1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

AB: Rudolph and Washington going to be special

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 21, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I used to have hair and It was a whole different color too. :smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think of Hugh Downs and Barbara Walters. :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    To each his own but fantasies like that are well ewwww.:smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    What are the odds that Ben gets hurt THIS YEAR and Mason starts and never looks back? I hope that does not happen, but we have seen it many times on the NFL.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Odds? High I am afraid.

Even if we do not account last season's finale against Cleveland and 2016 no less, Ben has not completed a full season since 2014. Nevermind the toll a quarterback takes playing this long but Ben's style of play has gotten himself into more injuries than most other quarterbacks. The likelihood of seeing the backup, be it Jones, Rudolph or Dobbs, is likely I am afraid.

Now, regarding Mason Rudolph taking over completely and not looking back is going to depend on a myriad of factors. They are as follows;

1.) The severity of Ben's injury.

2.) How long will Ben be out.

3.) The quality of opponent Mason will go up against.

4.) How well can Mason compete against said opponent.

5.) Could Mason be able to win said games under extreme circumstances.

Here are my personal two outcomes assuming all are followed within order:

1.) If one and two are worst case scenarios and if Mason showcases he is truly "the guy", then look for the team to stick with Ben until his contract runs out.

2.) If one and two occur with the worst case scenarios and if Mason stumbles, nevermind the teams record but the team will likely sign Ben to an extension given the fact he is going to be due one at some point.

Essentially, Ben vs. Mason is not so much about Ben's injury or even Mason's amount of game time played. What Ben vs. Mason is about pretains to the maturation of Mason vs. the level of consistency with Ben. Whichever shows the greatest amount of ability is the road the Front Office will take.

• Like Like x 1
  6. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I don't know about that 2-3 year time frame. Players of Ben's level, and a 1st Ballot HOF'er at that, don't give up the throne easily and I don't blame them. They always think they still have something in them that makes them different from the others. That's how they became what they are in the 1st place. I know many will point to this and that but I've always believed and still do, more than ever, that Ben will be around another 5 at least.

Hell, Rice still thinks he can play right now and he's an old man. Legends don't die easily that's why they're legends.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’d say the odds are extremely low. The chances of Ben getting hurt maybe not, but Rudolph is not keeping the job once Ben gets healthy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    My concern is how they play Ben if he gets hurt. He likes to play hurt and as we have seen many times not so effective. It will probably be more intensified the older he gets. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    never sat well with me that they let him limp out there at times because he says he can go... When the whole damn world knows he'd be best saved for later games that matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah right, Rudolph will be the #2 in 2020. Ben will most likely sign a contract extension next offseason.

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Rudolph hasn't played a down in the NFL, yet fans are anointing him as the next great Steelers QB :shrug:. We have seen many BIG XII QBs put up big numbers in college, then be a bust in the NFL. Rudolph isn't that mobile, and for a big guy his arm strength isn't that great.

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Yeah browns fans had a fantasy about Manziel being their savior, unlikely rudolph will have a social meltdown but for him to become a starting QB for the steelers he has a lot of hurdles to overcome before he is the next franchise QB, this is a good opportunity for him but he has a lot of work ahead of him to become that guy......

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it all goes hand in hand with what is put around him. ben wouldnt be as good without the players that have been put around him either. it doesnt matter from what conference they came from. heck ben and AB are from the MAC. :cool:

14. Diamond

May 26, 2012

The only players rudolph will have around him will be our 2s and 3s and he will play against 2s and 3s and vanilla defenses so all things being equal we will see if he can shine or not at that level in pre season.....

15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I find it a bit ironic that Mason is docked for his arm strength and James for his speed when they were clearly the best with the deep bomb plays.

I'm optimistic for both of them. I think James' game speed is good with pads. I think ultimately Mason can put more meat on the body. He looks tiny compared to Ben despite the 6'5" frame.

16. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Mason weighed 235 at the combine, thats only 5 pounds less than Ben weighed at the combine, his weight is fine at 235: PS Carson Wentz another 6-5 QB to compare to mason only weighed two pounds more than Mason at 237:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    this season to start at least diamond. i'm talking overall about big 12 qbs and lumping them all as one. :cool:

18. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Well I agree, conference doesnt mean anything, wentz came from a no name conference as well......

19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think Mason can put another 15 pounds on. He looks tiny compared to Ben despite the frame.

He'd be fine, but he can do better.

Compare at 0:23 on the bottom video.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben is chubby and has 2 chins. I don’t think that’s a good basis for comparison.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That's because nobody plays any defense in the BIG XII, of course Washington and Rudolph put up big numbers.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben also has 2 rings :shrug:

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Both before the two chins.:cool:

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben has never been a skinny guy in the NFL, he's still effective at his playing weight :shrug:.

25. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Both Dobbs and Young Landry were 4th round picks and although Dobbs was only a rookie last year neither guy look even close to being a legit NFL starter. Mason is a third rounder. I think we better wait to anoint him the heir to Ben. More likely he’s a dud like those two than a stud like BB