1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

A review of every defender

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jul 22, 2018.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    How many sacks did Heyward get on Bortles back in January? Unlike Smith/Keisel... Heyward disappears in playoff games. Smith/Keisel did their boring workmanlike jobs, even if it was just filling gaps.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    So now we can make an overall evaluation of a player from a single playoff game? A DE no less? Using that barometer, we could find playoff games where Reggie White, Bruce Smith and Mike Strahan all suck.

3. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Please dont mention Heyward in the same comment with any of those guys. He couldn't hold their jock strap. First off hes had 1 sack in FIVE playoff games thus far.. Heyward had majority of his good games against teams like Houston, green bay without Rodgers, Cleveland with no qb, tennessee, etc... not the elite teams though he did get 1 sack against ne but it was a coverage sack. Hes overrated. Hes not some dominant dline men like Aaron Donald or someone of that caliber.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    kiesel big snack smith, those dudes formed a wall that could not be penetrated. Ravens emulated this when they got Ngata. I remember it was tough to run on them for years. Now its like Tuitt and Heyward look at each other and smile like kids while they are skating backwards lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We are going for this fast athletic hybrid defense but so far it's just showing confused weak players that are getting bullied by the big boys.

False sense of confidence from those QB less teams lol.

I am patient... let's see what Buttler has in store. If the defense can work as 1 unit maybe just maybe they can do something

6. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Traditional 5-techniques didn't just fill gaps. They were asked to control 2 gaps, absorb double teams, and provide outside contain. It was for decades a thankless and essentially stat-less position.

Aarron Smith did all the things above and managed to accumulate some years of 7-9 sacks. He was maybe the best 5-tech of all time and Kiesel wasn't far behind.

I really like Cam and Tuitt and I'm excited at the prospect of having them both 100% healthy for a season, but they have a loooong way to go to be in the same conversation with Smith and Kiesel. Nobody could run on the Steelers back then. I think they had a stretch of 100+ games in a row where no RB had a 100-yard game against them.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That's like saying nobody has been Joe Greene like so they all suck. Or no LB is as good as Jack Lambert so they are no good. Or Chuck Noll didn't lose a SB so cowher and MT stink, oh wait I'll go along with that one.:smiley1::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think if evaluated properly and players are put into a position to succeed, our defense

will be much better this year. Coaches need to change the mind set of these players.

Let's get back to an attacking , hard hitting team and see how the chips fall. We need

turnovers. And our offense MUST score touchdowns in REDZONE situations.. Less field goals

and more touchdowns. Time of possession is huge also.

9. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017

Ummm, yea, Hampton mighta had a tad something to do with that. Cam and Tuitt never had the luxury of playing with a legit top talent NT.

10. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Did Texans' JJ Watt have a Hampton-caliber NT when he was destroying offenses from 2012-2015? Nope.

Whatever you say man. I'm usually in agreement with you on most things relating to the Steelers. You are wrong on this. Heyward and Tuitt blow chunks compared to some of the Steelers past DEs. I'm rooting for these guys to succeed... but so far they have both been disappointments. Tuitt with injuries... Heyward in big games vs. NFL teams not from Cleveland.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  11. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    LMAO. So you mention the best DLman in the entire NFL, as if you if you aren't as good as Donald, it means you are dog crap. Donald is perhaps the best DEFENDER in the NFL, and if our ends aren't that good, they must surely suck @ss.

12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He isnt better than alot of the top dlinemen like JJ watt, Chandler jones, fletcher fox, Brandon Graham, michael bennett, everson griffen and I clearly said or SOMEONE OF THAT CALIBER. Hes a good player but highly overrated.

13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Lol facts. I was just about to say JJ watt.

14. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    For a 1st and a 2nd rounder at DE.. Steelers need better production. I thought Steelers should've started drafting for 4-3 base after losing XLV. Rodgers, Brees and Brady will continue to eat this D alive.

15. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Really? So Cam and Tuitt have been worse than a guy who hasn't even payed in 2 years? And prior to that, JJ was better than EVERY DE in the NFL. So they stink if they weren't better than the best? OK, there.

Chandler jones,

AZ plays a 4-3. No where near apples to apples comparison. You DO understand that, right?

fletcher fox,

I think you mean Fletcher COX and he had 26 tackles and 5.5 sacks last year, compared to Cam's 45 tkles and 12 sacks. But Cox is better? OK, hits from the bong.

Brandon Graham,

Plays DE in a 4-3 and STILL didn't out produce Cam

michael bennett,

4-3

everson griffen

4-3

Your assessment is officially hits from the bong.

16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Chandler jones was a great when he played the 3-4 in ne. You keep bringing up cam's regular stats when they were all against GARBAGE TEAMS. You could go out there and get 2 SACKS vs the browns from last. Bennett's playoff stats speak for there self. Brandon Graham actually showed up in the playoffs and made the biggest play of the season for philly. Something cam has yet to do and probably never will. Please stop. I like tuitt I didnt say anything bad about him. When healthy hes better than cam.