1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

AB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Looks like the interest in AB has spiked since the team wants a trade by Friday:

As of last Friday, the three teams that have shown the most interest in the wide receiver were the Oakland Raiders, Washington Redskins and Tennessee Titans. In addition, a couple more teams have jumped into the fray in the past 24 to 48 hours, sources said, putting the total number of teams to which the Steelers have spoken in the past few days at six or seven.

The Steelers' asking price started as a first-round pick and other compensation but has been reduced to a first-round pick, sources have told ESPN.

2. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Figured he was going to the raiders all along since there prob the only team that can give up a first since they have 3 of them.. You'd think the raiders learned there lesson to stay away from troubled Steelers receivers after Bryant but I guess not

3. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    That would have to be inviting him to his house every Friday for movie night!

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That's the key point way too many people are missing. This isn't about some manufactured issue with Roethlisberger. Sure, it's a somewhat convincing story because Roethlisberger is kind of a jackass, but that isn't Brown's problem.

Brown's problem is he signed into a contract and he doesn't want to honor it. He wants more guaranteed money. He knows from past history and his own experience that the Steelers aren't going to give it to him, so he's trying to force his way out of town by behaving like a jackass.

It's what Blount did. Bell also forced his way out of town. It's one of the reasons I still think it is a mistake to trade Brown. They keep letting players who are under contract force their way out of town. It undermines the team.

5. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think that is possible but I'll tell you why I don't believe it. AB is a "me first" personality and it was made into a problem early on by Tomlin's lack of discipline. For all his diva actions AB also knows that the teams willing to spend on him normally don't have the best guy throwing the ball. I think all he has to do is see what became of Santonio Holmes when Mark Sanchez was the guy throwing the ball, from MVP to schmuck in 3 seasons.

I think AB's actions are due not only to Ben being an A-hole but Smith Shuster having a better season and being voted the team MVP. His season was in large part because of all the attention AB gets from defenses but AB is narcissistic and has to be number 1 all the time, the number 2 receiver getting ahead was a bitter pill for him to swallow.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    To me, the No. 1 receiver is the guy who receives more targets. That was still Brown. I'm sure Brown doesn't like how Roethlisberger treated him at times. I'm sure he doesn't like seeing more balls go Smith-Schuster's way. But I am equally sure that the real issue is that he's not getting the guaranteed money he wants.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Tom just that type of guy. Hed make a concerted effort for that to happen. He was doing everything in his power to help josh gordon. Let's just put it this way ben isnt kissing anyones ass. Tom cares so much about the game hed do whatever it takes. It's why they've cheated in the past the game just means that much more to him.

8. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Maybe but I doubt it. He could have easily not signed that horrible deal two years he did sign and holdout like bell did if that's what he thought. It's been a known thing for years that the steelers just dont pay high gurantees. If AB was on the open market he would have gotten far more guranteed money. What he got guranteed is chump change compared to Odell.

9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018

I think teams basically told the steelers if he isnt that big of a problem that you have a kings ransom to get him than keep him and see where yall end up. Knew teams werent knocking the door down for him when the reported asking price was a first.

10. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    You may be on to something, but keeping Brown around would be another circus and distraction the team doesn't need. AB has a ton of talent, but I'm not sure how much is him, and how much is having a HoF'er throwing to him. Look at the last 10 or so years and the WRs that have walked away, who has really achieved anything? Sanders? He did ok but had Manning throwing to him, another HoF'er. Burress? Wallace? Holmes?

11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Plaxico did good with the giants. What derailed his career was him shooting himself. Sanders was a pro bowler in denver and put up better numbers there. Holmes and Wallace I never personally considered elite or any where near the level of AB. I wouldnt even call either one of them Juju tbh.

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This may be the dumbest thing you’ve ever said and you’ve said some really dumb stuff.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Cmon football gods, a 1st for AB and this offseason will be redeemed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Burress made plays for the Giants, too. Sanders got better after he left. Wallace was never really that great as a Steeler or anywhere else. Holmes is the only one who really declined significantly.

Brown is far better than any of those guys. He is very likely on his way to the Hall of Fame.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I do love that marble mouth Shannon Sharpe. Probably the best line to most accurately describe the AB situation

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    My prediction is that we end up keeping him. I’m reading that the Raiders are balking.

17. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Ok, it's possible AB is gone by this time tomorrow.... anyone want to make predictions on team and comp? The biggest problem is that AB opens his mouth and blows up any chance for a trade. Dude's in year 3 of a 5 year deal.... don't be talking NEW DEAL already, sheesh.

I'm going:
    Oakland
    2nd round in 2019 and 4th-6th round in 2020 conditional on AB showing up and playing in 2020 if he doesn't show up or get 100 receptions, no pick.

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    That's why hes never ever contemplated retirement and keeps saying he will play till hes 45 or whateve. Tom has that Michael jordan Esque dedication to being great.

19. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    All straight facts. Idk why people mentioned Holmes and Wallace. Nether are in AB's stratosphere.

20. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Holmes was clutch as hell when it mattered though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats how you negotiate. Set the price high and come down. Original price was a first round +
    Now it's just a first and Peter King thinks Raiders will give it. They have 3, giving up one of those for AB is well worth the gamble.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Read what you wrote that I quoted again then get back at me.

23. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes, it makes perfectly good sense now. Gruden and AB. The raiders will give up a 1st rd for him. Wow, the lord truly does look out for fools and babies

24. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Colin Cowturd post a video saying that his sources say it's down to Tennessee or Washington.

I prefer these two to Oakland and Washington to Tennessee. Can you imagine going from Ben Roethlisberger throwing you the ball to Colt McCoy? :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    He's gonna be one of those people who won't know what to do with himself when he has to leave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.