1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

A Class Of Our Own: Why I am Glad To Be a Steelers Fan (UPDATE)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Dec 27, 2016.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Throughout my time watching American Gridiron Football since 2008, I have enjoyed the ups and downs of being a fan of a very successful organization. Such patience from the owners for the coaches, such commitment from the players, such devotion from the fans who support their team.

However, one thing I had recently discovered on SteelersDepot is where much of this admiration lies. Here you go for a good read:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/1...ion-titles-29-playoff-apps-since-1970-merger/

The most important thing to take from this is that we are the fourth franchise to eclipse 600 wins and the first AFC team to do so. For those that still want Tomlin fired or even players let go for some reason.. that is fine.

For me, however, I am glad. Glad to have three coaches eclipse 100 wins. Glad to have a team with the highest winning percentage in NFL history since the merger. Proud to enjoy a team that makes do with what it has to win games. Most importantly though, beyond the stats and accolades, championships and hall of famers, I am proud to be apart of a fanbase that is not only diverse but loyal to the end. In spite of some of our criticisms and comments, our ignorance, our arrogance, our lust for success, outside the Pakcers fans, I could not think of a better sports team to cheer for.... and it is all thanks to Troy Aumua Polamalu and to you guys.

Keep rocking, Pittsburgh Steelers. You will enter the gates to the "Stairway to Seven" before long. :rawk::herewego:

UPDATE: Here is more fuel for the fire.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/01/steelers-remain-class-nfl-team-post-merger-record-600/

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I think the Steelers will kill me soon

3. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Before the 1970 merger, I was just an NFL fan with no favorite team. I pretty much liked the whole AFL especially. Matt Snell and the NY Jets, Emerson Boozer and the Boston Patriots, Jack Kemp and the Buffalo Bills, Speedy Duncan and the San Diego Chargers, Daryl LaMonica and the Oakland Raiders.
    I also like Johnny Unitas and the Baltimore Colts in the NFL, and Jim Brown in Cleveland.
    After the 1970 merger the Steelers ended up in the AFC which is the league I favored. So I started paying more attention to the hometown Steelers, as did most of my fellow citizens. [ a lot of us were Browns fans then].

The thing that really got me tuned into the Steelers was the QB controversy going on then between Bradshaw, Hanratty, and Gilliam. I didn't really like any of them, but the controversy kept my attention. I was a casual lukewarm Steeler fan until the Immaculate Reception. I listened to that game on the radio because it wasn't on tv if i remember correctly, and I didn't really care who won because i was from the Pittsburgh area and and an Oakland fan.
    That game is where the Steelers hooked me.
    It seemed like the whole aura of Pittsburgh sports changed with the Immaculate Reception. From there the Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins just took off and Super Bowls, World Series and Stanley cups started falling out of the sky.

In the 80's the Steelers weren't very good, but they kept their reputation for being a tough out, and playing hard nosed football every week. We lost often, but we were held in high esteem for playing hard every week. Some of my favorite all-time Steelers played during the 80's.

Thats what makes me proud to be a Steeler fan: "The Football with attitude". We don't take losing lightly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I became a fan in the 1995 Super Bowl. Whole family went for cowboys and I went for Steelers. This is why Cowboys are #1 on my blacklist

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Updates are shown at the top.

You are welcome.