1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Aaron Smith to IR

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by traceman, Oct 22, 2011.

1. traceman

traceman Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
  2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    here we go another 6 milion for nothing , unbeliaveable he was not restructured before the season :banghead:

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Shi....

A few thoughts occur.

1) I actually posted on the other board how this was the first injury of his I could recall that didn't result in IR, but only a few games missed. Guess I heard wrong.

2) This will hurt us. A lot of people think he wasn't doing anything anyway, but they're wrong. He was still good, was getting better, and gave us phenomenal depth. Now we're back to a Nick Eason quality #4.

3) Good thing Heyward is as good as he is. We need to work him in more now.

4) We did extend him for a year, but I would not be surprised if he just retires.

5) He will never get the credit he deserves, ever. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer in my opinion. But it's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Best Players, so Elvis Dumerville has a better chance.

4. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Thx for your years of great play Mr. Smith, you will be missed.

5. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Smith is my faviorate current STEELER player.Had the opportunity to meet and chat with him his rookie year in Da Burgh.Posed for a pic with my than 10 year old son.Aaron is a class act and gave his heart and sole to the team every play!!

Time to call it a career Aaron.Hood and Hayward will make you proud.Retire a STEELER and wait for your well deserved HOF induction!!Thanks for the memeroies!

6. kwebste6

kwebste6 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Not good... might have been his last year. We need to make some cap room after this year and dont see us keeping him around for 6 million. Thanks for the great play when your healthy though! hell of a player! Time for Hood to step up.

7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Seems that way. Man, what a bummer...he had a lot of awesomeness in the tank still. On the other side of the coin, Heyward is a beast and I'm eager to see him mature.

8. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yep, looks like the end of the line(oops, no pun intended).
    Difficult to conceive how under-rated he was, and how some Steeler fans 'dog him out' for being injured.
    He was definitely a very key player for quite a while, and will be missed, hopefully, not too obviously missed.

FInd Casey's replacement, then we have the future.

9. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It looks like the end for a great Steeler. Two SB rings and alot of years of selfless, high performance on the D-line. Not to forget mentioning, he's a fantastic person. Thank you Aaron Smith for all of the years of dedication to the Black-n-Gold.

Moving forward... How's that Heyward pick last year look now?

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :this:

11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
  12. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Think he is done. Wish we would have kept Gibson last year. As Smith has played like 2 games since and seems done.

Smith was a great Steeler

13. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm sad to see this. He fit the Steeler mold very well for a long time for us.

But age and injuries will catch everyone sooner or later. We've more than likely seen his last game as a Steeler - maybe his last game ever. Thanks for the hard work and great play, Aaron. You'll be missed. :herewego:

14. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It's obvious his 35 year old body is worn down and just can't handle the grind anymore. Definitely a Steelers' HOF player. I would be surprised if he doesn't retire.

15. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I posted this on the ?b?r?o?k?e?n? other board but I doubt I will get many replies.

I'm sorry to see this happen, but I'm glad the front office didn't let him hang around the entire season like last year on a what-if. Does anyone know how a player on IR effects the cap? Will the team get some of this money back to sign another player?

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I was wondering the same. Or if he could retire mid-season.

Does this mean Corbin Bryant gets moved up into the squad, or do we pick up an FA?

17. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I thank him for his service over the years. Certainly one of the most unheralded Steelers ever and one of the most underrated NFL players over the past decade.

I do hope he decides to call it quits though and not try to make yet another futile comeback next year.

18. Somathus

Somathus Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Damn, that is a bad way to start off a Sunday. Looks like this is the end for Aaron. Thanks Big Guy! Even though your last three years have been a dis appointment, you were an absolute beast of a DE for us for a decade.

Good luck in the next phase of your life and thanks for tall the memories

19. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ditto.

20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Aaron and Heath epitomized what it is to be a Steeler to me. Quiet, unassuming, guys who did their jobs and didn't get the flashy highlight film plays but were great none the less. He will be missed. Thanks Aaron for all you have done for the team.

21. SoFlaSteelNation

SoFlaSteelNation Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Aaron Smith has commanded double teams and kept o lineman off our linebackers for years. He was truly a selfless player and a perfect Steeler.

That being said, I am very excited to see Hood and Heyward pick up the slack. I think Hood is a monster who is only going to get better the more experience he gains from playing. The Steelers have been consistently great longer than most squads because they rarely miss on first round talent, and I doubt Hood and Heyward will be any different. So while Smith will be missed dearly, we've got two young guns chomping at the bit. Makes me wish I was still playing ball!

22. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    A true warrior but his body just won't hold up for him.

23. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    So long, it's been fun while you were here.

3 out of the last 5 years on IR and basically collecting a BIG check while sitting at home. No thanks. Smith is not Joe Greene. It is over.

No way he is on the team next year unless they release him (after IR) and then resign him for the minimum. And then at that, I would not be in favor of it.

This IS what happens when you play longer than your body allows. Injuries upon injuries that if you were younger, you might have been able to work thru.

As the saying goes, "the mind is willing but the body is weak."

Hopefully, he will see that he is done and won't leave it to the team to put him down.

rutan

24. ND_Steel

ND_Steel Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Great player, no doubt, but don't see it translating to a date with the Hall. If Dawson with many All Pro selections can't get in, no way Smitty gets in. He'll most certainly be missed, he knew his role in the 3-4 better than any other and did it well for a long time. Shame that injuries took him down.

25. TwentyFourSeven

TwentyFourSeven Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011