1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

A little excercise in futility....like this season!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I live near the biggest professional sports void in the world, Cleveland Ohio, and I am often amazed at how Browns fans literally have no clue what it takes to win in the NFL. They are often convinced that they are going to win the division because they picked up this guy or drafted that guy. They simply place no value on leadership, organization, ownership, etc. so I came up with this rating scale a year or so ago and so far it has held fairly true. Apply it to any team who you believe you know well enough to evaluate and can be honest enough to be reasonable.

Here is the model to rate six key factors in an NFL teams ability to win, take note that the numbers total 16 so each category should account for the wins that category will produce.

MODEL:
    Talent 4
    Leadership 2
    Ownership 2
    Management 3
    Coaching 3
    Intangible 2 (lucky bounces, riding a hot streak, etc.)

Here's how I rated the Steelers, Browns, and Patriots last year:
    Steelers: 9 wins
    Talent 4
    Leadership 0
    Ownership 1
    Management 2
    Coaching 1
    Intangible 1

Browns: 7 wins
    Talent 3
    Leadership 1
    Ownership 0
    Management 1
    Coaching 1
    Intangible 1

Patriots: 11 wins
    Talent 2
    Leadership 2
    Ownership 2
    Management 2
    Coaching 2
    Intangible 1

After doing this you may find that the numbers don't fit, the model is off, the exercise is stupid, or all of the above:smiley1: But who isn't sick of talking about Brown, Bell, Tomlin, Ben & company?

2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    It seems it doesn't matter who the Patriots have playing defense they play well. They did a great job of stopping the Rams run game early putting up points. Basically Billichik did what he does best which is to make the other team get out of what they do best.

Hard not to look at what he's been doing for a blueprint for success.

The difference is Bill benches players like Malcolm Butler when not adhering to the rules and Tomlin has embraced players like AB when breaking the rules.

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The Browns with leadership? Laughable.
    The Browns coaches got fired mid season and they outrank the Steelers? Laughable.

Same negative crap just found s clever way of presenting it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Our best talent are our biggest problems. 0 for leadership ..... which by the way is a result of coaching.

The Browns coaching didn't outrank the Steelers in my rating and at least Gregg Williams had his team playing well at the end of the season. Tomlin and company screwed the pooch enough to earn a 0 but given the long term win loss record I gave them a 1

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Sorry, the same score. Still laughable.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Except in the season finale against the Bengals, when AB got sat down.

7. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    It was 3-0 at halftime.

8. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Sorry, the Browns don't have more talent than the Pats. And I'm getting a more than a little tired of hearing about all the great the talent the Steelers have. Simply put, the Pats talent is under rated, the Steeler talent over rated.

The Pats are a 4th down stop vs Philly from winning 3 SBs in a row, and 4 in 5 yrs. I don't care if they are coached by Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Socarates and Confucius and Bill Bellichek, you don't accomplish that without talent.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I’m tired of hearing about the patriots in a Steelers website lol.

I get it we suck but still rather here what’s up with juju watt Ben etc

10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Nice attempt at evaluating NFL teams other than SB trophies Stone. So we can either use Stoner's Matrix or my preferred approach...........Occam's Razor which involves very few variables and arbitrary factors. Pretty much WYSIWYG thinking.

Occam's Razor
    is a logical principle attributed to the medieval philosopher William of Occam (or Ockham). The principle states that one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed. This principle is often called the principle of parsimony. It underlies all scientific modelling and theory building.

Occam's Razor is the problem-solving principle that essentially states that simpler solutions are more likely to be correct than complex ones. When presented with competing hypotheses to solve a problem, one should select the solution with the fewest assumptions.

So Mr. Occum would probably opine that for the past 10 years, the Pats rule and the Steelers suck.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Honestly though I feel you could put that whole Patriot team on any other team with a different staff and they don't even make the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Mind blown!

13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    No way...This theory that this mystical sucesse rate is attributed to/ and only to Marsha and Belicheat is ridiculous...That team has talent...lots!

Now you combine that, with the afformentioned Assholes...And you have something...

14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Exactly.

The whole “nameless players” thing is a massive narrative that people buy in to too easily.

Like people go on about Hogan being a lacrosse player, and completely ignore the two years he played well for the Bills before he signed with the Pats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    You make very good points. Although I believe Bellichek has the ability to get the most out of players and Tomlin does not. I often wonder if Brady would have had the ridiculous success he has had if he was a Steeler.

16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm beginning to wonder if you might be related to Tomlin:smiley1: The Browns coaching under Gregg Williams did more with what they had than the Steelers under Tomlin did with what he had. Plain and simple.

17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Okay, I agree it's a tough call when there are only 5 scores you can give a team for talent, 0 through 4, but I'm not talking about how that talent plays as a team, I am talking about "individual talent". Coaching plays a role in the score given to leadership because coaching determines if a locker room is filled with leaders or individuals, coaching also impacts talent because coaching determines if a player uses his God given talent for the good of the team.

The Steelers are better position by position with the exception of QB with individual talent than the Patriots. The difference is that the Patriots play for the team and the far too many Steeler players play for themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018

I fixed it for you. I like what you are trying to do but the Cheats ratings are way off, their leadership is 10 on a 5 scale.

Steelers: 9 wins
    Talent 4
    Leadership 0
    Ownership 1
    Management 0
    Coaching 1
    Intangible 0

Patriots: 11 wins
    Talent 2
    Leadership 10 (yes it broke the 5 scale)
    Ownership 5
    Management 5
    Coaching 10 (yes it broke the 5 scale)
    Intangible 10 (cheating is an intangible and it broke the scale)

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I thought Tomlin and Butler both should have been let go at the end of the season. Guess what they’re not going anywhere it’s time to get over it.

20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Ahhhhhh the beauty of the internet:smiley1: My apologies! I agree that they both needed to go but at least with Tomlin that isn't going to happen; when the Rooney's made the stupid rule they tied their own hands. My concern with the discussion, or lack thereof, in this forum is that there is a ****load of "fire this guy" and "trade that guy" and there is a ****load of "stop whining about it" but I don't see any discussion about what is wrong and why it's wrong?

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    But sooner or later we all have to come to grips with reality. "if" the Patriots push the envelope, and "if" the league looks the other way, that is a totally different discussion. A discussion that "NOBODY" seems to want to have because it undermines of the fabric of the game we all lust for. Just like my thread about the NFL turning a blind eye to HGH and PED's. Not one person even addressed the underlying problem with officiating being that the league promotes injury by turning a blind eye for the sake of money.

22. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    Again, that's why the cheats have 9 SB appearances in 18 years and 6 SB, they adapt. Doesn't matter what the rules are or what the NFL changes, we need a coaching and ownership group that can adapt. We are basically the most talented team but can't get to the DAMN game because our bus driver (Tomlin) can't use Google maps.

WTF are we doing in the off season? Bitching about the same crap year after year, nothing changes. I've been a Steelers die hard for 30+ years, I've never been this frustrated. Maybe I need to take a chill pill IDK.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    "IF" the Pats are cheating like theives and "IF" the league is turning a blind eye to it, every other team in the NFL would notice and would duplicate or advance the practice within a nanosecond. Teams copycat teams in every other area, why would they stop on this?

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    **** has been discussed to death.

25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Must be buried:smiley1: