1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

A once proud franchise

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Oct 30, 2022.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What’s happened to this team? I get that our HOF quarterback is gone and we’re in transition mode there. But Tomlin is responsible for at least making the team somewhat competitive and he’s failed miserably. How many times this season have we been double digit underdogs and have proceeded to go out and prove the oddsmakers correct? It’s embarrassing and humiliating as a fan and the team has been soundly emasculated by better run organizations this year. Where’s the fight and the competitiveness? You can deal with losses as long as you’re seeing a few glimmers of hope from the young guys and we’ve seen very little of that unfortunately.

Tomlin and Colbert have been responsible for player personnel decisions and Tomlin alone has been responsible for coaching this team and putting coordinators and positional coaches in place to help us compete. I’ve lost all confidence in Tomlin at this point to rebuild this franchise and if Kenny Pickett has any shot at a successful NFL career I have serious doubts that Tomlin can get him there. Of course I understand, as we all do, that Tomlin is not going anywhere until Tomlin is good and ready. It’s sad for a fan like myself and many others to see this downward trajectory that we’ve been on the last decade with a Tomlin at the helm and to know that there is no real change coming anytime soon. The 80s were abysmal, I remember them well, but it seemed to me that most of those teams had more fight than the current cast of characters wearing the black and gold.

What has to be done to turn this thing around? I’m not so sure that all three coordinators (OC, DC and STC) shouldn’t lose their jobs. Canada should be fired NOW! But as long as Tomlin is the HEAD coach, is it going to matter? This team has lost its identity and “the standard is the standard” crap now rings hollow!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Ben bailed Tomlin out all the time. Now you are seeing MT's true colors.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We’re still a proud franchise. You’re overreacting IMO. You’re going to have a bad year once in a while. As it turns out we haven’t had a bad one for almost 20 years and some are freaking out.
    We’re the Steelers. We are going to be back on top sooner than later.

With that said. This year has been pretty much a train wreck.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    But it’s much more than just this year. When you look at our abysmal playoff performance over the last several years it’s become a disturbing pattern of failure. From the Tebow debacle to getting spanked by Blake Bortles and the Jags to falling behind the Browns 28-0 n the first quarter at home to getting demolished last year by the Chiefs after backing into the last WC slot. The standard is now sub-standard!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    There were a few years with Cowher in charge......

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m not happy about those things either, but other than the Patriots during that span no one was much better.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Some fans act their team will never have down years, this is probably the best thing to happen to them, yeah the losing sucks but I hope the new GM and Weidl can turn it around.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Oh look it’s mister a superstar is born! How many turnovers does your boy have now? He’s creeping up on Minshew’s 12 interceptions, but doesn’t have the 42 touchdown passes to go along with it

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. I wouldn't laugh so much, but half the people complaining, are the same people who said Ben was the problem....., and while I agree Ben was a shell of His former self....I knew watching He wasn't the problem.....now this year it's Najee fault. LoL.
    It's been, and has been Canada, but now Your seeing it with less Qb knowledge behind center....Trubisky, and Pickett .....neither have that yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

We will know for certain what their plan is heading into 2023 and onward. It is worth noting that Weidl prioritized heavy investments into the Trenches as well as pay good attention to small school players; something that Kevin Colbert did seldom sadly. For that matter, here us hoping a Corner can also be drafted.

Broderick Jones (or insert any Offensive Tackle) and whatever the pick is for CB1 in Round 2 should be in play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Start with winning Home games.

Nobody is afraid of the Steelers anymore.

Offensively you can pad your Stats against the Defense now too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I never said Pickett would be a superstar, but I still believe he has what it takes to be a successful quarterback at this level. And you and other fans better be rooting like crazy that he is because he is the quarterback of the immediate future and we’ll be living and dying with him as our guy. Get used to him behind center because he’ll be there for awhile.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I like Pickett and hope he does well.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I pray He does. Either way We must continue to build around him....both lines, and if he Doesn't end up being the guy....well the next one will have a Good team around Him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Whether we like it or not he’s going to be the guy at least for the near future.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed....that's why We must build around Him, and stop the draft a Qb talk. Because no matter what .....a lot of this team needs upgrading.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Can you point me to the season that Cowher had is in the running for the number 1 draft pick. Also after today’s game the Steelers are in last place in points scored per game.

18. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well at least we won’t have to wait long on Draft night.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  19. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Cant have a rookie throwing as many passes as he has been.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Tell them my inbox is always open

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Don't think we were ever close to having the #1 pick under Cowher. We're not in the running for picking #1 this year either. Season's not 1/2 over yet but,
    '98 we went 7-9
    '99 6-10
    '03 6-10

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    That’s not even close to the season this is and going to be.

23. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Several years of poor drafting and roster building is what has happened the team, along with very poor strategic planning between the ownership and front office.

As others have said maybe this year is the shot in the arm that this team needs. They will probably end up with a top 10 pick and that means an opportunity to improve the team. They need a blue chip player with that pick.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

And also empty.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Okay, Carnac. How's it going to end?