1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

AB's six year run.(2013-2018)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jball, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    From what I can tell, he had the best six consecutive season run of all time.

I know he went nuts but it speaks to his consistency and availability.

I put up some other notable six year runs. Some guys had really good four or five years but this is six.

He was top 3 in all three catagories across the six years.

AB - 6 years - 686 rec/ 9145 yds/ 67 TD's
    Marvin Harrison - 649 rec/ 8707 yds/ 77 TD's
    D. Adams - 635 rec/ 7970 yds/ 69 TD's
    Megatron - 538 rec/ 8548 yds/ 62 TD's
    L. Fitzgerald - 532 rec/ 7426 yds/ 55 TD's
    J. Jones - 643 rec/ 9388 yds/ 37 TD's
    R. Moss - 525 rec/ 8375 yds/ 77 TD's
    J. Rice - 596 rec/ 8759 yds/ 80 TD's
    M. Irvin - 513 rec/ 8055 yds/ 40 TD's
    T. Brown - 543 rec/ 7519 yds/ 48 TD's
    A. Johnson - 556 rec/ 7857 yds/ 36 TD's
    T. Holt - 567 rec/ 8699 yds/ 48 TD's
    T. Hill - 581 rec/ 8363 yds/ 63 TD's
    R. Wayne - 558 rec/ 7544 yds/ 45 TD's
    T. Kelce - 590 rec/ 7482 yds/ 55 TD's
    D. Hopkins - 619 rec/ 7977/ 52 TD's
    W. Welker - 672 rec/ 7459 yds/ 37 TD's

2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Starting in 1986 his 2nd year in the league Jerry Rice scored 90 TDs receiving in 6 years. That is just crazy considering the rules back in the 80s.

Unfortunately I don't ever see a Gold Jacket in ABs future, he will be soon forgotten by most people in the world, only to die penniless and broke in his 50s

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Teams quit on in mid season playoff races; 2
    That’s probably an NFzl record too,

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Some of these Guys did it with Multiple Qbs....which is what's impressive to me

5. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    It's insane.

I used his stats from 90-95. Better all around numbers.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    He was awesome before he went crazy, but instead I feel like saying..........WHO?

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Brown was insanely good. Sometimes it seemed as if no one could cover him. He had excellent speed and great hands. He could run precise routes, but he was amazing at improvising when things broke down. It was as if he and Roethlisberger had a telepathic link sometimes. He was explosive, dangerous after the catch, and fearless. Though he wasn't tall, he could make combat catches. He made the routine and spectacular catches consistently.

He still wasn't on Rice's level, and not just because of longevity. Rice was easily the best receiver in NFL history.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Burfict broke AB.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    That TD against the Ravens in Christmas 2016 was incredible, when he out-muscled 3 defenders on the last play of the game.
    "The amazing thing about the image above is that C.J. Mosley is listed at 241 pounds, a full 60 pounds heavier than Brown, who's listed at 181."
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...rown-scores-nearly-impossible-td-to-win-game/

• Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The strength and determination Brown demonstrated in that play still blows me away. I had forgotten that one of the defenders grabbed his facemask and yanked it on the play and got away with it.

11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    All I can say is WOW! It's just a crying shame the black marks (real and perceived) against some of the Steelers best players is what lingers in the minds of many - AB, Bell, Harrison........not to mention all the sad CTE tragedies affecting ex-Steelers years after they retired. At least we don't have to concern ourselves with Watson. :rolleyes:

12. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Agreed. He started to unravel after he was knocked out by Burfict. I honestly don’t judge AB, I think he has had a serious brain injury.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    He was an amazing player, many times after making some crazy wild catches and especially when a play broke down, all you could say was "wow".

• Like Like x 1
  14. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    He was truly special and one of the Steelers I most enjoyed watching because he was truly the only WR we've had in my lifetime that was in the elite tier of the position. I would say he was only second to Megatron in terms of best WR's, as I can't think of anyone else that deserves to be higher on a list than him. That Ben, AB, Bell, Bryant offense was truly special.

15. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Always find it hilarious when people say Julio Jones was #1. Yet the dude had majority of his career not in the top ten for touchdowns.

16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yep - numbers aside, he was a once in a generation talent.

it always brings me back to frustration - we had he, Ben and Lev in their PRIMES - and could not SNIFF a SB with them

it is a travesty for us fans.

AB was just AMAZING for that stretch!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I've watched the careers of every one of those WR's. AB didn't have the size, speed, and quickness as many on that list. He did have the best hands and ball awareness of any WR I've ever seen. Ab did have the advantage of playing in this era. Earlier WR's had to worry about Safeties and LB's blowing them up. The QB's back then could be destroyed on any pass - weather the ball was in there hands or not. I don't know that AB would have survived in Rice's era for long. But absolutely in his prime AB was among the top 3 or 4 WR's I've ever seen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Antonio Brown is one of the craziest talents I have ever seen play, especially for a 5'10" person. I know he's 5'10" because I took a leak next to him in a bathroom at Penguins Stanley Cup Finals game in 2016, and I am 5'10" so we were eye for eye at the stall. LOL.

One of the best route runners and foot work artists I have seen. His toe tapping unreal, hands were unreal.

I will never understand. His crazy work ethic was all there, but off the field stuff, and how he would act I will just never understand.

A lot of people think Burfict hit sent him off into CTE land, but I don't think. I think he suffers from Bi-Polar disorder. Only reason to explain how he's loving everyone one minute and the next he is hating hugely on a person(s).

AB lacked a father figure in his life growing up. His Dad is Eddie Brown, maybe the best indoor league football player who ever lived. Eddie wasn't around to raise AB. He entered back into his life once AB become a bit more famous and made it to the NFL, they reconciled. But, not having a role model when your young, doesn't help. Sometimes I wonder if this had a lot to do with it.

AB was an awesome youth and high school football player in Florida. He should of been at Florida, FSU, Miami, any of those schools, but behavior and off field issues were present and they all passed. There is a big reason he was at Central Michigan and not down in Florida (or another SEC super power), because they were the only ones to give him a chance and he had to earn it, and he behaved OK up there, and then made it to the league (shouldn't of been a 6th round pick, he had 1st round talents)

But the off the field crap has always been there with him even if he's probably the best WR outside of Jerry Rice I have seen play. He could of done close to Rice numbers had he had the level head, I think he could still play without a doubt. But sadly, just couldn't ever get over the antics of AB. Just takes away from the talent, and people will always talk about the Antics over the Talent.

Terrell Owens is also an example of that, but AB's antics are probably even worse than Terrell's ever thought of being.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That is what bothers me most about the whole situation. I was like 99% sure we were getting #7.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We had a couple of chances if the team could have stayed healthy. That's the NFL. Lots of times look at the end of the season in the SB... not always, but a lot of times it's the healthiest teams left. Some people (not saying You, or pointing out anyone specifically) will say ....Wow we had Ben AB, and Bell, and didn't win a SB, but then forget how many times in that span that We didn't actually have all 3 during a playoff run. Can't have it both ways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yep - i know the dead horse bat is out again, but that is The Legacy, if you will.....

• Like Like x 1
  22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hard worker, could get seperation, good hands, too bad he went goofy.

23. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Side note: Rice played with back to back HOF QB's.

24. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    AB is back in the league?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Brown was tougher than this post gives him credit for being. He was blown up more than once just by the Bengals alone. I think he was quicker and faster than you suggested, too. That quickness was a big part of what made him damn-near impossible to cover.

• Agree Agree x 2