1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

A Plan for Edmunds

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dexter402, Jan 12, 2020.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Does it matter he sucks at safety..........

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    True lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I really think he needs coached up, this will be my final year
    for him. If he doesn't show significant improvement he would be history
    if I am running the team.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    they do not have the money to spend on a "step in and be ready" SS FA. So if Edmunds moves it will depend on their comfort level with who is picked in the draft if they even get one. And they didn't even want Edmunds to start as a 1st round pick. Don't think much happens this upcoming season and TE is still at SS. Dude is still very young and they can use substitution (Sutton, Hilton, etc) as a crutch until the final answer is available. In other words, I think he makes the transition in 2021 if at all.

I'm not a Edmunds fan btw, just don't think they have or can afford other options.

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Before I begin what I have to say, let me preface this by stating that I do not speak out of animosity but out of disappointment.

Now and, I repeat, I still would love nothing but Terrell to succeed in Year Three. My issue is not the position he plays; a position that has not been known for Ball Hawking up until now. My issue stems from Terrell's lack of Football IQ in coverage; deep and man coverage namely.

When it comes to run support and short to intermediate range zone coverage, Terrell Edmunds can definitely hold his own with some of the best Strong Safeties in the game (yes I said that). However, what separates Terrell Edmunds from say, Derwin James, is to understand and identify the opposing receivers routes in addition to their offensive formations. From there, players like Derwin James can then simply act and react without having to think about it too much. Then and only then do they allow their physical gifts to take over as the processing element is complete.

Nevermind Terrell's overall inexperience playing the Strong Safety position; heading into year four. The mental side of the game has yet to catch up. It is fair to say if it ever will at this point due to the lack of impact he has made thus far sans one interception.

I understand that takeaways from a position like Safety, especially Strong Safety, are very toxic as those figures ususally have a lot to do with a number of outside factors. That said, when those moments do present themselves, players like Jamal Adams and Derwin James take full advantage of it. Terrell does not?!

Evidence?! Check back to the Week 14 Contest against the Arizona Cardinals. Kyler Murray underthrown the ball to David Johnson and the oppurtunity was there for the taking. Terrell misjudged it and that game should have not been that close as a result.

Not convinced?! How about Terrell Edmunds getting burned by Tyler Boyd in Week 12. Again, Terrell attempted to jam Tyler Boyd on the post route Tyler was running in the slot. Terrell has to understand that, if you miss on that jam, nevermind Tyler Boyd but ANY receiver will make you pay for it. This grave error forced Terrell to hold Tyler through the route; a penalty was called soon thereafter.

Biggest one yet?! The Week 3 matchup against Seattle where Terrell is literally preventing Tyler Lockett from making the catch. Again though, this is due to poor technique from Terrell Edmunds.

Overall, I REALLY hope Terrell can turn it around in his third year in the NFL. I do. There just is not enough evidence currently to support it as of now.

Final Notes:

Before I receieve replies stating that I am being too critical, I was among the few members on the board who backed the selection of him in 2018. There were Numerous debates that I had with other members of the board shortly after the selection and heading into 2019. I really thought that during the tune up game against Tennessee this preseason, Terrell was finally coming into his own.

Instead, Terrell made me into a liar. Yes, he did eclipse triple digit figures total for tackles and that is definitely note worthy. My issue is not the volume of tackles. My issue is the lack of splash from those tackles; forced fumbles if you will.

Before I end these final notes of mine, I depart those that read this with something that caught my eye shortly after the trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick. Tomlin specifically stated that there was not enough consistency with the play of the Safeties after the events against Seattle and the trade for Minkah was necessary. This tells me that Tomlin is running out of paitence with Terrell Edmunds despite the initial reason for Minkah being here was the season ending injury to Sean Davis.

Here in lies the kicker; both Terrell Edmunds and Minkah Fitzpatrick are from the same class. No NFL Team has kept more than one First Round Pick since the Article 7 of the CBA was instituted back in 2011. What does this mean exactly?!

