1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

8 first rounders

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Sep 17, 2019.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    thats 8 first rounders on D. Keith better do something with it.

Watt
    Dupree
    Heyward
    Haden
    Edmunds
    Fitz
    Bush
    Barron

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Get off his back! He doesn’t have the complete set quite yet.

3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    You forgot Artie Burns

• Like Like x 1
  4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I hope the coaches continue to......

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kolbassi

Kolbassi Well-Known Member

May 1, 2017
    must be your difference makers/ game changers, many of these are not.

6. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Could you imagine what the hoodie could get done with these guys ,,:hmm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yep.

Remember that DHB was a first round pick. It’s no guarantee of HOF calibre play.

That said, Butler seems unable to put his players in a position to succeed. He is an atrocious strategist.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    But when he does, he'll get the bonus engraved fork and spoon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The Steelers great defense of the 1970s only had 2 starters that were #1 picks, Joe Greene and JT Thomas. They drafted #1s cornerback Dave Brown, who didn't pan out, but had a decent career in Seattle, and Ron Johnson, who was decent cornerback in the 80s. They also drafted Robin Cole #1 in 1977, who was a good linebacker after the Super Bowl years. We have gone from LeBeau to Butler. A comparison would be Bradshaw to Malone. HOF to average.

10. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    For me, it's more so the picks we've been making and the rationale for doing so. The Jarvis Jones pick was a disaster the second they made it and all the red flags were there. Artie Burns was the same thing. Ziggy Hood had upside for sure, but they drafted him to do stuff he had never done before. System is everything in the NFL.

It's not just that they missed, but they swung at pitches that weren't anywhere near the plate. Some of those picks were head scratches when they were made. I just don't understand why this team does some of the things they do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014

Watt/tuitt/hargrave/cam/ola/fitz/haden/nelson. Thats more than enough playmakers even for a terrible DC

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Sorry for the tangent, but it's not really that Brown didn't work out. The Steelers lost him to the Seahawks in the expansion draft before the 1976 season. They had so much talent that they couldn't protect everybody they wanted to keep. They had Mel Blount and Thomas ahead of Brown at cornerback, so he didn't have much opportunity as a rookie in 1975, his only season with the Steelers.

13. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    That's honestly amazing. Butler is even worse than I thought

14. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    he is bad. he over complicates things and he only confuses himself lol. Probably does what i do in madden and does punt blocks or fg blocks in first down lol

15. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    He prob reads this and he'll read that statement and be like hmm that's not a bad idea.. He prob gets all his ideas from Madden.. He doesn't take into account that real life ppl don't glitch like on a video game though lol

16. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Scribe, you are correct. As I was typing about Brown, there was something in the back of my mind about this.

17. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    lmao

aggressive teams that aren't afraid to go for it on 4th and inches beat butler. Teams our defense looks elite against are those tail between the leg coaches kicking a fg down 3 scores lol. Not sure any coach would kick a fg down 20-0 though

18. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2017
    How much of this garbage defense is on Tomlin versus Butler? If we are going to distribute spankings each week and had ten whacks with the switch to hand out, how would we allocate? I feel like we have this conversation about Tomlin vrs OC/DC every week. It can be Haley/Fichtner or LeBeau/Butler.

19. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    9 1st rounders when you include artie burnt...... and a 2nd rounder in tuitt with 1st rd value

• Like Like x 1
  20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The fg & stating he wasn't ready are not the standard. How can he expect the team to buy in when he doesn't?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I wrote it in the other tread but I'm not positive that this points to poor talent development as much as poor talent evaluation, meaning drafting. As evidence have any of the past draft failures gone somewhere else and really contributed? Not that I can think of. Not Jarvis, Senquez, Doran, whoever. None of them have done jack squat, so if it's coaching than no one else is doing much better either.

Now shaner82 countered that if you don't get that early development that later development is highly unlikely. I see the argument but not sure I agree. We can all certainly name some players that improved significantly with a change of scenery.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Only Jarvis was a first rd pick though. Sequenz was a 3rd and his problem was injuries and Doran was a 4th.

Jarvis
    Burns
    Bud (incomplete)
    Edmunds (incomplete)

Jarvis and Burns definitely busts
    Bud most likely, I’m being generous with the incomplete
    Edmunds I still have hope for, only year two and you can see his upside.

Is that all bad evaluation or bad coaching/development?

I’ll chalk Jarvis up to bad evaluation but the others should be better players IMO.

They never should have held onto Butler. Player development aside, his schemes suck.

23. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Where they were drafted is not part of my argument. It really doesn't matter. My point is that if its the staff's fault that these players never developed than certainly some other team could have turned them into a serviceable player, but that doesn't seem to be the case. None of these guys are in the league at all as far as I can tell.

As always the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. If production = talent x coaching, then it doesn't take much below of each to equal very poor production since they're multiplicative.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s part of mine. The further away from the first rd the more of a crap shoot it is. I’m not bothered by players like Sequenz and Doran not planning out. Your first rds need to be hits.

25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Much more true before the rookie salary cap.