices for houses gone over the deep end??????? I know young people starting life in houses that are about 1000 square feet, one bathroom and 2 bedrooms and they are 300,000+ in debt for the little piece of crap. I have young family members paying 2000+ a month mortgage. Then, of course, everyone expects when it's time to sell or upgrade they'll want more then they paid.

I understand it is different in different areas of the country. Recently I was in Key West and they wanted 1.5 million for a 750 square foot shack. I was told they will get it easy because it's an investment that they will rent for 3500.00 a month.

Sorry for the rant but I'm convinced something has to give and I don't think it will be pretty.

OP< sorry for stealing your thread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. kakhatesmortgages66

kakhatesmortgages66 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2020
    I dont follow any of it anymore. Ive left that world behind. Lets change the subject. My name is Kakhatesmorgages, not Kaksometimesfollowsthehousingmarkets. Hahah!

Thanks.

18. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I never knew what being scared of heights or tight spaces or panic attacks were until a couple of years after taking chantix to try to quit the cigs. I think I went through 2 full courses of it and was done smoking for the most part but a family tragedy found me at 7-11 ordering up some more and caught the bug all over again. I was mid 30’s.

literally 2 years later I had my first panic attack and that **** is no joke. It’s the feeling of impending doom and it’s scary as all get out. I’ve had a couple since and am turning 46. My first run in with heights happened on the lookouts on mt Washington. Never happened before. First mri after them pills and I lost my mind going into the tube. A few other weird things hard to explain as they are also became noticeable one after the other.

that pill is pretty much a psych med and those types of pharmaceuticals can mess one up.

all I can say is I’ve returned to my Washington and forced myself out on the platform and it felt like redemption but still have my moments. The close quarters stuff has maybe gotten a little better but not by much. No recent anxiety or panic attacks thank goodness as I’m on my own til my house sells and I can get to PA with the family.

I feel for ya… talking helps and hitting things head on helps but I’d stay away from meds personally I was fine until I wanted some assistance instead of quitting cold turkey. Always something attached to what we ingest and it sucks finding out the hard way.

best wishes

• Like Like x 1
  19. hollymolly

hollymolly Member

Oct 15, 2022
    Didn't know about the ginger candy. Thanks for sharing your list
    I had my first panic attack just after i was diagnosed with the diabetes (type 2).
    At that time i didn't know much about it and the whole thing was absolutely scary for me.
    It took me sometime to realize, that it is not as bad as it sounds and with the ozempic coupon i can buy precious meds which will help me to control my blood sugar.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  20. waywardson

waywardson Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    I was jus gunna say, this forum or watchin the games this year aint helpin anxiety, hell i dont have those aflictions but this year us drivin me nuts! I jus drink more beer!