1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

AB restructures contract to create cap space

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Steelers2018

Steelers2018 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Funny that you think that you know wether he will or won’t. I forgot how long did you play in the nfl? Oh we’re you also a generational RB? What’s funny is all you simpletons would love him if he didn’t stand up for what he’s worth. “Oh the RB market has been down for years. It must always stay that way”-simpletons

2. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    A back that they run the wheels off...Had surgery on both knees, and his groin...But he's gonna get healthier as he ages lol...Simpletons!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Well for 14 mil we get this "OFFENSIVE WEAPON" who routinely rips off runs of greater than 25 yds, nope he doesn't do that. At least he is guaranteed to make a first down on short yardage nah that's not his thing either. He must never get stopped for a loss or no gain, nope that happens pretty often to. Oh yeah he blows the lid of defenses with his pass catching and breaks tackles for huge gains, nope average 7.7 ypc about where you are when you catch a dump off. He must be a clubhouse leader and team player that rally's the guys behind him and sets an example first one in last one out, again not really his thing.

Bell is a good RB probably a very good RB but he thinks he is an elite RB/WR.

Look closely at the attitude, the real numbers and put a different color jersey on him and see if you would pay him 14 mil, I wouldn't.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Steelers2018

Jan 17, 2018
    Yeah, those injuries really effected him didn’t they. Also I forgot what year did you play RB in the nfl? Or can you see into the future? Don’t try me buddy I know more than you ever will. Stick with the majority and take the easy way out on this argument. I’ll be on the other side of the fence making actaual points

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steelers2018

Jan 17, 2018
    You’re right he sucks,he isn’t the best rb in the league and you’re a better player than he is. All the bull **** you just named means nothing. He doesn’t have to do any of that to be a once in a generation player which he is. Funny thing is I never said that he was asking for too much or too little. Me just simply making points against the majority of simple answers has caused you guys to attack that aspect of the conversation

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Why are you making this personal? Quit with the name calling...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    He can't play both positions at the same time. I don't understand that argument.

I can't believe he turned down 5 years for $60 million last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I don't hate Bell I just think he has an unrealistic self worth. He racks up big numbers but that is from a hell of a lot of carries and its hard to say he is a generational RB when he averages just 4 ypc. He gets a lot of dump off passes because Haley could not design plays to get anyone other than Brown open half the time. I might be critical but its hard to call him generational when he doesn't consistently produce first downs on short yardage.

Our offensive line is very good when they are pulling with DD and or MP but they are not road graders that move people off the line, that and Bells hesitation style gets stuffed in tight formations on short yardage plays. Hey I am old school I loved it when the entire stadium knew Bettis was getting the ball on 3rd and 2 and they still couldn't stop him. Most short yardage situations they don't even look to Bell.

I am still looking forward to see what the new OC can do with the tools available on this offense

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Ya ok Einstein...He hasn't had a run over 20 yards in 2 years...Don't try me with your horse****

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Your grammar and punctuation errors are grating on my nerves, but they do add an element of ironic humor to the thread.

I have no problem at all with Bell standing up for what he thinks he is worth, but I also have no problem with the Steelers disagreeing and refusing to cave.

You apparently believe everybody should just defer to Bell's judgement, which is comically wrong. Your suggestion that only people who played in the NFL can evaluate talent is particularly ridiculous. The average length of an NFL running back's career is three years. Now of course, that is skewed by guys who aren't any good, but NFL running backs are not still in their primes in their ninth seasons. That's not to say they can't still be good, but that is not their prime. That you don't know that also adds to the ironic humor on this thread.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    When you have no response, resort to insults. Nice work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    You're making some useful counterpoints in this thread, but it's getting a bit undermined by the tone.

Anyways, my views are that:

- AB restructuring his contract to 'help the team' is true to an extent, but AB will not be getting any less money for it. Restructuring is a short-term move that has long-term implications. I'm not against the move, and I'm glad we're getting more cap space, but it's not as simple as AB being a 'team player' over Bell being an *******.

