1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

6th-7th Round Draft Targets

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by RPO IZSB, Mar 11, 2016.

1. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Since we have a handful of late round picks, I thought I'd start a post focusing just on guys in this range. Smaller school guys, who maybe aren't on anyone's watch list yet.

DB
    Deiondre Hal
    l Northern Iowa
    - Has played Safety, Linebacker, and CB in a hybrid 3/4 defense, and has been a 4 year starter. The late rounds are as much about depth as finding diamonds. This guy is not a diamond, but could be immediate depth.
    DeAndre Elliot Colorado St
    - CB with a sub 4 in the 20, and a sub 7 in the 3 cone, and a 41 inch vertical all in a 6'1" 190 lb frame... nice athlete. I'll take a flyer on those atheletics
    Justin Simmons Boston College
    - Center Field Safety with size and CB experience. While the splash plays came from others in the Shrine game, Simmons was the consistent tackler, who could run with seam routes. If we don't go safety early, he should be on our target list. High Upside.

EDGE
    Alex McCalister Florida

- Another freak of an athlete. There's no football built in yet, but from an underpants perspective, holy ****.
    James Cowser Southern Utah
    Could be a star special teams player immediately, while providing Edge rushing depth. He's older due to doing some mission work, but would be worth a late round pick.

1 GAP DT
    Javon Hargrave South Carolina St

- Couldn't take my eyes off him in the Shrine game. If he didn't have t-rex arms he'd be a 2nd round pick.

OT
    Joe Haeg North Dakota St

We are going to draft an OT in the middle to late rounds. Haeg moves like a pro. He probably doesn't last until the late rounds. We should consider him as high as our 4th round pick.
    Stephane Nembot Colorado
    - Basically the complete opposite of Haeg. Not athletic, not polished. Would need to sit on PS for a year. BUT... raw power is undeniable. Could develop in to

34DE
    Dean Lowry Northwestern

Not gonna wow, but could compete immediately for backup 5 tech spot.

RB
    Josh Fergusion Illinois

- Too small to be a top half of the draft back, but no one cuts like this guy. His feet are so good and would make him an electric spellback in our zone scheme.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    joe thuney - nc state. OT/OG

frankie williams - purdue CB/FS/KR/PR

anthony brown - purdue CB/FS

adam gotsis - GT DT/DE

bj goodson - Clem. ILB

lots of other good players deep in this one. :cool:

3. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Good lists, will have to check some of those names.

Slightly limited time so been focusing more on the top end, but one guy I like, who may fall in more of the 4th-5th round range is Joe Schobert from Wisconsin, an OLB/ILB guy. Productive overachiever with some good measurable athletic traits. Could be who we thought we were getting with Zumwalt.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Of those guys I've only watched Hall and Simmons. I like what I saw of Hall, and really think of him more as a safety than a corner at the NFL level. He's a good football player, and should be able to make the jump from FCS to the NFL. Simmons is one of my favorites in this draft. Film doesn't lie, and his film is nearly the best, if not the best, of all safeties in the draft. His question marks were focused on speed and athleticism. At the combine he ran a decent 4.61 40, and was very impressive in his vert of 40", broad of 10'6" and short shuttle of 3.85. I'd be really, really surprised if he makes it out of the 4th round, never mind the 6th. Quite honestly, if we took him in the 2nd or 3rd I wouldn't mind. He is going to be a starting safety in the NFL. That's my view anyway.

5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Victor Ochi - Stony Brook OLB
    Dadi Nicolas - Virgina Tech OLB
    Javon Hargrave - S. Car. ST DT
    Aziz ****tu - Stanford DE
    Matt Ioannidis - Temple DE
    KJ Dillon - West Virgina SS
    Kevin Byard - Middle Tenn. SS
    Cyrus Jones - Bama CB

I feel Ochi and Jones could be big players for us......

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yep, i agree about the 2nd or 3rd. good quickness numbers. better than most corners. he's long too.:cool:

7. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016

I"d love to get Joe Haeg right there in the 4th round. I never want our O-line to go back to what it was 4 years ago.

