1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

AB - 2000

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelersUK, Dec 12, 2017.

1. SteelersUK

SteelersUK Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Although it looks very unlikely, if AB can some how get to 2000 receiving yards will that win him MVP?

No reason why he can’t have a couple more big games but if we’re sat comfy with home field advantage come Browns game then I can’t imagine him being risked

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If you had asked before Sunday ida said no way. With Wentz out y not 84?

3. SteelersUK

SteelersUK Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2017

I agree, but it’s a QB league so unless he breaks the record I just don’t see a WR getting it, even though he’s been unreal all season

4. Steelers

Steelers Member

Apr 26, 2014
    With Wentz injured and brady played terrible game yesterday so why not? but i would still say it would be really tough. because mvp is more like popularity contest than real constant-difference-maker (like Brown is) award. Saying that, if 2000 yard would be a criteria it means he would need to play next 3 games each around 166 yards

5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I say yes. A 14-2 team, first to reach 2k yards...

6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I don't think he has a reasonable chance at 2,000. The patriots are going to use double coverage against AB. That should limit his productivity. At least that's the reasoning behind it. He will also more than likely sit for a fair portion if not all of the final regular season game. He would basically have to crush the NFL record of 339 yards in a single game in week 16 vs the Texans.

7. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    He would have to have a huge game this week and a win. The negative though with that is if the Steelers clinch the #1 seed, I just don't think Tomlin would play him much against Cleveland.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    yeah, he's got no chance at 2k, he needs @500 yards. Unless he has two monster 200+ yard games this week and next, because even if they don't win against the Pats, they most likely win against Texas.

That happens, there's no way he gets on the field for the Browns game as they already would have the 2 seed wrapped up.

Stranger things have happened though, but I doubt either way he plays against the Browns unless he's really close. Say within 100 yards close....

9. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    If he sets a record and we beat the pats then he definitely has s chance. A huge game against NE would go a long way to getting him in the conversation. 150 yards and 2 TDs would be a great start. he "only" needs to average like 165 yards a game (which is crazy but very doable for him) to get the 2k. Not highly likely, but definitely a possibility

10. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think he may win it even if he doesn't get to 2000 (which he won't, not this year anyway). Every sports talk show on TV is talking about so the idea of him as MVP is out there and being talked about. This is an award voted on by the media.

11. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Agree with you, but keep in mind this is the same media (for the most part) that believes Julio Jones is the better receiver of the two. Hard to envision them making him MVP unless he puts up some crazy numbers over the next 2 weeks *AND* we go 14-2.

12. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I think he has to reach 2,000 yards and we win out for him to get the award. It's definitely not impossible, but it would be tough -- on both levels.

On that note, if we win out and Ben continues his incredible surge, would he have a chance? Let's say he grabs 9 touchdowns and 3 interceptions, and averages around 350 yards a game over the last three games (which is probable), he'd be at 33 TD and 16 INT with the best team in football... it could happen!

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    AB gets doubled every game.

14. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Nah. Those stats would be less than his 2014 season, and I don’t recall him being in the MVP conversation that year.

15. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Pats have shown an ability to limit their opponents best players. So AB is going to have a difficult time getting 160+ yards. On top of that, if week 17 is meaningless, we shouldn't be risking AB just so he can hit some arbitrary number that won't matter to anyone but AB.

If the Seahawks make the playoffs, I think Wilson will win MVP. Brady will be right up there too depending on how his numbers look over the next couple games. AB is being mentioned and has a chance, but again, the next few games will determine how much of a chance he has.

16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    They didn't give it to Calvin Johnson when he had 1,964 in 2015.

Being that Rodgers is out. Wentz went down. Brady not playing at the MVP level that you be used to.

If AB sniffs close to 2000, he could win it.

Kind of a down year for competition for the award.

Most valuable should mean how much worse would your team be if you didn't have this guy.

That is what valuable means.

If AB wasn't on the Steelers easily subtract 4 or 5 wins that we have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I would settle for him only being the Superbowl MVP!

• Like Like x 3
  18. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Last two games against the Pats, he averages around 100 yards. 100 yards and a win then I can see him going for 200+ on Christmas. If we win, we can be pass heavy last 2 games and get it for him. If they lose then we need to win out and can't cater to him so I see it getting hairy and he might not get it.