I do believe, within all my Canadian Heart and Soul, that Minkah Fitzpatrick was more than merely just a piece that galvanized the team to soldier on for the remainder of the 2019 campaign in addition to being the long term solution. Minkah, to me, as the failsafe should Terrell not progress in Year Three but not so much because of them being in the same class as Minkah was unavailable to Pittsburgh at the time. There in lies a much bigger reason.

Minkah is the failsafe because, as it stands, there is currently no other option to supplant Terrell Edmunds. Unless somehow, someway, Marcus Allen showcases serious improvement, Terrell is likely the starter until his final year of his contract. That being said, assuming Terrell underperforms yet again in 2020, don't be surprised to see the Steelers be on the lookout for a Strong Safety in the 2021 Draft.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I got a plan for Edmunds it’s called the Artie Burns Bust Exit Tour. Guy is a bum. Can’t cover and can’t tackle. So I ask what can he do???

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It won't happen because this coaching staff has no imagination or creativity. This would be like ... playing to a players strength or putting them in a position to exceed. Kick the tires sometimes. This is why ... I thought we had mini camps/ and mini mini camps/ and spring workouts/and training camp and preseason?

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I would not say he cannot tackle. Unlike Interceptions, tackles are very cut and dry to analyze. Terrell was second on the team in tackles with 105 to credit; up from 27 from his rookie season.

His issue is still man covergae and covering his deep half in zone. That was supposed to be mitigated enterting his sophomore campaign. That did not happen.

Overall though, I agree with you regarding Terrell's coverage abilities from the finite points. Has not shown any improvement. That has to change.

9. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I would like to see his missed tackle numbers as well. When you are constantly chasing guys from behind or the last line of defense on a run play you can pile up some garbage stats

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Here they are!!

Terrell Edmunds: 15 Missed Tackles on the Season. Out of the 105 Total on the season, this equates to a whiff rate of 12.5%.

11. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think AQL's perception of Edmunds is 100% spot on. The guy can make plays at the LOS when he sees and can react to what is in front of him. That is where his physical gifts shine but at the NFL level there has to be more than just having the physical gifts to play. The safety spot is a big part of the defense and when that play is poor the defense will suffer tremendously. All one needs to do is look at what happened by the time Fitzpatrick had 3 games in with the team, the defense did a complete 180 and was no longer the weak link.

It took just 1 player, and it was because that player understands the defensive concept. That is the major issue with Edmunds and football I.Q. is one thing, natural instinct is another. Edmunds can improve the football I.Q. by learning tendencies of other teams by spending a lot of time in film study. That will at least help as he will be in better position to make plays on the ball.

He wasn't responsible for any turnovers this season because he is out of position a lot. That is part football I.Q. and lack of instinct and that is the major problem. We all know is ball skills are poor but even so, he can break up plays simply by being in position. I call his problem "ABS" which is "Artie Burns Syndrome", when he doesn't understand what the offense is trying to do he guesses.

It is when they are in a zone coverage scheme, he ends up on the opposite side of the field where the play is taking place. It happens too often and I believe what is going on is that he is guessing where he thinks the play is going to happen. He can cover a TE or RB as long as it stays in front of him, he cannot play a trail technique at all. I hold out hope he can at least learn a little more but the addition of Fitzpatrick didn't help Edmunds like I thought it would. Instead it just magnifies Edmunds inability at the position. I want him to succeed as the defense will be even better but I fear he will end up in Burns territory and be looked at as just another reach in the 1st round that didn't pan out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    He’s a bust unfortunately

Just calling it like we all know it’s gonna be lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey AskQuestionsLater.

I have come to the answer to our drafting and developing secondary personnel. At least with the current Management in place. Here it is. Do what we did with Fitzpatrick, Nelson and Haden. That is let other teams draft/develop these guys and then go make a deal with them. Sound crazy? No! Sounds pathetic? Yes! Sound like a solution? Again, Yes.

This current regime has fallen flat on their faces time after time in drafting and trying to develop CBs and Safeties. They honestly, and plainly, suck at it. And this is suppose to be Tomlin's area of expertise. What a joke! I know Tomlin is not to completely blame as I stated Management. However, you would think with his background in this area, he would carry some weight on these decisions and have a "decent eye" for the draft selections for these two positions. Our team's track record for drafting at these positions once he was hired is totally "Disgusting".

