1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

AB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Bens part of the problem but obviously can't get rid of him. Tomlin and Rooney should have a talk with him and persuade him to loose the radio show. That will go a long way to smooth the rest of things over.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I would not just GIVE him away....I think his "tweet" was to distract from his other story in the news today. AB loves when people talk about him. Thats what he wants more than anything else.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Can some one point me in the direction of where this idea that Brown is being made the scapegoat for all the teams problems started or if it has been made. Is it just Brown trying to change the narrative ? I don't think he is responsible for anything other than the problems he created for himself. I don't think I have ever heard or read where anyone blamed him for what's wrong with the team.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. GothamRogue

GothamRogue Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Bells situation is different from Brown because 1) he wasnt under contract 2) one players' behavior does not define another. 3) bell was really never a diva on or off the field, in the locker room or outside the locker room.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    You missed the entire point.

6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Have everyone sign a social media policy. You know like there is in the real world of working. You break the rules, and you suffer the consequences financially. They can threaten grievance over it, but unless it has real merit than they have no teeth.

Apparently 31 other teams have policies set in place to keep their players in line but the Steelers are incapable of doing so.

7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

Nothing happened. Nothing more than any other job among people that work in close quarters together. His EGO has been slighted because he was criticized once or twice. He has a victim complex (who's saying he's the "scapegoat" for anything?) << He completely made that up out of nowhere. If he's talking about Ben's comment about his route GROW UP and pull the big boy pants up and handle it professionally like he's getting paid 17 mil a year.

Any honest dialogue with management openly would end up being a smear campaign hurting Brown's value in a trade. It's probably best they keep their mouth shut until he's out the door.

8. GothamRogue

GothamRogue Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Yeah, you're right. i must have. What was it??

9. ROBLISBERGER

ROBLISBERGER Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011

This :this!:

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Good point! And I think there needs to be a series of "come to Jesus" meetings, starting with Tomlin because it won't matter what Rooney and Tomlin say to Ben (or any other player) if Tomlin continues to have free reign to run the show the way he has been. It has to start with Rooney.

11. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    So if the prices aren't fair you think with the way everything has happened as well as how the bell saga derailed the team last yr the team would bring him back just because they didnt get good enough offers?

12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Doesnt matter. That still will cause a distraction. Even the so called "leader" said the bell saga caused problems. It wont work. It's clear Ben and AB dont get along. Recipe for disaster keeping both here. It's no way going forward we would be able to have a winning environment with AB and Ben going forward.

13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Ab is a complete reciever. Deep or not he can still eat in that offense as he can be moved around and utilized in the slot.

14. GothamRogue

GothamRogue Member

Feb 10, 2019
    To deactivate Brown for the next three years seems like an insanely bad move as some of you seem to suggest. You tie up all that cap space over the next three years...for what? If you dont get a 1st or high 2nd rd pick, or reasonable trade for him then he remains on the team as far as im concerned. If he holds out during camps and refuses to play during regular season then quite possibly theres something in the bargaining agreement that allows the Steelers to void his contract as he will be breaching his contract with a non football injury. Thats what we should be looking into...what makes a contract voidable??

I know some of you are thinking ahead that he could fake an injury. Well thats where the Steelers could place him on IR and force an injury settlement and they can do the "two can play that game" thing. The Steelers can determine that his "condition" is one that wont allow him to return to the field of play. I think this would only make them liable for the time he was active on the roster and relieve them of any obligations from that time forward. Dont quote me on any of that. Im sure its way more complicated than that.

Of course the above suggestion actually nullifies my original point which was not to allow him to walk away without getting reasonable compensation in return, but as long as the team doesnt suffer cap wise it shouldnt matter to any of us at this point. Shows just how complex this situation is.

15. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    While the numbers are what they are.... posts like this ignore the fact that we are carrying forward 14.5m from Bell not playing in 2018..... so the net effect of sending both players packing would only be about a $7m cap hit.

My take is that he's an attention hog and locker room virus, that needs to be traded..... but not given away. While I'd love to say we'll get a 1st round pick for him..... reality is that his drama is dropping the asking price fast..... they might settle for a late 2nd rounder.

16. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    The Steelers should take a note from the Cheats they way they benched that Butler kid in the SB. Yeah they lost that one, but they won they next one. I'm not sure he would've helped them against Foles anyways. Send AB to Arizona or TB, those teams are clowns and we can fleece them.

17. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Could the steelers and Antonio clown rerestructure his contract so it dont have the cap hit, like adjust his bonuses back to base salary?? If ab really wants out he should do this if possible. The new team should be able to restructure if they want afterward too.

18. Danthesteelersman

Danthesteelersman Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Is it crazy to think maybe at this point the right move is to sign Bell and trade AB. Bell would give us another passing weapon and rotate him and #30, use some 2 back sets etc.

19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Are you sure that the 2018 Bell money can carry over to the 2019 cap? I'm not.

20. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Yes

21. Hoot

Hoot Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Bell won't be part of the calculation.

Yes, the team will have a value they won't go below. That is just business.

22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    You're right. Ab wont be a distraction next yr let's keep him.

23. Hoot

Hoot Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Of course he will try to be a distraction in that situation. That isn't the point. Even then the team has discipline options. The point is that any businessman has a minimum price they will sell at. Do I think it will come to that? No. I think he will be moved. BUt the more he acts up the more teams will be unlikely to jump into the pool. Brown may well find himself in Buffalo. Brown's better approach in my opinion is to act lie a professional and maybe some contender is more willing to go get him.

24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    They have discipline options but what good will that do? The bridge has already been burned. He has completely disregarded the owner and coach. If the team wants to win they know they cant bring him back. Him doing this imo actually forces pitt hand even more because this will make them even more want to get rid of him. And correct but does that businessman have to provide a certain culture of chemistry and cohesiveness in order for his product to be successful? And he wont have to try he will already be one. This also shows others they can do what they want and still be on the team. This isnt just about AB.

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. He's definitely hurting his value in the sense of what suitors will be interested. He should shut his pie hole and act professional if he wants the best possible outcome.

He's sadly mistaken if he thinks the Steelers will just release him like they did JH.

That said, I don't think it will come to that, there are suitors at the end of rd one that will likely bite on an AB trade. The very worst is rd 3. I'm thinking rd 1 or 2 now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.