1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Achilles heel

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Jan 8, 2017.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm with this theory. This is why we haven't run the no huddle much. Young guys still aren't on the same page. Having DHB back will help. (I hear the sound of air filling someone's head).

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    On the INT that went through AB's hands, Eli appeared to be open and isolated on a linebacker. Ben looked straight at him and I thought he was going to throw him the ball. At some point in these playoffs, Ben will need to give these young guys an opportunity because the D will be all over AB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    They didn't thrive that day

• Like Like x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    12-12 when he threw the interception.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Don't know what difference that makes, how do you know Eli catches it? How many of those does AB muff?

He could have very well sailed it heigh to Eli as well.

Fact is, AB should have caught that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hard to catch balls high in traffic with that angle..AB had no ideal where the Defender was AB had already set down and did a quick reach to secure the catch as quick as possible ...Had he gave it his all and exposed those ribs he very well could have been knocked out of the game and multiple games .....I don't want AB risking that because Ben makes a bad throw in a very bad spot...

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I disagree with all this. Shocking.

8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As you would...I remember a time not to long ago when Ben didn't place the ball in the right spot to protect his Star and that star got lit up ...I am sure Brown remembers that as well ....No need to let 1 play take AB out ...I am sure Bell had a TD as well when the guy barely had his ankle all he had to do is spin he probably gets out and can score...Or he could twist his knee or ankle and be out of the playoffs....Players must make smart choices when to protect themselves...AB made a smart choice he was looking for the hitter as he expected the ball to be completely on his other side...

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    AB missed the catch is all he did, all that stuff you said is meaningless. He could have got hit for doing what he did, it simply went through his hands.

And its the playoffs pwp, you put it all on the line.

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not all on the line when winning the place the ball was thrown had everything to do with it...He was leading AB into the help where he could be lit up...We didn't need that catch to win the game...You would have AB end his season to catch a poor ball that we didn't really need caught ?

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Want that poorly thrown and AB wasn't stretched out to catch it.

Disagree with you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    We'll never know. Ben is notorious at times for slinging it upfield when he has a good matchup with his checkdown. I like Eli iso'd on a backer. How 'bout you?

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought the throw to Eli was the one to make, I said as much in the game day thread but I can't pin the Int on Ben when AB didn't catch a very catchable ball. No QB puts the ball on the numbers every throw, its the receivers job to go get it when its not on the money.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I just rewatched that play.
    That throw was not that bad at all. AB should have caught that and he said as much after the game.
    Ben made a couple terrible throws, but that wasn't one of them.
    You're fighting a losing battle with these two.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I agree AB would catch that ball 9 times out of 10. The temp may have had something to do with it.

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    DHB would have caught it with one hand and blocked for himself all the way to the end zone with the other.

Joking aside, it wasn't that bad of a throw at all. I think Rogers was the best play, but there was room for Ben to slip it into AB, and he got it onto both of AB's hands.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Was getting ready to agree with you until your last snarky comment. I think Ben should have thrown it to Eli. And I think AB should have caught the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    1. It was a win
    2. AB's stats for the game were pretty darn good.
    3. All players make mistakes, see #1
    4. Stats don't matter, see #1

• Like Like x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Is it true?

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Not to mention AB dropped another pass that was easier in the game.

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Speaking of an Achilles heel, the game time temp is supposed to be in the low 30's with some freezing rain. Steelers Depot did a nice article on the history of both Ben and Alex Smith (with his small hands) in cold weather games. The stats really favor Ben, who is 14-2 in his last 16 games with a game time temp under 38 degrees.

Take more Inthink about this game, the more I like our chances to not only win, but win convincingly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  22. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Is what true?

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think 3-4 of Ben's interceptions the last few weeks of the season were pretty clearly choice routes with young players that read the coverage differently than Ben. One in buffalo was a misread on this route run by Green. Hopefully they've cleaned this up for the divisional round.

Last week AB should have caught the first INT and Demarcus Ayers ran the wrong route on the second. Both he and Ben said it would have been a quick easy throw for a first had he run the right route.

I'm more worried about a punt return for a TD by Hill than Ben's play this week. Kick coverage is this the potential Achilles heel right now. It's the only phase that's not playing "above the line" recently.

25. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    He does throw some ridiculous interceptions. Although I think Bell has dominated the ball more this season than any. I think he can lose his rhythm. Other teams have a great pass rush so he has to get rid of it early. In my opinion I think he just tries to risky of throws. Trying to put the ball into double or triple coverage.
    Sometimes a guy just jumps the route and Ben just doesn't see him.

I definitely agree he needs to clean it up especially going into KC. We'll see how he is with his foot Sunday. I hope he comes out hot and stays hot, with Bell torching them on the ground. Our defense keeping them shutdown.