1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

75 Steelers vs 85 Bears

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel machine, Apr 6, 2020.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Yahoo sports has a competition going on for the greatest of all time. Our 75 Steelers have made it to the finals. We beat the perfect Dolphin team to get there. I know it's all for fun and really know way of ever knowing but I'm pulling hard to win this thing.

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    So our sports world has come down to cheering for simulations...lol

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I would have thought the 76 team would have done better than the 75 team since the 76 defense is widely considered the best of the Steel Curtain era.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The '78 team was the best of the Steelers teams, as far as, offense and defense both running on all cylinders.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Bleacherreport has a Madden GOAT SIM comprised of all 32 teams. This began a couple weeks back but I have not been paying it any attention. Here is a list though of their top 10 contenders to win it all.

Top 10 Madden GOAT Teams

No surprise at number one for me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Pittsburgh should win that one mid difficulty thanks to having 10 HOF players. Even with the likes of Richard Dent, Walter Payton, Micheal Singletary and Dan Hampton, Pittsburgh possess six more Hall of Fame players. That is not even including possible HOFers like L.C. or even Andy Russell either.

Even without Donnie Shell, Pittsburgh still outnumbers the 85 Bears by five. Adding Donnie Shell makes this contest essentially that much easier. Those 70s Steelers teams were, is and will always be the greatest collection of talent in NFL History.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Wut? :eek:

Big Ben over Bradshaw?
    I had to quit reading.

8. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Here's my Steelers (reserves in ():

WR- Swann, Stallworth (Ward, A. Brown [before December 2018])
    TE - Miller (No reserve) (If I had to pick one Eric Green)
    T- L. Brown, Kolb (M. Smith)
    G- Faneca, DeCastro (S. Davis)
    C- Webster (D. Dawson)
    QB- Bradshaw (Roethlisberger)
    HB- F. Harris (Bettis)
    FB- Bleier

DL - Greenwood, Greene, A. Smith, Heyward (Holmes, D. White)
    OLB - Ham, Russell (Lloyd, TJ Watt, Merriweather)
    MLB- Lambert (Farrior)
    CB- Blount, Woodson (JT Thomas, C. Scott)
    S- Polamalu, Shell (Wagner)

K- G. Anderson
    P- We won't need one.

Stautner, Butler, and Bobby Dial were before my time. I am sure I am missing a player or two.

I picked Bradshaw over Big Ben because of Super Bowl performances. If Big Ben had beaten GB, it would have been a tougher call.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Idk, there's a lot of 70s love here.
    I'd take TJ over Russell
    Bettis at RB, Franco at FB
    And as much as a homer I am for Big Ben, Bradshaw at QB

• Like Like x 1
  10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Loved Mike Webster...But damn, Dawson might have been the greatest center EVER

11. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Or watching NBA players play a game of horse via streaming. Yes this is a real possibility, ESPN radio has been touting it all weekend. Of course online bookies will be sure to get in on that action.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I could agree with you on Dawson, but Franco's 154 yards rushing in Super IX gives Webster the nod for me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Not bad, but Dwayne Woodruff would get my nod over Scott at CB. Played very well on some pretty bad Steeler teams. Also think Big Snack Hampton needs love here, Holmes only played a few years. Big Snack anchored that middle for a lot of years with great results.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I might agree with you on TJ over Russell, but TJ needs more longevity. Franco and Bettis - if you needed a yard, I would go Bettis. If you needed a clutch performance, I would pick Harris every time over bettis. Franco has more signature highlights then Bettis. Bettis has running over Urlacher. Harris has the Immaculate Reception, 154 yards rushing in Super Bowl IX, give me the ball in SB XIII and rips off a 22 yard TD.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I can agree on Hampton over Holmes and Woodruff over Scott. I forgot about Ike Taylor. He was a shutdown corner, but he is probably immune to Covid-19, because he could not catch a thing.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Dawson vs. Webster I see. I have a much better idea. Why not both on the field at the same time?!

Dawson did play guard correct?! Just plug him in at Guard and I doubt the results of an all time Steelers Team vs. whomever else would change honestly. Cannot go wrong with either starting at Center.

For me personally though, if I am constructing an All Time Steelers Team, I am maximizing the talent on the team for the best possible results. As such, Dawson gets the nod at Guard and Webster gets the nod at Center.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I thought your post said cheering for stimulations and I was going to say I think you are on to something:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    For us yinzers (and those in the know..which is us yinzers, LOL) I tend to agree. The totality of the work however has to be taken into consideration. The team started out 1-4 or 5 that year, where was the D the first quarter of the season. Yes injuries matter, and losing both 1000 yard backs is difficult (if not impossible) to overcome, but in the ne they did not win the AFC shampionship, let alone the SB...greatness is defined by the entire season and the end results. The first quarter of the season was a wash, the end of the season they did not complete the job. The '76 D presented the best performance over a 9 game stretch in NF history, the '76 team as a whole did not get it done however.

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I get your logic there and Dawson was a great player, but I would not start him at guard over Faneca or DeCastro.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That makes some sense, but football isn't just about talent. Matchups matter. The '75 team was still far too reliant on the run to have success against the '85 Bears. They just didn't throw much. Swann only caught 49 passes that season. Stallworth only caught 20. The defense was good enough to give the Steelers a shot.

Now put those two in their primes, like in '78 or '79, and the Bears' cornerbacks would not be able to match up.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This was done once before and came down to the Steelers and 49ers and the Steelers won :yeehaw:

Don’t remember the year of the teams, might have been best dynasty ever.

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Steelers by a WIDE margin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    yeah ESPN did it with several historic franchises and it came down to the 80's Niners and the 70's Steelers with the Steelers winning. They really did a good job making it seem like and actual game

• Like Like x 2
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I remember ESPN doing it a long time ago and I think it was the '78 Steelers beating the '84 49ers.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's the one I was thinking of. I remember they spliced together game footage. It helped that the Steelers played the 48ers in 1984 and some of the guys from the '70s were still around.