1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Admit it People

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by S.T.D, Aug 13, 2021.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That was his best play of the night though. LoL. Blast was right about that.

• Like Like x 2
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I see their is a Bromance brewing on this thread, so cute...

• Like Like x 2
  3. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    He started it! He's been after me for a long time. Persistent is that one. He just wore me down.

You should see the card he sent me. Can't show you publicly. NSFW

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Why?!

Sean Davis was already on the roster as you stated. Tomlin believed that Davis would take that next step at that point in time. Neither Bates III or Reid would have fit with what Butler wanted his safeties to do at the time.

Both Bates III and Reid are pure Free Safeties. Very seldom has Pittsburgh ever employed such players on the Defensive side of the ball; doubly so in the secondary. Not saying Edmunds was better than either but Edmunds did possess superior versatility coming out.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    So did Artie Burns. Just ask Tomlin.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not the point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    This is just such a laughable post I don't even know where to begin. To think they wouldn't draft a FS in the first because they had Sean Davis on the roster??:lolol::lolol::lolol:

FACT: Justin Reid came into town for a visit and they went to Jessie Bates' pro day and even took him to dinner. They showed great interest in both. They took Edmunds so they had him valued higher for some reason, but to say those other two guys were off the table is a farce.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

In fact they did have Jessie Bates for his Pro Day Dinner. However, that is irrelevant given the teams draft history since Maurkice Pouncey. I have already been in depth with how the Steelers elect to select their first round pick now three years running.

For that matter, the Steelers did not skip over Bates because of "some reason". They skipped over him because the interest for him was not as high despite the Pro Day Dinner. For reference, Kevin Colbert, Mike Tomlin, Jerry Olvasky and Keith Butler all were present for Terrells Pro Day. Compare that to Bates III who only had Colbert and Tomlin show up. Two important people for sure but Butler and a positional coach are missing; hence why Edmunds was selected over Bates.

If anything else; Bates III has been a pure Free Safety with some flexibility since his arrival in Cincinnati. The key to this "some" however is that Bates only became more flexible after his second season. Terrell has been playing musical chairs position wise since being in Pittsburgh... as a rookie. It was not until Minkah Fitzpatrick arrived; now more so playing as the box safety/DIME/EDGE role. For that matter, going back to his 2020 Positional Charting, he played Free Safety, Strong Safety, DIME, Slot Corner (albeit very little thanks to Mike Hilton) and EDGE; a far greater level of responsibility than Bates could ever manage to perform as that was, is and will never be his biggest strength. Not saying Edmunds has performed better than Bates but versatility is what the team was looking for.

To make a long story short, it takes more than a mere Pro Day Dinner for the Steelers to have interest. For that matter, it takes more than Colbert/Tomlin to make a player a First Round Pick. Just about every coach has to be there regarding that particular position; Devin Bush Jr. being the most notable example by far and away. On the note of Devin Bush Jr., Bush is the only Defensive Steeler selected in the First Round since Kevin Colbert arrived that primarily performs one major role within their position. No other Defensive Player in the First Round has had that level of simplicity in terms of the transition from their college to the Steelers Defense.

I am not the one who decides gets drafted. The Steelers, their interest no less, does. Realistically speaking, I wanted Justin Reid as he also had that level of versatility that Tomlin consistency preaches about but realized it was not going to happen after just about no one appeared at Stanfords Pro Day back in 2018.

• Like Like x 1
  9. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I wasnt looking at averages. Generally speaking you expect a guy you draft in round 1 to be an high level nfl player. Of course everyone won't and that's why guys who don't meet those expectations get certain negative labels.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    According to my adjusted and rough math, the odds of a #1 pick being a Pro Bowler are still 1-in-3 at best. That doesn’t sound like it’s a reasonable expectation.

• Like Like x 1
  11. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I'll agree, a first round pick he was not. I got the feeling that was a Tomlin pick for the family as opposed to the right choice for us when it happened. It's almost like well, his brother is gone, so let's get the other one, which would be unacceptable in the first round if true. I normally like and agree with our draft choices, that's one I didn't. But he's gotten better, how cannot you not after all this time(?), and I think he could have a good year. Let's just wait and see how he does this year, before we toss out a considerable investment.

The botched eagles play was on Tre Norwood, aka, swiss utility back...

aka, SLOW AS %$^& !

• Like Like x 1
  12. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Always has been the weakest link in the secondary. Not exactly another Tomlin bust, but not far behind Hood, Jones and Burns in my opinion. No where near what he was hyped when he was taken in the 1st rd. A very average safety at best.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Even I'd they don't make a pro bowl they could simply be above average. Ike Taylor never made a pro bowl and he was a very good nfl player. Far above average.

• Winner Winner x 1