Anyone who wants to counter-dispute with me, think real hard over the last twelve years of one Cornerback or Safety that this Administration has drafted and developed. Is that crickets I hear? Yeah, I thought so. Once again, let some other team do the work for us in this area. Up to this point, Edmunds looks like one more "bust" we can add to the list. Really sad!

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Accurate take. @AskQuestionsLater and myself are in the same camp when it comes to TE,his strengths,weaknesses and even the idea of moving him to a hybrid SS/LB role. Even if I do say it in a few less words....lol.
    Another alarming aspect of his play at SS is even in spite of his gaudy tackle numbers I’m pretty sure he managed to attain zeros across the board on INTs. PDs and FFs. That’s pretty hard to do. That tells me like you said he has too much trouble dissecting defenses to play fast and loose. With his athleticism he should be more of a playmaker. That means most of his issues are upstairs and not having great natural instincts limits his play making even more.
    Do I think he can improve in those areas? I do. At the same time they have to do a better job scheming for his strengths and weaknesses. Like you said if he has to turn and run....it’s trouble. The more they can keep him attacking downhill and sideline to sideline the more we will get out of his natural talent.

15. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Agree and disagree...He MAY
    Agree and disagree....He may sign elsewhere but, I don't see it being big money...His resume, even though better than Edmunds, Is not strong enough

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah it’s tough to get 0s across the board in those categories especially with that many tackles

17. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    This defense is actually still a work in progress. Flashy stats last seaaon, but still holes to fill. One of the interesting things about Minkah is how quickly and seemlessly he fit, and produced, in our system. With that said, this defense actually hasn't been developed with Minkah as an anchor. He just showed up and contributed to what was there.

Money will always dictate the end product and additions/subtractions will happen regardless of want or need. So there will be some unfortnate changes to this defense.

But for the most part, we have a defense that can grow together and get better together, and that includes Edmunds. If we can get an upgrade at NT, not lose production opposite TJ, and just get competitive play out of our secondary not named Minkah or Haden, our defense can be special next season.

Unfortunately, a lot of that is on coaching. And this might come as a shock, but I think our coaching staff has been underperforming more than sucking. I actually think that Tomlin and Co. have the ability to coach better than what they have shown. It is just going to take a willingness to change and a course or two at the learning annex. And luck. Lots of luck.

18. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I have nothing to back this up with nor am I going to bother doing research on Edmunds. He sucks. He cannot cover and is constantly out of position nor does he seem to know his field responsibilities on any given defense. He is completely unable to make a play on the ball when the ball is in the air. It still hurts to remember the steelers calling his name in the 1st round of the draft. my plan for edmunds is to simply let hm fade away and one day he will be gone. Move him to linebacker if you want won't make a difference. Most of this is predicated on my disbelief that the steelers took him in the 1st round. i get that. But as usual the steelers have zero cap money to spend on a good replacement. so i suppose we're stuck.

19. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Terrell Edmunds isn't the weak link in the Steelers secondary, but he might be the missing link

Recent PFF analytics seem to suggest that S Terrell Edmunds was the weak link in the Pittsburgh Steelers secondary last season, but his continued growth may just be the missing link for the defense next season.

By Shannon White Jan 17, 2020

Mathematics was always my favorite subject in school, because it wasn't reliant on theory or conjecture. Mathematics deal with absolutes; there is a correct answer for each problem. While it is true that numbers don't lie, statistics can be misleading. There is often more to the story than meets the eye. One such example would be Pittsburgh Steelers safety Terrell Edmunds.

A recent analytical breakdown of the Steelers secondary last season showed that opposing QBs achieved their highest QBR against the Steelers pass coverage when targeting Edmunds coverage responsibilities. I believe the parameters are set as whenever a defender is within three yards of a targeted receiver, but there may be additional criteria that I am not aware of. Regardless, this can be a misleading statistic.

