1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

A Reliable Safety Net: The Case For Malik Hooker

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, May 4, 2020.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Hmmm...

Having Sutton as the "DIME" is counter productive as Sutton has never played such a role at Tennessee and never mind the NFL. Terrell was drafted for that purpose. The major reason Terrell was pressed into action was because of Morgan Burnett's injury. Had that not happened, who knows how well Terrell would have played in year two. For that matter, who knows if Pittsburgh wins the "Minkah Sweepstakes". Given the fact that Terrell Edmunds has not showcased enough ball skills nor impact capabilities thus far, acquiring Minkah was a forgone conclusion in my book. Had the team not acquired Minkah, Pittsburgh is likely looking at a top 5 draft selection. Regarding Antonie Brooks Jr., realistically, this could be yet another indication that the Steelers are readying up for Terrell's departure.

As stated before, Article VII alone will see to that. No team has kept multiple First Round picks since Article VII. Pittsburgh is not likely going to shatter this mold either as the updated form allocates that First Round picks on Rookie Contracts in 2018 and beyond not only have their fifth years guaranteed but also is based on their first three years of performance. Assuming Minkah can become a First Team All Pro again, Terrell is the odd man out; Antonie Brooks Jr being the contingency plan whether or not Terrell performs well. For that matter, life after Terrell started the moment the team traded for Minkah as Minkah was more than just Sean Davis' replacement despite popular opinion.

Regarding the Offensive Line, as stated before, Matt Feiler is the key here. Assuming either Chuks or Zach show enough for Matt Feiler to be kicked inside, that will determine what the team will do moving forward. Whomever emerges as that starting Right Tackle will likely either stay there or be kicked to the Left in 2021. If the former option is considered, then the swing tackle becomes either the starting Left or Right Tackle depending on the situation at hand.

Of course, building the Offensive Line will be determined based on the development of Mason Rudolph. If Mason does pan out, I would rather the team acquire a Center as Pouncey will also need a successor. If Mason is not the answer, that issue will be compounded come the 2021 NFL Draft. I honestly hope that Mason is personally as that alleviates a tremendous level of personnel management the team will have to soldier on with.

2. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Watt, Heyward, Feiler, Chuks and/or Zach, JuJu, Conner and Dupree. Of the aforementioned, four of the eight mentioned have contingency plans behind them; three assuming both Chuks and Zach return together. The other three are essentially locks; Watt, Heyward and Feiler if accounting for him being moved inside. If not, things could get dicey.

Regarding those not listed, said players will price themselves out all together. Bud and JuJu will command top dollar due to the virtue of their positions. Matt Feiler is the wild card here as where he ends up in 2020 will determine his market value in 2021. Other players such as Mike Hilton, Cameron Sutton, Alejandro Villenueva, and possibly Joe Haden were not considered due to available players already in place to supplant them, virtue of the classical numbers game and/or age itself.

That still leaves the team four players to sign off on; Mason also assuming he is still the guy. If that is the case, set up Mason the same way Big Ben was earlier in his career; elite defense with a good offense. Let Mason continue onward from there. Acquiring Malik Hooker is a great first step upon doing so.

As stated before, Terrell's days were already numbered thanks in part to Minkah. This has now been further double downed on with the selection of Antonie Brooks Jr. Terrell is in a lose lose situation no matter how any of us look at it. I wish it did not come to this but Terrell has himself and only himself to blame for it. Two thousand plus snaps and only one turnover to show for it?!

Not good enough.

3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think when referring to the dime we may be talking about different roles. When I say they may keep Sutton as the dime what I mean is that he continues the roles he has been doing for several seasons, ie the sixth DB in obvious passing situations.

In relation to Terrell moving to the dime I presume you mean he would take up the hybrid safety/ linebacker ‘do it all’ role closer to the box? If so, I agree, it’s an important role that I think he could excel at in time. They have him under control for three more seasons on a cost controlled deal. Plenty of time to turn things around but I do agree with you that the cap may cause an issue when they need to pay Minkah too. Even if (or especially if) Terrell reaches Pro bowl / all pro level It will be hard to keep both. It hasn’t been good to date but personally I am rooting for the guy.

4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Ah... I see. If you are referring to Sutton as a member of the dime package, that is different. If anything, of the two, Sutton is a superior option than Hilton due to his coverage skills. That said, whomever prices them self more will be critical.

