1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Aaron Donald new contract and Rams operations

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Vox Ferrum, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    This is not necessarily the pro or con of his contract. Just asking opinions on Rams way of doing business. They have been to two recent Super Bowls, winning one. With this new contract the top 7 players will take about 75 per cent of the projected Cap next year. They have not had a first round pick since 2016 and apparently Cooper Kupp is in talks for more money.

Already projected at 13 million over the Cap.next year. Hard to argue the success, but do you feel this is sustainable?

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hell no.....also they were a dropped pick from not even getting 2 the SB.

3. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Washington got to the SB in the 80s by signing aged vets. Different time and no salary cap. The Rams certainly have had success with this, and have hit on 4th round and beyond talent. I just see a vacuum coming though. These guys will get old quick with still huge amounts of guaranteed money and no top end draft picks to replace them. Jmho.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Washington also had one of the greatest Coaches IMO during that time....While I think McVay is good I don't think He's equal 2 Gibbs. Also like You mentioned different times, and salary cap.

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Me and @S.T.D have stated many times that this is essentially short term victories but long term defeats. Team building is not done through trading away picks periodically and continually relying on players drafted in rounds 2-6 to be either solid starters or depth players 100% of the time. 1st Round picks are still a premium and many have shown throughout the ages to outplay their draft slot; T.J. Watt, Justin Jefferson and coincidentally, Aaron Donald being some of the more prime examples.

What should be asked is not how long can they keep this up. What needs to be asked is what is the contingency plan should those depth and role players severely underperform when called upon?! Star players will greatly increase a team's chances of winning but even they alone cannot do it on their own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Donald is a one time generation talent. Yes you have today, but history shows after 30 the drop off and injuries come on quickly. Maybe he is one that ot won't happen to. But all that money was guaranteed. 7 guys put of 53 taking 75 pet cent of the Cap..a couple of injuries and you are sunk

• Like Like x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

There actually is one more aspect I intentionally left out as to why Stan Kronke is doing any of this in the first place; location. Los Angeles and, California for that matter, is a highly diverse metropolitan area that can cater to truly any form of lifestyle. Yes, Califronia and Californians do desire and place a premium on winners and winning in general but, compared to a state with fewer recreational outlets such as Ohio or Pennsylvania, there are other forms of escapism to enjoy and entertain oneself with than without.

Remember that California was the only state to hit double digit figures for GDP; 14.6% in 2021. Comparing that to the rest of the world, California alone would be 5th overall.... just as a state?! What does that all mean for Stan Kronke though?!

More money means more projects in the state. More projects means more recreational activities. More recreational activities means more options to choose from. Most of all...

More options to choose from means more money goes into whatever that person is doing. San Francisco is a very popular city no doubt but Los Angeles is the far superior tourist/vacation attraction.

In short?! Kronke has no other option other than to push all his chips to the center of the table to force public opinion that what his product in the Rams can entertain you with can far exceed what any other form of entertainment can be found in LA. It is not just other places like resorts, amusement parks, beaches or other venues he is competing with either. Other sports teams are involved as well; the Dodgers, Lakers, Clippers? Kings and even the continued rise of the LA Chargers.

Do not forget about Lincoln Riley and his plans for USC either.

• Like Like x 1
  8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    At my age I say sell the house to win a Championship. IMO the Rams made a mistake and will pay for it over time but a lot of older Ram fans don't care since they got to see one more Championship.

The question is, do I want to see smart moves and 7-8 years of always being in the hunt or one Championship and 7-8 years of pure suck. At this point I'll take that Championship.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1st....which ram fans???...
    2nd....Hell No. I've watched suck before....I don't want 2 watch suck again....Last year was close 2 suck enough for Me.

10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I understand but I'd put #7 in my pocket and follow the Steelers like I follow the Pirates.

I have 14 Championships in my lifetime being a Burgh fan. (not counting the Pipers/Condors or Pitt's NCAA Championship) Way I see it that's damn good for a small city like Pittsburgh. A lot of cities don't touch that and we got no NBA team. (and some might say a triple A baseball team) Say the Steelers had 5 straight Playoff seasons but didn't make it to the show. I agree the regular season would be a blast but in the end we'd be pissed off. A Championship you can put in your pocket and always boast about it. At this point I'll take that Championship and some bad seasons to follow.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Is it sustainable?

We are about to find out

HACK

12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Amen! Here in San Diego, the only championships have come from indoor soccer (is that really a sport?) and semi-pro hockey.
    Oh, I believe there were some NBA titles, but only after the Rockets moved to Houston....

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I think the window is narrow either way. After signing Kupp they are projected at being 33 plus million over the cap next year. I know money can be moved so next year is just that. A few years ago the Steelers were in cap hell..good O but their D was insufficient. I'm not saying one way is better than the other, I think you build and hope you catch fire in that short window of opportunity. I'm with you though in one aspect. The Rams went to a SB and felt they were not going to get back with that Qb. The gambled and it paid off. I believe if you feel you are at that place, then getting those few players (even at a high cost) is worth it.