1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Add the Cardinals to the list of teams looking for a qb

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by strummerfan, Jan 2, 2018.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    palmer to retire.

One less qb for us to choose from.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We will have to be aggressive if we like a certain QB, like you said there are a lot of teams

looking for the next Carson Wentz.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think the Steelers can sit at the bottom of Round 1 and get their guy.

Do they move up to get their guy?

Or stand pat and go S or if ILB?

4. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Too many holes to fill to trade away picks. I still think Cousins is a better option than drafting a qb. That is assuming Ben retires.

They could roll with Landry Jones for a year. Use the 2018 draft to shore up the defense. Assuming Landry struggles we would be picking closer to the top and would have a better shot at a 1st round qb in 2019. Or he might prove all the naysayers wrong and play well. That would be the best possible scenario. Not having to sign a free agent qb or use a first round pick on a qb would be freaking awesome.

5. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Kirk Cousins will be looking for a 5 yr 100M deal. He's not in our price range. Or atleast shouldn't be.

6. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

20 million is low for a franchise qb and we can afford it easily. we can free up just under 50 million in cap space with a couple no brainer moves and using the post June 1st designation.

7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I think Cousins has made a lot of money the last couple years thanks to the franchise tag so if Ben were to retire and the Steelers showed interest do you think playing with AB-Juju-MB-Bell(?) and a very good chance at a ring would put him in our price range? I feel offering 20-25 mil is pretty good from a team that you know you could win on vs getting 30 mil and playing for losers, no?

8. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    If you didn't have the the Cards on your list of teams that needed a qb, after Palmer missed most of the last two seasons with injuries and is older than Ben, you had a very short list.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i originally had mentioned cousins as a guy we should go after but is he the best we can go after? keenum may be in that same range too. cousins was 34-33-1 as a starter. it's a little muddled with dobbs and LJ being here though. would we draft a guy and let these 3 fight for a spot? who is going to teach the young kid? they are all pretty much in the same boat then as non veteran starters. LJ has a few but those are few and far between. we would almost have to get a more veteran guy in here if ben goes. that would be an awful young room for us.

i was hoping rypien might come out this year too. he may be a guy next year at the top of the qb draft heap. :cool:

10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Man IDK I just can't get aboard the Keenum train. I just don't see him as a QB that can put the team on his back. Yeah he is having a nice year but I feel he is not being asked to do much. I don't have facts on this just my feeling. When I look at Cousins I feel this is a guy who can go out and win you a game, not manage it. If we need a QB next year I would like a guy that can be more of an offensive threat with all these weapons here. jmo

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    1/4 Cleveland
    2 NY Giants
    5 Denver
    6 NY Jets
    11 Miami- Maybe
    12 Cincinatti- Maybe
    13 Washington
    15 Arizona
    16 Baltimore- Maybe
    17 LA Chargers- Maybe
    22/26 Buffalo
    25 Jacksonville- Maybe
    28 New Orleans- Maybe
    29 Steelers- Maybe
    32 Cheatriots- Maybe

Maybe's mean they have an established starter who will/should be replaced in the next year or three, with no established back up in sight. Buffalo is a serious question mark, because Tyrod seems to be liked by everyone but the coaching staff.

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I work with a Giants fan who follows all news on them as closely as we follow Steelers news. He feels that the Giants will not take a QB in the 1st round because: a) new GM Dave Gettleman really likes Eli, b) Gettleman is a big believer in controlling the line of scrimmage and running the ball, and c) reports from practice all season suggest that Webb has impressed the team quite a bit. The thinking is that they go with a top left tackle if they really like one, or possibly get Barkley if they rate him as highly as some draft pundits have ranked him. They’re a team that has the potential to make a quick turnaround if they make the right coaching and roster moves. My personal guess is that they try to trade down a few spots and get a LT.

13. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Giants would be wise to take Barkley. He's my #1 prospect in this draft.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Depends if Darnold and/or Rosen both elect to declare. Essentially, it boils down to this;

1.) If both declare, our chances are still good.

2.) If either opts to return to their college, our chances are slim

3.) If both opt to return to their college, no chance; Mason Ruldolph included.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

They should but that depends if Eli elects to stay. Does he want to?

16. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Team record is a poor metric for evaluating qb'. There are just too many other factors involved. How is the offensive line? Running backs? Wide receivers? Cousins has improved every year and has done well with very little around him. Especially this year. The redskins basically have cousins and nothing else. It's like looking st the Giants and claiming Eli manning is done. He's had nothing to work with this year and it shows.

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Both Rosen and Darnold have declared for the draft...

• Like Like x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

!!!

Links please?! Thank you in advance. :smiley1:

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Thank you Steeler rock 151. I posted a while back in Bill Nunn draft room of what teams may be looking for QB's high in the draft.

and what it may take for Steelers to get the type of QB they desire. Steelers will have to be aggressive in this draft. Don't forget

A FS and MLB should be high on there draft concerns also.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm not downing him for it, just stating the fact. they have some players in washington, the cupboard isn't bare there. from the eyeball test in what i've seen of cousins, he can look good and then make some head scratcher throws as well. also 13 picks and 13 fumbles. just saying there are options other than him. i like cousins actually. if we go after a FA we won't need a draft pick. if we don't, i'm saying someone has to go between LJ and dobbs for us to have some kind of vet leadership even if he's not a starter. that was more of the point i was trying to make. :cool:

22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Assuming Ben retires I would prefer an established fa over a draft pick. However, there’s a part of me that would like to see what Jones has. He’s put together some solid games for us and it could be interesting if he had a full training camp with the #1’s.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    if ben goes and there is a shakeup for OC and randy fitchner gets the job (i hope he does) he's been LJ's coach throughout and nobody probably knows him better, i could see something like LJ, dobbs and maybe a vet like a fitzpatrick coming in to solidify the room. i do have a feeling they want to see what they have in the investment of the two draft picks they have made. i think fitz made about 3 mil last year which wouldn't break the bank. :cool:

24. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Just wanted to update this, if any of you still think we may take a qb:
    1/4- Cleveland
    2- Giants- nope, Eli is coming back, they have way too many needs. Will trade this to the Jets, most likely
    5- Denver- will sign an established free agent.
    6- Jets- Yep
    11- Miami- Still maybe
    12- Cinci- Still maube
    13- Washington- nope
    15- Arizona- Will sign an established free agent
    16- B'more- still maybe
    17- Chargers- Nope. Have too many other needs, and are oh, so close.
    21/22- Buffalo- yep
    27- New Orleans- Maybe
    28- Pittsburgh- still believing maybe
    29- Jacksonville- Maybe
    31- Cheatriots- maybe

While everyone sees five qbs going in the first, you have Cousins, Foals (Philly will trade him, maybe to Cleveland for 2 seconds or Arizona for their first). Two of three from Minnasota. Probably Tyrod Taylor.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers aren't drafting a QB in the first round, they're trying to win now. Not worried about some QB who won't play for 2-3 years.

• Agree Agree x 1