1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

A Poll about Gilbert.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Feb 21, 2012.

1. He will dominate.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. He will be avg.

15.4%
  3. He will struggle.

61.5%
  4. He will fail and moved back to RT....

23.1%
  1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    According to our GM Gilbert will be moving to LT. I'm on record as believeing his feet are too slow and he will struggle if not fail on the left side. I really hope the coaches can help him and prove me wrong but in the mean time how does Steeler Nation feel about this move.

Cajun-

2. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I haven't a clue about how he played on the right side. But I can only imagine that if they want to move him over it's because he is capable. I voted average

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I voted average. But hell, if you get an average left tackle with the 55th pick in the draft, you done good.

4. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I would say, "He will struggle for awhile," whether that's part or all of his first year there. I think that's natural. But he's still our best option out of everyone on the roster. But since that's not an option in the poll, I picked average.

Also, if he does fail, I think it's more likely he'll be moved to guard (either side) instead of RT. He has more experience and is more willing to play OG than Colon, and the team likes Colon where he is anyway. And if the reason he fails is that he's too slow, all the more reason to move him to guard.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He was owned By Jabaal Sheard a 2nd round draft choice out of Pitt.
    Go Pitt.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if we get guards in the draft that become starters and gilbert has to move to guard, i'd have to say he becomes another bust O-lineman. i think he will struggle but we have nothing in place to do anything about it. we will be hashing this out agian next year. what will it mean for him to be considered struggling? 5,10,15 sacks? hasen't that become the norm around here for the last 5 years? i hope he does well, but i see him as max starks 2. :cool:

7. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    For the most part top tier linemen go early in the draft, but with our success in last decade we have consistently picked at the bottom of the pile. In order for us to get good we have to make moves to trade up or brak from tradition and go into free agency or a trade deal. Or get very lucky.

Simple as that...

8. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    :this!:

9. tbrucemom

tbrucemom Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    I voted he would struggle because he struggled at RT. Then again, maybe the LT spot will work for him. All I know is it seems like so many times when the opponent's D got to Ben it was because he missed his guy. It also seems like he got a lot of penalties too...

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Unless he makes tremendous strides, and gets quicker He Stinks.

11. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I voted average I have to see more out of him to say dominate

12. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I voted average also. I'm looking forward to learning how he grades out with you, snack.

13. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    After only two games, pretty good. Far from perfect, but better than many of our other linemen. He'll play very well for a long stretch of time, and then make a stupid mistake. Good run blocker. Overall, he was a rookie, so I don't understand the people complaining about him at all. I hope he can hang at LT, but if not he'll make a good guard. His only real weakness seems to be speed rushers, and he really wouldn't have to worry about that so much inside.

14. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I gotta say I'm somewhat surprised. 10 out of 72 thinks he will dominate. Only one thinks he will be moved back to RT ala Michael Oher.

Cajun-

15. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    The fact that we already have a RT is the whole reason he's going to LT. He was not drafted to play RT because we already had one, and that guy's still here. Meanwhile, we have at least one hole at guard and Gilbert says he can and will play either guard if needed, and our current RT Colon does not want to, and the team does not want to move him there. Also, if Gilbert does indeed struggle at LT, it stands to reason that it will be because of how he functions in space and with speed rushers, not because of power, and a shift to guard would make perfect sense.

Have you considered a shift to guard? How come you're so set on him going back to RT? Are you already assuming Colon gets injured or cut?

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Glad he is willing to play Guard if needed.....I have seen guys who are just quicker and more nimble when they drop step left.......I hope Gilbert is such a guy and can strenghten the LT position........

17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i'm me the only one , i just think gilbert can't play on the left and he is better than colon at right so would be nice to play colon at rg and draft or sign a real left tackle

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I was hoping something happens where Gilbert becomes a guard and we stick with Starks and Colon as our two tackles... Starks only just turned 30,O-linemen can play for a long time. And say what you will, a healthy Starks and Colon are good enough to win a SB. I think pressure up the middle is what is really killing us. we need guards.

Starks is such a whipping boy on this board I'm sure I will be flamed, but it is an ideal situation because then we only need to find maybe one new guard instead of two.

19. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Lots of fans, maybe most fans, feel that Colon would be a better guard than tackle. The Steelers don't seem to be in that boat, and neither is Colon. I'd be okay with drafting a true LT and moving Gilbert to guard, but at #24 that doesn't seem likely.

20. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Snack, I'm not set on moving him back to RT.As a rookie last year I gave him an avg grade at RT. Give him some experience there and I believe he might have a chance to be a dominate RT. LT is a different beast and I'm afraid he's just too slow. He's big,tall, strong enough, has long enough arms to play LT so IF, and I mean IF, he trains correctly with the right coaching and is a hard enough worker MAYBE he can overcome his greatest flaw and become our starting LT. I'm really really praying he does because its what we need, I'm just apprehesive he can do it. No, I have not considered moving him to OG, maybe because we have enough failed OTs moved to OG but hey, if he can do it and be great at it then okay, any Great play across the line is a good thing.

Da Stellars, I doubt Starks comes back before mid season if then. He torn his ACL in our playoff loss and that's about a year long healing process for someone that big and heavy who needs strenght and lateral quickness in his legs.

Cajun-