I am also rooting for Terrell albeit my patience has worn very thin. If anything, while most panned the pick back on April 26th of 2018, I had written a statement just weeks ago that Terrell Edmunds could potentially come up as a wild card for the team. Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports concluded the same aspect indirectly as well. Jeremy Fowler that day tweeted that some saw Terrell as a Top 15 talent. As I stated before, who knows how Terrell Edmunds would have looked had Morgan Burnett played a full season. That aspect does befall on both Tomlin and Colbert for overlooking Burnett's injury history. Despite that, I was excited about Terrell's jump from year one to year two. Sadly, that did not happen.

Again, over 2000 snaps and only one interception is a major concern. However, as a Strong Safety, I expected him to make a bigger jump in the department of Forced Fumbles. Again, I did not see any of that in 2019. In short?! Turnovers are a big aspect that separate even decent Safeties from good ones. Part of the reason as to why even good safeties can make turnovers is because of two aspects; ball skills and instincts. So far, Terrell has shown neither in terms of development.

However, that is not the major issue here. The issue is cap space in addition with the revision of the CBA regarding First Round picks from 2018 to the present. All Rookies from that period not only get payment based on performance of their first three years but also said payment is fully guaranteed. As such, assuming both Terrell and Minkah have All Pro seasons, of the two, Minkah wins out due to the virtue of his higher cap hit due to his higher draft stock. Remember Minkah is a Top 15 player. Terrell is not. The percentage of payment within the performance aspect via the new CBA is tied into that players draft position.

No other team has kept multiple First Round picks since Article VII back in 2011. With the updated variant, it is next to impossible that teams will; Miami included. As much as I hate to say it, this is it for Terrell. Minkah Fitzpatrick was the final nail in Terrell's Steelers Story.

I wish him nothing but the best. I will, however, enjoy his remaining time here. What is important though is finding a running mate to go with Minkah. Malik is that and more.

Now, the difference between Hooker and Burnett is age. Hooker will only be 25 by the time next season rolls around. Still very much a young player who is approaching his prime.

• Like Like x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers aren't going to acquire Hooker, he will be a free agent and will get offers the Steelers can't match. He can't even stay healthy, probably why the Colts didn't pick up his 5th year option.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

We cannot say that for certain. Who is going to be Minakh's running mate by the time his rookie contract expires?! For that matter, who is to say Pittsburgh will not make tough decisions in 2021 before Free Agency?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I’m pissed that cowboys are about to get Jamal lol Steelers are broke

8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Idk, he will probably want out of Dallas when some db is making more than him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I’ve looked at Dallas Cap situation and I must say it would be difficult to fit Adams in but they did apparently call about him last season and he is a player they could really use, and being a Texas native it’s really a perfect fit.

In fairness to Dallas they have been drafting well and have had to pay a lot of their own guys. I’m not convinced by their secondary but they’ve put together a nice roster. It resembles the Steelers 2014-17/18 with a powerful offence, good defensive front but bad secondary. That Steelers team was probably better though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Jamal is great but to say he is the second coming of a player like Troy Polamalu is a bit of a statement by the Cowboys if they believe he is. Keep in mind that, in Troy's first three seasons, he had amassed seven total Interceptions, six Sacks, three Forced Fumbles and two total Defensive Touchdowns. By comparison, Jamal Adams has racked up two total Interceptions, 12 Sacks, six Forced Fumbles and one Defensive Touchdown. Again, stats are not everything as it is not just unfair to compare the play styles of the two but also their Defensive Coordinators as well. One aspect that does remain common with all great Safeties in NFL History though is their ability to dictate the game on their terms by making impact plays both on the ground and in the air.

Troy had this ability in spades. Jamal has only half of the equation. In today's NFL, a Single High, Deep Center Fielding, multi role Safety is essential. Of the two, Troy would possess a greater degree to perform and operate at this level than Jamal would given Jamal's coverage limitations in man coverage. For that matter, Jamal is best suited to Deep Half Zones, Hook Zones and Spot Zones are his best friend. Playing him in the Deep Middle is asking for trouble.

In short?! Troy was transcendent as he broke the conventional rules of what constitutes as the main role of what is a Strong Safety. Jamal Adams is an evolution of the traditional Strong Safety role but is still best suited towards being the eighth man in the box. As such, this limits his overall effectiveness as a play making Safety; yet another reason I want Malik Hooker on this team. The great ones are remembered not just because their ability to change the game in an instant but also to add another dimension to their defense in ways that said defense did not have before; all the more reason I truly believe Minkah Fitzpatrick is next in line to become the most dominant Safety in the NFL. For Jamal Adams, no doubt he has made the New York Jets defense better. However, has he made them a Top Five Unit?! No.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Those Steelers from 2014-2017 were leagues better than what the Dallas Cowboys are now. How so?! Big Ben in those days will far surpass anything Dak Prescott will hope to be.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    If we were to do a comparison

Ben > Dak
    Bell > Elliot
    Ab. > Cooper x 10

The make up of the teams and their broad strengths are similar but I do agree that Steelers team was just better. They always seemed to be missing one or both of AB / Bell going in to playoff games which is unfortunate, and one of the reasons they never made a SuperBowl despite having the best roster in the league.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Both teams have been underachieving lately lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They can a cheap rookie to replace Edmunds, not some high priced free agent.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

A rookie who will be waiting who knows how long to play. That is not feasible at all. Again, 2021 is likely it for Big Ben.

Load up with every available resource. For that matter, Pittsburgh has already showed they are willing via Minkah Fitzpatrick; not trading a 1st Round Pick since 1967 at that. No reason to assume someone like Malik is on Mike Tomlins radar.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Looking at the thread title again... how exactly is a guy with Hooker’s injury history a “reliable safety net?” Shouldn’t the title be “Potential lottery ticket signing, Malik Hooker?”

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

The title is such due to the fact that the team lacks a fail safe for Minkah. Cameron Sutton and/or Mike Hilton have little to no experience playing Free Safety in the NFL. In addition, despite his injury, Malik's talent is unquestioned.

Who else is playing the Single High, Deep Center Fielder role?! Terrell Edmunds?! Embarking on such would involve in some of the egrigous results in not just Steelers History but NFL History. Never mind Terrell being the fail safe if that is the case though. Terrell Edmunds is not going to be a Steeler come 2023. Minkah's acquisition saw to that. If not Minkah, Antonie Brooks Jr. Sealed it.

Acquiring a Safety come the 2021 accomplishes nothing for the remaining time Big Ben has. Malik Hooker is a proven commodity who can make plays on the ball. Acquire the proven commodity to give Big Ben one final push should 2020 not be the year to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
  19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Drafting a hybrid S/LB in the 6th round sealed the former 1st rounder’s fate? Are you basing that on the ultra high success rate of 6th round picks in the NFL?

20. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    And still never won squat

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    That’s true. To be fair they were most unfortunate with injuries at critical times, eg heading in to Denver in 2015 without Bell and AB and still nearly pulling it off, having to go to Gillette the year after and losing Bell early when he had been tearing up the playoffs that year. The debacle with the Blake Bortles led Jags the following year was bad, allowing Leonard Fournette gash them up the middle time and again. That was the year Shazier went down with that horrible injury. Every team deals with injuries of course but to win a SuperBowl you need your stars on the field during the postseason and they didn’t always have that unfortunately.

It may be some time before they assemble a team with that kind of talent again.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Nope.

Basing this on the fact that the team is not paying for two First Round players of the same draft class. There was more to the Minkah trade than just merely finding a replacement for Sean Davis. Terrell had shown little to no improvement in pass coverage to that point. Something had to be done.

Antonie has already been on record in stating they are telling him to focus on being solely a safety. Considering this is the plan, given Antonie's four year deal, the natural inclination is that the team expects more from him than just being depth.

24. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Edmunds can price himself out of our range if the light goes on for him, but if he ends up simply being an adequate starter he may end up getting a modest second contract. I do agree that he’s not in line for a big contract with us. That would be unlikely.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I agree with the overall premise of him pricing himself out. However, one aspect is getting ignored though still. By no means a slight to you but an overall misunderstanding of the principles of Free Agency.

Free agency has never been about being good. Free agency has always been about being free. How much a team is willing to spend on a player will depend on how bad they need said position. For example, Byron Jones is a good corner.

Does Byron Jones deserve to be paid as the best corner though with the highest pay among all corners?! No. However, did teams need his services?! Absolutely.