1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

AB Hangin' With Russell Wilson; Contract Extensions

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by EddieBurro, Jun 26, 2016.

1. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I'm sure I'm overreacting (they're shooting a commercial together in LA), but it's making me kinda nervous.

He keeps praising RW. An hour ago he posted on Facebook: "constantly surround yourself with positive and driven individuals that hold you to high standards."

Earlier this week he was quoted as saying RW had a "cannon" for an arm.

Hoping they don't develop a LeBron/D-Wade/Bosh kinda friendship.

A couple years ago when AB threatened to hold out and everybody gave him hell I was suggesting they back up the armored truck and give him whatever he wanted. 99% of the time I side with management in these situations. This is different. This guy is unique, the most valuable player on our team, and a difference maker. We need to make it a priority to lock up AB ASAP.

Next offseason should be interesting. That's when we have historically extended our stars (AB is signed through 2017).

We're supposed to be extending Le'Veon THIS offseason (as he becomes a FA following 2016) and I haven't heard a word about it. It's crazy he's playing 2016 at only $1.3mill. I did a little research to see if anybody else is talking about this and one of the writers at Steelers Depot echoed my belief (about a week ago -- I guess I provided the echo) that we should lock him up now:
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/06/steelers-shouldnt-wait-2017-extend-leveon-bell/

Big decisions on the horizon. Hoping Khan can work some magic.

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The Seahacks can't afford him. He isn't going anywhere. He seen first hand last year what happens when he doesn't have Ben.

3. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012
    bell wont negotiate until he is healthy. plus, the steelers would be stupid to offer bell a huge extention not knowing if he will recover fully from his injury
    bell voluntarily signed his contract that pays him 1.6 this year. typical of every rookie contract

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Dude what the hell, there are radical extremist alligators loose in Florida killing our children and threatening our way of life and you want to worry about Brown and Wilson joining the Mutual Male Admiration society? Get your priorities straight dangerous killer reptiles are threatening to collapse our great nation we don't have time for silliness.

To soon?

By the by the Ministry of Random Silliness will be closed this following week to commemorate the foolishness that was the overthrow of King and County in the colonies in the name of, of all things, freedom. This has been a public service announcement by the department of wit and sarcasm making fun since 1933

5. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    What are you talking about Bell in a Brown thread? So confusing

6. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    I, for one, welcome our soon-to-be reptilian overlords.

7. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012

confusing? really?
    the original poster said this:
    We're supposed to be extending Le'Veon THIS offseason (as he becomes a FA following 2016) and I haven't heard a word about it. It's crazy he's playing 2016 at only $1.3mill

8. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes confusing since the bulk of the post is about Brown hanging with Wilson and whether that will lead Brown to hold out this year or whether it could lead to Brown being courted by Seattle and the part you focus on is the final paragraph about Bell and the lack of movement around his contract.

9. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012

lol.......alrighty then

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, he had Vick and Landry throwing him the ball, Wilson is a little better than those two. AB and Ben do have good chemistry but if he goes to a team with a good QB, he'll still be lights out.

I think he'll remain in Pittsburgh though.

11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Dude don't even get me started on the alligator thing. My opinion already almost broke the internet on another site talking about it. LOL!!!

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That was you?

13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yep. Sorry. LOL! For one simple opinion I've been called "despicable", "disgusting", "repulsive", etc... If you want the whole story just pm me. I don't think you'll be nearly as offended as some since you're not a snowflake. LOL!

14. EddieBurro

Jan 22, 2016
    "The Steelers would be stupid to offer Bell a huge extension", or . . . they can extend him now leveraging the unknown of the injury and not have to pay quite as much.

If Bell comes out and lights the league on fire this season, it will cost a heck of a lot more to re-sign him.

It's a gamble or . . . a calculated risk.

It's probably all a moot point. I'm sure both parties are taking the wait-and-see approach.

Might be a good year to mix in a lot of DeAngelo for twofold purpose: 1) Allow Le'Veon to heal more effectively by lessening his workload and 2) Keep his numbers (stats) down for negotiation purposes in the offseason.

15. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    If Bell is having the kind of season he is capable of having I would hope this team (or any team for that matter) would never limit a players playing time for negotiation purposes. If they did I could no longer be a fan!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

You could compare Bell to the deal the cardinals are about to make with their safety Mathieu coming off the same injury as Bell:

Read more at: AZ Central Sports: Kent Summers:

By all indications, the Cardinals are going to re-sign safety Tyrann Mathieu to a lucrative contract extension this summer, adding another chapter to a great comeback story.

On Monday morning, NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported the Cardinals and Mathieu’s agent, Tom Condon, are “deep” in negotiations on a deal that would make Mathieu the league’s highest paid safety.

Mathieu is under contract for this year and is due to make $1.5 million. He also is coming off his second ACL tear in the past three seasons and has yet to be healthy throughout an entire NFL season.

If I’m Cardinals General Manager Steve Keim, I want to see what Mathieu looks like in late August or September before committing millions of dollars.

17. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    just to clarify

it actually was an AMERICAN CROCODILE that perpetrated that attack
    then again
    marine biology is something that could go to the wayside for a landlocked hillbilly from tn
    who wooda thunk
    stick to box turtles or ninjas
    preacher man

leave the big green lizards in others backyards to the dead milkmen

BOT
    wait on bell

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Seahawks just signed Doug Baldwin to a 46 million contract extension, I don't think you have to worry about them signing AB.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    When the Steelers signed AB to that contract I thought they were over paying and I believe they were for at least the first year or two. Now he's definitely underpaid. So I believe there is some give and take there.

If I recall correctly the Steelers did some things to get him some more money before last season. An act of good faith on their part.
    I think (hope) both sides are reasonable when it's time for his next contract. If not we can always tag him.

20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

All they did was advance him 2 million$ from his 2016 salary to 2015, AB is still going to be worse off making 2 million less this year, question is, will Brown be quiet over the 2 mill less he will be making this year because of last years advance, this article discusses where both sides stand at the moment...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...io-brown-to-honor-contract-without-any-issue/

21. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012
    brown is not underpaid, baldwin is overpaid.

22. EddieBurro

Jan 22, 2016
    I'm sure it's been made clear to him that he'll get that money back when we extend him long term after the 2016 season.

23. EddieBurro

Jan 22, 2016
    He was one of the best wr's in the game last year over the last month and a half of the season. I guess they liked that about him.

He caught 11 tds over the last 6 weeks.

For perspective, AB caught 10 tds on the SEASON.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Brown at this point is definitely underpaid.
    I do think he should honor his contract though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I really don't even know why I bother with this guy.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1