1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

A trade that makes a lot of sense to me...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, Apr 12, 2012.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm a member of ESPN Insider and I read yesterday that the Cowboys are looking to possible ship Felix Jones out of town. They are happy with DeMarco Murray as their feature back and are rumored to really like Boise St running back Doug Martin (in the 2nd). There's talk if they get him they could deal Jones during the draft, or possibly even cut him.

Keith Rivers went for a 5th to the Giants. I see Felix as a similar guy in that he's shown flashes but had some injuries and become the odd man out... So the price (to me) seems like a 5th or maybe even a 6th would get it done. We have 10 picks right now so we're going to deal some of them for sure.

Jones is nice because he can do it all but he won't be able to take a pounding as a #1 RB for a full season. I think he and Redman could complement each other very well and Jones is good enough to start in a pinch if needed. He's on my keeper fantasy team, so he's a guy I've paid close attention to. Going into last season a lot of people said it would be a breakout year, and he had a bad break when he got hurt and Murray went insane.

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I wish I could be as objective as you are STEEL! My hatred of the cowgirls makes me blind to any potential of any of their players besides Jason Witten. I'm always like "oh the only thing that comes from texas are steers and... ya know..." But honestly I have seen some potential in him too. Wasn't he Jerry Jones's guy for a little bit? My dad is a girls fan and he really likes him. But with all the backs we have wouldn't we HAVE to get rid of one of them to make room for him? If we could minimize the pain to get him I guess I wouldn't object. But still I hate the cowboys. Just needed to say that.

3. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    Haha. You are correct about him being "Jerry's guy," he was a Razorback so they took him 1 pick ahead of us when we took Mendenhall. I was so happy that Jerry would be so stupid to take an inferior player just because he went to the same school as you.

You are right about us probably having to get rid of one. Personally, I see Dwyer and Clay being practically the same player, and I don't really see a reason to have both on the roster. Both have looked okay when they've had the ball but I'd be fine with letting either one go.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think the Cowboys would probably want more than a 5th. But I quite like Felix Jones as a player, and agree he would do well here.

BUT he would have to be showing something that our existing corps don't for the FO to make a move like that. You're also presuming that Mendy isn't coming back - I know that's kind of your preference, but it hasn't happened yet.

5. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    I think they'd take a 5th considering they're talking about just cutting him completely.

6. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Right now, the only trades I am thinking about are moving up trades.

Our 4th and 6th for a 3rd.

Our 5th and 7th for a 4th.

That would give us: 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 7, 7, 7

I think that gives us 5 guys who are higher end talent and still gives us an 8 member draft class.

I then go:

Hightower
    OG
    OT
    Chapman
    BPA at need position, I was thinking McNutt, but with Cotchery resigning, I am leaning more toward OG or S.

7. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    You have to look at the trade value chart. Our 4th and 6th together wouldn't move us up more than 8 spots in the 4th, and our 5th and 7th together would only move us up 11 spots in the 5th. All of our remaining draft picks together wouldn't be enough to move that 4th into a third.

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Wow Rivers got traded, he was considered one of the best in his draft class coming out? Never got back on track after getting his bell rung by Hines I guess ?

9. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
  10. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Hey Steel I just looked on NFL.COM and they have an article saying that the boys have not even "discussed" the idea of trading Jones. So I guess we will just have to see.

11. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Not only are the cowgirls denying any trade rumors but I've never heard of a team trading away draft picks for a guy rumored to be getting cut.

You don't waste picks on a player if he's gonna be free shortly.

Cajun-

12. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    First off the fact that they're denying it means nothing. Of course they're denying it.

And you hear about "trade or cut" type guys all the time. If we don't make on offer someone else probably will. We've got the extra picks and a 5th or later is a good deal.

13. mort159

mort159 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I like a 3rd or 4th for Vilma, especially if we dont draft one in the first round. I think when he played for the Jets they were a 3-4, regardless i think he is a very solid LB and can be had for trade now that the Saints signed both Hawthorne and Lofton.

We really need a LB. I think Foote starting this year will end up being a very weak link.

14. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    Vilma has been terrible lately. He's regressed big time.

15. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Plus Vilma may be facing discipline for Bountygate. Apparently he offered $10k to knock Favre out of the playoff game a few years ago.

16. mort159

mort159 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Lets see what happens as far as Vilma's suspension. I bet he gets 4 games. As for him being terrible lately. I guarentee he would be much better than Foote in our defense. He had nothing around him with the Saints.

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The Jets parted ways with Vilma because his play fell off drastically when they shifted to a 3-4. He needs to have 2 DTs in front of him, and freedom to be a sideline to sideline MLB.