- Can't help feeling that there's something going on around this Bell shenanigans which we're not seeing, and I wonder if it's a combination of a) the finer details of the contract (i.e. how much guaranteed money etc.) which don't translate well into social media; b) his agent having feelers out elsewhere and having some kind of Plan B; c) like Steelers2018 said, Bell feeling like the Steelers have got a lot out of him for his rookie contract, and wanting some payback for that; and c) Bell being a bit of a dick, which is the kind of flipside of his competitiveness.

C and D can kind of merge into one, I guess, depending on which side of the table you're sat at.

13. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok first off McCoy made 1.3m last season so 14.5 - 10.3 is not 6m more. Also like I pointed out in another thread look at Fournette's contract, 4@27 and is going to make 6-7-8m the next 3 years. He is a freakin rookie making that kind of money, I think we can all agree Bell has put up good numbers and is one of if not the best RB right now. Keep all the other stuff out of it just production on the field he is damn good, he does so many things run, catch and block.

Now onto another thing people keep bringing up. Bell running his mouth, I got all the updates about how Bell could sit out half the season blah blah blah. You know what I also got that people don't post here, I got after all these other "reports" came out an update saying Bell clears up RUMORS about him missing time. Guys how much that is reported is true and how much is Bell or his agent talking to help negotiate? By no means and I giving Bell a pass but I also am not ready to get all pissed cause the guy is trying to get paid.

Now onto signing a FA to those who think Dion Lewis is the answer. Please if I remember right he kept being put in Belicheats doghouse cause he could hold on the ball. Also if he was so good and can do all the things Bell can why did the Cheats need so many other backs? Who in FA can do what Bell does....nobody, that don't mean we are done without Bell what it means is we would have to change our style without him. That is where my strong opinion to keep Bell is coming from, we have a QB who has probably 2 good years left I don't want to waste them trying to get him comfortable with a new RB. Ben loves Bell and feels comfortable with him and that has made everyone else in this offense better. Ben knows he can do whatever down field and still have his safety valve right there for him and both are on the same page. Bell stays in to block and he knows when Ben is in trouble slips out and helps Ben. These are things you can't just plug and play with anyone and honestly we don't have the time to learn. Let's see how everyone feels when player X is signed and he misses his first blitz pick up and our QB is laying on the ground and our season will now be in Jones hands, 14m will look like a bargain then.

Also as far as Bell turning down 60m I do believe I read it was about guaranteed money and that is where I side with the Steelers. Bell is a 2 strike player and if we guarantee this money I am worried, I am thinking we run the wheels off this season and have a plan in place for next year, but he have to plan now not at the start of next year. jmo

14. Steelers2018

Jan 17, 2018

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steelers2018

Jan 17, 2018
    Hahahaha I’m not writing a paper nor do I care about punctuation when replying in a forum. But funny you try to attack me for going against the grain and make real points about Bell. Find one spot in this thread where I’ve said he is asking for too much or too little. I haven’t! I’ve simply made realistic points. This is the real world money makes the world go round. If I was in Bells shoes I sure in the hell would be trying to get as much as I could, as would you

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    So we have Bell. So what. Their is a price to be paid. Pushing money into the future. He states he wants to be paid like Ben and Brown. Penis envy. He raps about it, horrible as it is. He wants to be paid like a #1 running back and a #2 receiver. Well folks he is NOT a receiver. A #1 running back yes. Not a #2 receiver, not a slot receiver. All running backs are now used in the passing game. He has a thought in his brain to revolutionize the position, to be the first to get running back/receiver money. The Steelers obviously don't think so. And won't. This isn't over. Even under the exclusive tag he still can be traded. Its just that other teams cannot negotiate. So if his agent gets some interest the Steelers could agree to let him go and receive compensation. Providing Bell signs and agrees. Someone will pay his rap demands. Smart for the Steelers to tag him exclusively.

