1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

A Little Love for Coach

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Oct 22, 2019.

1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hi All!

If you have ever been in a position of leadership you can probably relate to the following: In many ways there are universal attributes that a leader must possess to be successful. Tomlin’s job is no different than that of a Fortune 500 Company CEO, a School Principal, a Police Commissioner, or the Administrator of an NFL Team’s Message Board (smile) etc.

Yes, I have been tough on him as many of us have been. However, he is our leader with a difficult job. Am I 100% pleased about his performance over the years? No Way. I believe we should have several more rings. Given all of this, I just figure I would throw the man a little love this morning given all of the bashing he receives.

If my philosophical message of the day does not get you pumped, below is a link that I placed in another post. It is from Super Bowl IX. Glenn Edwards blows up John Gilliam. If that was today, he probably would be fined a million dollars and suspended indefinitely. It is one of my favorite Steeler highlights of all time. Better than any cup of caffeine to get your day off on the right track. Take care. STEELWINDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BihlRBPNVYI

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    uh no thanks

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I'd throw him a pink slip. But, that's just me.

4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Popcorn.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Do not get me wrong folks. I definitely believe Tomlin needs to be shown the door now. He was/is serviceable but we need and expect better. I do not know who would be a viable replacement which is constantly asked. I just feel that we have way underachieved with him and do need some new blood in there.

I am also sick about hearing the phrase: "The Steeler's Way" or "The Rooney Way". So great, we have had three coaches over the past 50 years or so. So What! Tomlin's time should have been done years ago. His resume was paper-thin at the time with no real administrative experience. He does articulate well and seems to be an intellect; just not about being an HC in the NFL. He may be suited more for a Sub-HC position, whatever that may be. As I stated in another post: He is decent, not great, just decent. STEELWINDS

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    After seeing again what Belichk is accomplishing, every Coach in the League should be embarrassed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    No doubt. That’s why I don’t want us to sit back and do nothing. We should at least be turning over every rock in search of better coordinators.If our coach can’t be a tactician our coordinator damn well need to be and they’re not. Like I said neither one will be a coordinator in this league when their run is over here. That has to tell you something.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We need intelligence from our coach and players. That's what BB has and it shows in the players he gathers too. One guy that I think has it in spades and would love to see in a stable environment like Pittsburgh would be gruden. :cool:

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Mike Tomlin is second to the man in Boston for wins since 2007. That said, he is running out of time. Tomlin needs to step it up.

The fact that the team has not conceded the season given the injuries speaks to how much the players care about him. Tomlin can motivate for certain. In terms of preaching the basics, principles and fundementals?! Not so much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

Assuming we don't win a playoff game once again this season - Tomlin's teams have managed to win a playoff game only twice in the last 9 seasons.

11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Belichick gets to play with a different set of rules.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Officials have been investigated, he has all the dirt. No way they make a game winning call against him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Tomlin is 127-70-1 in 13 seasons with our boys. Pretty damn amazing record. Any fan base would kill for that. Now subtract Ben and his Coaching ability would probably lead us to 70-127-1.

14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It's not even that. He's allowed to dodge/not answer questions to the media. Don't you think every coach in the league wants to do that? Why would you want to tip your hand anyways. But media helps stir ratings which = money. League would be pretty boring if everybody got to move like Belichick.

Then he's up 33-0 trying to draw penalties on the Jets. Any other coach does this and they are getting killed in the media but oh it's Belichick just being Belichick.

Tomlin deferred in OT and actually got the ball back and was questioned for weeks. Belichick did it and lost and never got the ball and got less hate.

Different set of rules.

15. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    You want to throw the man a little love given all the bashing he’s received ???

Nothing wrong with that I guess But I’d much rather throw him a little love for doing a great job or at this point just have my Steelers Properly Prepared to game the game and team we’re facing !!

Cajun

16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    It's a whole different mind set up in New England. As much as I can't stand it I have to respect it when it comes down to winning at all costs. Take last night for instance. On MNF they pummel the NY J E T S and so what to do they do immediately afterwards. They go out and sign Mohammed Sanu. They still aren't satisfied being undefeated. They go all in every step of the way towards making their team better. Meanwhile, other teams work with what they have to try and defeat that machine.

17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Im assuming they got Sanu because of Gordon’s injuries?

I heard it was for a second rounder. Sanu was a third rounder who is capable but not a game changer.

Just imagine the response here if the Steelers had done something like that. 7-0 and still giving away draft picks for an ageing sub-par talent? Short at WR because they traded away a starter and signed a headcase? I can almost guarantee it wouldn’t be seen by many as great leadership...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He will probably thrive with that assassin Brady.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Lincoln Riley is the only coach I want running the Steelers at the moment. Unfortunately, that will never happen.

20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Cajunyankee.

The props were sent because I can relate to being in an administrative position myself and empathizing with all of the criticism that comes with being in a position of leadership. I am in no way giving Coach Tomlin a pass on his “underachievement”. Trust me; I am just as frustrated as many others are in regards to his overall time in Pittsburgh; especially his last few years. However, when one is in a position of command it does show a desire of that person to lead. It takes a special person to want to be the “Head Honcho”.

Hey, you can be the Captain or just one of the sailors in life. The Captain leads and must be willing to accept the majority of the responsibility for final outcomes. The sailors, which are most people in life, feel entitled to gripe and point fingers with no repercussions. The captain is willing to put it all out there and be first in line for both success and failure. Most love the success but how many of us are willing to stand tall and brunt the majority of the blame when failure hits? Take care my friend. STEELWINDS

21. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    You're saying we would have issues with giving a 2nd rounder for a WR and winning the SB for a 2nd year in a row? Really?

22. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Brady and bellicheck are discouraging coaches, qbs and fans everywhere lol

23. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I’m been the captain, manager of a couple of restaurants, started and sold a couple small businesses and truth in job performance is crucial.......

Can’t take the heat get out of the kitchen.... thing is I believe Tomlin can take the heat ....... But I don’t see his bosses putting the heat on him enough......

For me.... got tired of the heat over too much time...... current job is much cooler

Cajun

24. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    .....and creating Patriots obsession world wide or at least here...so I’m told.:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Good analogy!

• Agree Agree x 1