Any completed pass is considered a positive result for the QBR, but that is only part of the story. Many opposing QBs were forced to quickly dump the ball off to a TE or RB in the flat to avoid the sack against the Steelers ferocious, league leading pass rush. I will give you two guesses which Steelers defender was responsible in coverage on these outlet receivers and relied on to limit the damage on such receptions. The majority of the time it was none other than Terrell Edmunds, and he performed admirably in those situations. He limited the YAC, often leading to a punt and a change of possession. However, the completed pass directly impacted Edmunds QBR against, even though the final result was positive for the Steelers.

to read rest of article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...econdary-but-he-might-be-the-missing-link-nfl

20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Here we go with this again. The defense was among the best in the NFL last season. You try to dismiss the statistics because they don't fit your narrative. The unit isn't perfect, but no defense in the NFL is perfect, but any rational evaluation of the defense points to them being better than their statistics, not worse. There are two major reasons for that.

One reason is that I'm not talking about the defense as it started the season. I'm talking about the defense with Minkah Fitzpatrick. The overall rankings for the season include terrible performances against the Patriots and Seahawks. The former was with with a badly overmatched Kameron Kelly at strong safety. They at least had Davis back for the Seahawks, but he was never close to Fitzpatrick's level. Fitzpatrick earned All-Pro honors this season and he will be a Steeler going forward, so it makes a lot more sense to judge the defense on what it is with him than without him.

The other major factor is because the ineptitude of the offense. The Steelers were among the worst in the NFL in time of possession and they couldn't take care of the football, especially later in the season. Look at the defenses ranked ahead of the Steelers. The Ravens had an offense that dominated time of possession. The same is true of the 49ers. The Bills and Patriots aren't quite on that level offensively, but they are far better than the Steelers. You do understand that such things helped their defensive rankings and hurt those of the Steelers, right?

Yes, Edmunds is a weak spot. So is Barron. Every defense has some relative weak spot. The 49ers, for example, are weak at one cornerback.

This isn't the Steel Curtain and of course there is room for improvement, but the defense was a lot better than you give it credit for this season.

I will say that Edmunds is my biggest concern going forward. He gives up big chunks either on penalties or balls that are caught because his ball skills are so bad. Despite AQL's claim, that is not his only issue. He also takes lousy angles in pursuit. I hope they can replace him. Hell, even bringing back Davis and starting him over Edmunds would be an improvement. This isn't the pipe dream many claim it is. I just don't see teams lining up to give Davis a big contract given his resume so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Here we go again with what? For crying out loud, scribe, what do you want? Want me to cream in my jeans over the greatest statistical defense football has ever seen? Well, it wasn't, so forgive me if I don't.

I said the defense is a work in progress. What flipping unit is EVER not a work in progress?

I said we have holes to fill. If you're trying to say we don't, then do us all a favor and start watching golf on Sunday's. Wait, you'd probably complain there are no holes in golf either.

You're a broken record saying that I dismiss stats because they don't fit my narrative. You use stats like the girl who popped your cherry. You get all hot and bothered when you see a new set of data and shoot your wad before you get anyone interested. Then you cry because we don't want to hang around you and your limp opinions.

22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Please, just stop. When you say something is a work in progress, that has a negative connotation. Did you not realize that? It really helps to understand the meaning of the words and phrases you use.

And don't try to act like this wasn't a continuation of the previous discussion. It clearly was because you started attacking statistical arguments again. I teach people how to communicate for a living. One of the most important lessons they need to learn is that arguments must be well-supported with evidence. Statistics work very well as evidence because they represent objective facts. In the case of the defense, you have provided no worthwhile evidence to counter what the statistics tell us. You also have nothing that can counter the logic behind my claim that if anything, the Pittsburgh defense was even better than its statistical rankings this past season.

It's not as if I am some relentless optimist when I post about the Steelers, but I am happy to give credit where it is due.

We really didn't need a projection of your first sexual experience. I'm sorry it didn't go well for you.

All of that said, the bit about golf was truly nasty. Why would you wish watching golf on a fellow Steelers fan! That's just low!

23. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yup. Near the bottom of the league in offense and giving up the ball yet had those defensive stats. Pretty damn good

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Really dude?!

:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    :popcorn:....lol