Hey i'm all for anyone to maximize their earning potential. But, he has been nothing but unprofessional and a distraction. And still has maturity issues. And unrealistic expectations.

Plus he has a substance abuse and injury history. The Steelers offered him a 5 year deal at 60 last year. Not enough upfront money. That tells you something. He is a talent, but it's obvious the brass doesn't trust him. And his Mom wanted him to take that deal.

So now we are at a rental for another year. All in. With a declining defense, no money to update this unit and will have to rely on the draft. Oh, and we also have to draft a running back.

I thank AB for helping out but he is not losing any coin. Just push push push into the future.

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    You make both good and bad points, sorry his 107 targets may not make him a WR in name but it sure the heck makes him one on the field. As for the Steelers not thinking so your wrong cause why did they offer 60m if they didn't think so and why are they saying now they want to lock him up? Because they do think so, jmo. Also Bell cannot be traded until he signs the tag and without being able to negotiate with that team(that would be tampering) he will not sign and no team is going to wait till June for him to do that.

Bell has said he will treat this offseason like last offseason so get ready he will not be in camp and that stinks. I agree about the guaranteed money thing it does tell us something and that is where I am starting to get scared off.

As far as money goes with Bell being tagged and AB restructure we are just over a mil in space. We have to cut Mitchell if we don't then we don't need the money cause nobody is going to be replacing him anyways. Mitchell - 5m, Wilcox - 3.1m, Gay - 1.7m, Golden - 1.7m, Sensabaugh - 1.4m alone right there is 12.9 freed up from players that offer nothing as far as starting material. Between FA and the draft we can replace all of these guys not to mention what we have on the roster in guys like Allen and Sutton. Extend Ben and Pouncey and there could be at least another 10m if not more I think we freed up 10 mil on Tuitt alone. Also tear up Vance's deal and get a more team friendly one or cut him and draft a replacement, I know people don't like that but he is not worth 4-6 mil over the next 4 years. The money is there people have to get over the hate for Bell and accept the fact he in here and now lets fix this D, JMO

18. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    But at what cost? He has to know they have a cap. U constantly here of players tsking team friendly deals. If he gets what he is asking for then they have zero flexibility under the cap. Sure, get yours while you can but then dont hit social media and say you want to be here and win championships when u know that wont happen if they cant pay multiple positions and fix the defense.

Would you rather have bell or brown? Bell or ben? Bell or heyward? You cant pay a guy 2 times what the market is or you will kill your franchise down the road. He has to realize that and just doesnt care. They have come to him with better than fair deals 2 years in a row. In my opinion great deals for him.

So u think we should give a running back with injury history and suspension history 18 million a year? I am seriously asking cause i dont get it

19. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Bell wanting more money is one thing, threatening to sit games is wrong. I'm more spiteful than the Rooneys. Not only would I pull the tag, I'd wait as long as I could so Bell wouldn't break the bank with some other team. But they don't pull that stuff, so they're going to be stuck with this drama for many months. The JUICE ain't worth the squeeze!

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I get what your saying and agree however where did it say Bell was gonna miss games, or where is the proof? I read the quote where Bell himself said he would treat this like last year and not miss any games. Of course that means no training camp which I don't like but at least it will give all the haters more to talk about since he will be rusty and not worth a damn in route to another 400 touch season...........like last season!

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He said on more then one occasion that he may retire if they tagged him, one right before the Jags playoff game.

Yesterday he clarified and made the statement that he wont miss any games but wont be in camp either. Repeat of last year.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes he did and don't you think it was a scare tactic on his part, you know since they are in negotiations? He also was quick to say how he wanted to be a Steeler long term and how he won't miss games, but like I said people want to hold onto the bad stuff and not the good stuff, that is how this world works anymore. I am by no means trying to defend him sitting out of camp but I also think people are pounding him for stuff that really has no meaning. How many games did he miss last year due to hold out, that is what I am talking about. I see both sides not sure either is right......

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You asked and I told you. He did say it :shrug:

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I remember when this post was about AB :huh:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist