1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

AB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Mack is 27 and still has probably at the very least 3 prime years left. And his impact and what he does is honestly much more impactful than a wr. Wr is a dependent position. Look at all the top receivers of all time. Other than rice, Irvin, and Harrison none of them have rings and all 3 probably weren't the best players on their team when they did win. Not Moss, T.O, cris Carter, fitz, megatron, etc...

2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    The only comparison I'm making is to their respective ages. There will never be another Jerry Rice, or Lance Alworth!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, that he took that Wednesday off before the game in New Orleans and played his best game of the season means a lot. You do what works. Also, keep in mind that Roethlisberger was playing with bruised ribs those last few weeks of the season. That the team might not play the following week is irrelevant. Practice is about getting ready for that week's game, and a day off to help keep him healthy makes every bit as much sense the final game of the regular season as it did the previous weeks.

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't think he took the Wednesday off before the Thursday game against Carolina and that game was played almost perfectly in all 3 phases so it is difficult to gauge just what the effect of rest vs practice is. Wexell said in his article that typically on Thursday Ben ends practice with situational play while the WR are on a different field. I want to know how that works.

• Like Like x 2
  5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He takes many Wednesday's off . So what about the games he doesn't play well following a Wednesday off? Doesn't that then mean a lot too? He also played his best game against Carolina where he threw for 5 TDs and had a QBR of over 158. So let's try to be accurate in the same way you preach and hold everyone else accountable. You do what works? Well sometimes taking it off works and sometimes it might not because he doesn't play lights out every week. You don't know the extent of his rib injury any more than anyone else ,so stop using that as a excuse. But I'm sure they found a working X-Ray by now. That injury was a few weeks ago. Practice is about getting ready for the next game and in this situation also the last game.......like I said.
    You do know that my opinion isn't based on any less facts than yours is. Your franchise QB,captain and leader should be taking advantage of whatever opportunity he has left whether big or small to make sure his team is prepared as much as they can be. Don't they get Monday and Tuesday off already? Isn't Wednesday the day they are all expected to resume practicing? I know Saturday is a walk through as well. So the last Wednesday which is relevant to me because it's the last one and just so happened to be a must win game ,it was decided by QB and HC it would benefit the team the most by having him not practice?

You also exclusively blame Tomlin for the PS? I'm quite sure if Ben put up a fuss like he does every time he doesn't get his way he could make a strong suggestion to his HC that he would prefer to play more. I'm sure if Brady was told he couldn't play in PS he would have a problem with it. You know why he doesn't have a problem? It's because he wants to play to be sharp so his team doesn't start the season like crap

I don't know maybe it's the way I've been raised. I was always raised that hard work may lead to disappointments but never regret. I've been in construction since right out of HS(87'). I always feel when you are ready ,willing and able you owe it to your family and your boss,supervisor and even your co-workers to show up to work and do your job. I can count on probably 2 or 3 hands the amount of work I have missed due to being sick or injured in the last 30+ years. In my line of work we don't get sick days or vacation days only the major holidays and we don't get paid for any of them. We will never see eye to eye on this because its not who I am.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I believe the last time he didn't take a Wednesday off was the week of the Raiders game.

Comparing it to the week with a Thursday night game is ridiculous. The team has to fit more into less time when they have a Thursday game. The situations are not comparable. The week before the Saints game and the week before the final game of the season however, are perfectly comparable. Both ended in Sunday games. In both cases, Roethlisberger was playing with bruised ribs, something else that wasn't the case for the Carolina game.

Coaches make decisions regarding practice and playing time. Yes, the primary blame goes on Tomlin.

By the way, Roethlisberger shows up on Wednesdays. He just doesn't participate in the physical part of the practice.

My argument is based more upon relevant facts. Yours is not.

Regarding your last paragraph, I don't know if you intended to suggest that you were raised with a strong work ethic and I was not, but that was the implication in your post and I don't appreciate it. You seemed to be suggesting that we don't see eye to eye because you work hard and I don't. You are more than welcome to stick that thought where the sun does not shine.

7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

You know the answer to your own question.

List all distraction and tantrums Kalil Mack has had, now list all of ABs, see a difference?

How many times did Kalil Mack skip out on his team before a must win game?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I didn't say anything about a Thursday night game vs Sunday I was simply pointing out the error in your claim. His best game in fact was against Carolina. You know how you so judiciously do to every one else around here.
    You are now also changing your tune on who's to blame for PS .You put it all on Tomlin and now you are saying primary. Again opinion and speculation. Try to be accurate....
    I never said he doesn't show up by the way....
    You can keep telling yourself that your opinion is fact if that helps you sleep at night and it still doesn't make it a fact. You have no idea the condition of Ben's ribs yet you keep falling back on that excuse.....opinion and speculation not fact. Unless of course you have his medical files...

As far as the brief insight into how I was brought up. I didn't imply ****. You can take my comments any way you want. Once again doesn't make you right. It's your opinion. I never said anything about you,only myself.
    Sorry if you took it that way thats the best that I can and will do. Now maybe you might have a better grasp on how your choice of words rubs me and plenty of others around here the same wrong way.

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Not sure but he did sit out the PS

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't bother he is willing to say anything to back up the fact he thinks he's so much smarter that everyone else. He says things hoping no one fact checks just to support his argument. He talks down to everyone around here and sees no problem with it but as soon as someone says something that gets his panties in a bunch he's all offended. He tried taking something I said and twist it into something that it wasn't He has no problem throwing around his own insults and derogatory words. Hypocrite to the fullest.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Not saying you're wrong at all but it was rumored that Mack was willing to sit out the entire season. I don't know if that would of actually happened but I think the threat may have played a part in him being traded.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I think...And this is jmo, and this is a Steeler Forum, but for the most part , it is an " opinion " board...

That this is common practice for " most " franchises, could be wrong...But Veterans like Ben ( especially QBs ) get basically whatever they want off...They remind me of those corny 80's movies where the star QB, with the long wavy hair, sits in the bleachers, with the hot cheerleaders pawing over him...

While the other, underdog...hard working guys are down on the field working hard and sweating...While the Star is flashing his pearly whites...

I obviously am be overdramatic on purpose, for effect...But on a serious note I think there is something/ somewhat to this stereotyped thought...

" I am the franchise QB , I have been here forever, and played very well, for a very long time...I make the most money ( again that QB thing ) And I will take, whenever I want...Wednesdays off "...

Way it's been...Way it's Always gonna be!
    Just the impression I get...right or wrong...I think wrong, But who am I !

13. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    To me contract hold outs are waaaay different than what AB did. Not a single player in the locker room begrudges a contract hold out, for the simple reason that everyone of them might want to hold out a some point. Quitting on your team during the season, before a must win game because your feeling are hurt over a BS team MVP vote, is something few players in the locker room would understand.

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Listen man 100%. This board is 99% opinion with some facts mixed in. Good thing we all have out own minds.insights and opinions or this would be a boring place. I just don't appreciate the way some people dismiss your opinions and accuse people of" whining " when they are just expressing how they feel . At the same time these same people will try to latch on to anything they can to act all offended themselves. I don't appreciate being talked down to and I don't appreciate hypocrites. If someone doesn't like another's opinion it's fine and if you want to voice your own don't do it in a condescending manner. If you can't help yourself then just butt out.
    I come here daily for hours a day to have conversations with my fellow Steeler fans. Voice my opinions,take some light hearted jabs and generally have some fun. I'm sorry that there are some who come here just to prove how smart they are and act like they are never wrong. I know I've had a few tense back and forths myself but I always end them on friendly terms with a joke or a agree to disagree and sometimes I've had to even apologize for getting a little out of hand.
    It's not that serious . There are people who are gonna agree and disagree that's what it's all about. There is no reason to be a jerk about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    No doubt. I was just pointing out that Mack supposedly was willing to put himself above the team. The steelers locker room at least a few guy's seemed to begrudge Bells hold out. I think it was Foster who commented about bells money vs his. But you're point is taken.

The MVP theory is speculation. It may in fact be true but no one knows for sure. It just conveniently fits the narrative

16. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    There's no comparing a top DL to a top WR. The DL is always worth far more

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    I get made fun of and Idgaf...I'm a Steelworker, been for 40 years...I was before computers and cell phones...

I readily admit I don't how to copy and paste, upload stuff...Started working at 17 And trust me, my 3 sons ride my Ass make/ tease me , because I don't know this phone stuff...I've merged threads, made other threads on basically the same topic..And been talked down to like I'm some kind of Moron...

And again idgaf...If it makes you feel smarter / tough / better, Have at it...I get on here to talk Steeler Football that I am very passionate about...Will continue to, Don't like it, keep scrollin, say something smartass, if that gets your rocks off, or join in, give me your spin...If not, I think I'll get thru it!

• Like Like x 3
  18. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Well I guess I did not know that. I assumed Ben took those days off because he asked or wanted to. If Tomlin calls it then I guess this is on Tomlin to fix. I wonder if Ben requested not to take those days off if Tomlin would have a change of heart.

19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

well they can say what they want but I think you are doing great. I mean you actually know and use idgaf lol

• Like Like x 1
  20. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    See respect :herewego:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
  22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Trade Brown for Mack, and make me a happy person.

A man can dream.

23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Need to work Tarik Cohen in that deal somehow.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I assumed both Ben and Tomlin had approval and veto power re: veteran days. If either one wants Ben to practice, he does. If either wants him to rest, he does. If they have conflicting wants, they work it out.

• Informative Informative x 1
  25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Right now the goldilocks approach to this discussion seems ridiculous. Sat out the preseason and started slow, week and a half off for the bye and looks like crap. Short 3 days of intense preparation and practice results best played game of the season. Five days off after that game plays like crap. But the weeks against the Raiders and Saints with limited participation on Wednesday is just right.

I think the forced short week was the best but I guess that week is an aberration and should be thrown out, just too small

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.