1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

AB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It isn't really clear at all. What we've seen is a deterioration of his conduct on and off the field. That is something that tends to happen when you let someone with issues do whatever the hell they want.

2. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The spiral started way before then. December 2018 would be a lot closer.

Your stance was that the Steelers should've called his bluff and made him play or sit. Given what has transpired, that clearly would've been the wrong move. That's not even debatable anymore. Yet here you are still defending that stance by saying that it was the lack of structure that caused the spiral that made it the wrong move, even though the spiral started well before the lack of structure. I give you credit though fighting to the very last breath the way that you do. Out of everyone on this board, you'd be the guy I'd go to war with before anyone else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
  4. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well it's clear to me after reading AB's history. Brown's always been a head case. Here take a look.
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...brown-ever-return-pros-complicated-nfl-legacy

Brown became the person that he is long before he reached the Steelers. How about his parents? Previous college coaches? Family? Anyone else besides the Steelers?

The Steelers were not going to completely change his behavior. They found ways to coexist with him. Brown needed to want to change himself. How about you blame Brown the grown man and not the Steelers? This type behavior goes way before and beyond the Steelers. How can that not be clear to you?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I see your point, but as someone who dealt with athletes all my life, I found that this is only true if they are not held accountable at an early age. Elementary school and middle school students will pull it together to keep that structure. If you let them get to high school, or college, or the pros, before you hold them accountable, then what you've taught them is that there are no consequences for their actions.

Case in point- the first school I worked at had very strict academic standards for athletes. Fail two classes at the five weeks, sit. End of discussion. The moderately successful athletes busted their humps, because they knew that they would sit. And as their coach, I made it clear that that was the case. Star linebacker/point guard/catcher from the varsity- failed every class he took. Why? Because he knew he would never sit. When we approached the athletic director about the situation, he told us that without sports, the kid would drop out. Day after baseball season ends, he drops out, and is in jail within a month. Why? Because he was NEVER held accountable, because he was that good an ahtlete. If they had sat him in 7th grade, he would have learned. But they didn't, and what he learned was that he was above the rules.

If caught early, they are more likely to work hard and get back on track. But if you let them slide early, they are more likely to quit on school or fall apart entirely. Observations of a 25 year coach.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I hope he gets help, he seems to be going down a real dark path.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Makes me wonder how in the world he lasted so long on this team. Someone posted he lacks support and structure when that is probably what did him in at NE. Its the lack of structure that may have kept AB here for so long as how he acted coming into training camp and having his own set of rules and privileges of where he stayed, and other abnormalities. When he was confined by other teams rules and structure, he couldn't make it work. At least that is how it appears to me. Actually, I couldn't care less at this point and just glad he is long gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Tomlin and the Steelers were able to manage him.

It appears what did him with NE was when he sent threatening messages to one of his accusers. It was only a matter of time anyway. If it wasn't the messages it would had been some thing else with Brown.

10. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    At some point a grown man needs to be held responsible for his own actions. Blaming everyone else just doesn't cut it.

11. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I wish there was a complete record of all his strange behavior with each incident dated and see if it really got out of hand after the burfict hit. I always thought maybe Burfict broke his brain.

12. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    This dude is headed in the wrong direction in the fast lane. If he don't get help soon, very soon ...the Grim Reaper may have another one ...say no to drugs

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    When was he ever on drugs?

14. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    how is this thread even around here?
    prolly shouldnt be in nfl talk either ;)

15. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Well the plot thickens. He appears to have either deleted or suspended both IG and Twitter accounts. Is this the bottom or just a deeper plunge? For his healths sake, hopefully it’s the former. Stay tuned.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Unfortunately, the bottom is probably 6 feet farther down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    He doesn't deserve help. He's the definition of a human piece of garbage.
    He needs prison

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I am not defending that stance. That is just part of what you aren’t getting. I said that would have been the wrong decision once the allegations of sexual misconduct became public. I am pointing out that nobody knew about that at the time he was traded.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm still waiting for the national media to apologize to Ben, taking AB side and bashing Ben all summer :facepalm:. They were praising AB for getting out of Pittsburgh and getting a new contract, at least Stephen A. Smith did apologize to Ben on First Take.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Now I have an excuse ;)

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Do you seriously want to compare what he did as a Patriot to what he did as a Steeler? I'm not even talking about his entire career. Just take the last few seasons and let's assume he is guilty of everything of which he has been accused for the sake of argument. Also, let's keep in mind that we didn't know about all of these things at the time he was traded to the Raiders.

As a Steeler, Brown did the following.
    • Went live on social media with Tomlin's post-game locker room speech to his team, which is supposed to be private among the team.
    • Stormed out of a practice, sat out the rest of the team's meetings and workouts and meetings that week and showed up expecting to play the final week of the 2018 season.
    • Made a complete ass of himself on social media while working to force his way out of town that offseason.
    • Refused to report when the team had worked out a trade to the Bills, costing the team significant return on the deal.
    • Got pulled over driving over 100 miles per hour.
    • Threw things out a hotel window, nearly injuring people below.
    • Sexually harassed an artist who was working for him in his home, including exposing himself to her.
    • Sexually assaulted, then raped a trainer who worked for him in his home.
    • Uncounted incidents of putting himself above his teammates in the locker room.
    As a Patriot Brown did the following:
    • Sent harassing text messages to one of the women who accused him of sexual misconduct.
    Do you really think that one item was why the Patriots got rid of him? Either they were telling the truth and they didn't know about the accusations of sexual misconduct when they signed him or they hoped they wouldn't become public long enough for them to get one season out of Brown. Either way, I am certain they were looking for a way out of his contract. The problem for them was he hadn't done anything since joining the Patriots. They knew about the other stuff with the Steelers and the preseason idiocy with the Raiders, so none of that gave them grounds to get out of his contract. Then Brown was stupid enough to send those text messages and give the Patriots an out.

To me, the accusations by those two women were the point of no return. They are the reason he wasn't out there having a great year for the Patriots this season. It is important to remember that both happened while he was a Steeler and that all the folks here patting themselves on the back for being right after the fact had no idea any of that had happened. None of us did.

Please look at the list above and seriously consider if the Steelers "managed him well."

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    An arrest warrant has been issued for AB

23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    It appears then that his fuse has burned quite a bit and may not have much left. I only hope he doesn't hurt anyone when the fuse is gone.

24. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    The proof is in the pudding. Out side of the people that were involved with Brown no one knew he was a quack job at this level. Even the two teams that signed him after the Steelers didn't realize how much of a quack job he was.

Would you have given up 2 picks and sign him to an extension if you knew he was a quack job?

So yeah, the Steelers managed to Brown to the level where he became one of the best WR's in the league. They received 8 productive seasons out of Brown. He made the Steelers offense better.

Maybe you don't follow the news or whatever. The reported breaking point for the NE owner were the threatening messages. NE stuck by Chung and his legal issues. They were ready to stick by Brown until he threatened the lady during a pending law suit. Talk about stupid. You want to blame the Steelers for Browns lack of common sense too? Come on man.

Ultimately you can't blame the Steelers for Brown's actions. Keep on spinning that wheel.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Appears it only goes down hill from here for him. The one place where he was able to focus his negative and positive energy was the game. He doesn't have that anymore. It's safe to say he will never play in the league again. His children are the main concern. Is he a good father or is his fuse short with them too?