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    DT Taniela Tupuo Washington. Team captain, great character, hustler. 6'2" 290. 3 tech mostly in college. Played some rugby as well. Athletic. Played all the games the last 3 years. A definite must add imo.

I liked Dean Lowry too as a DL (big 10 thread).

Darrelle Green G San Diego St. 6'3" 320. Good mobility at the combine. Could be a good PS guy to start.

Elandon Roberts ILB Houston 6' 235 Liked what I saw watching some Houston games this year. Diagnoses quickly, good leader. Struggles in pass coverage.

DJ Foster RB ASU 5'10 195 Great receiver out of the backfield, mentioned him in some other threads.

Brandon Williams CB Texas AM. 6' 200 4.37 in the 40. started his career as a RB at Oklahoma, then transferred to be closer to his daughter. Not much experience at the position, but you have to like the size and speed. Could cut his teeth on STs and with that speed, maybe some return duties.

RJ Williamson S MSU. Would be a good add for development/depth

• Like Like x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Dam Turtle yet another DT prospect in an already super deep class. I am gonna have to take a look at him, at this rate we may be able to find a starter as a non drafted guy, lol.

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok so I googled him and holy crap Turtle you are wrong........he needs to be our FB, lol! Watch the stiff are at 1:20 and 2:00 in this clip and also check out the size of his thighs........man this guy is a monster.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Bronson Kaufusi BYU DE 6'6 285 had 11 sacks and 3 ff last season 4.87
    James Bradberry Samford CB 6'1 211 he ran good at the combine
    Kolby Listenbee TCU WR 6'0 197 4.39 speed he can flat out fly
    Jay Lee Baylor WR 6'2 214 4.49

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think the WR position opened up in the 6th round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They could use one that can be a PR or KR on special teams.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    A 6th round WR? Pffffttt..... We'll never find a decent WR in the 6th round.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016

Don't get me excited like that!!!! LOL

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I think your on to something. Would be nice to get a guy who's a real threat who has a knack for navigating thru there and taking it to the house. I don't like AB doing that anymore. Just don't want to take a chance he gets hurt.

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Akron LBer Jatavis Brown has a meeting scheduled with the Steelers. Very fast, slightly undersized LBer. Late round prospect and I think he would be great on special teams. He likes to come up and make the big hit but with his size he sometimes relies too often on the swing around tackle from the few times I've watched. He had a good all star game can't remember which one.

18. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Big time. Down here is where I'd like to find that WR.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he's pretty good. just short. yes he had a very good all-star game. :cool:

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  21. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Josh Ferguson looks like a star. He has that instinctual after the catch ability to pair with his speed. I mean, that vision is crazy. Between him and Ervin, we're going to get another playmaker for this offense/special teams.

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I like Roberts, mentioned him in the B1G thread. He would be a good late rounder imo.

Another CB for late round consideration: Kalan Reed Southern Miss

http://www.hogshaven.com/2016/2/29/11083290/washington-redskins-2016-draft-profiles-kalan-reed-cb

(Husker FB #35 in the video is Andy Janovich. Peyton Hillis type guy and would love to get him too. Probably not in the works with Nix stepping up but...)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...-scouting-report-kalan-reed-de-southern-miss/

very good profile on Reed. Great measurables. They say it well - under the radar for sure

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Been watching some tape of Schobert. Pretty good, he was a one man wrecking crew vs Iowa. Watched Alabama too. Missed two tackles that I saw, and 18 overall for two seasons according to one report. But very tenacious and a lot of experience dropping in coverage. Wears a great number!! (Won the Lambert trophy in 2015). Good career for a walk-on.

Smaller size wise at 229 for our OLBs but wonder if he would be better as an ILB. Would improve special teams in the least. Not sure what round he'd go.

edit: just thinking, with his tweener size/strength he may go undrafted. Not a slight, Josh Mauro went undrafted. Just shows some of those guys can slip through

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Sleeper pick Tyrone Holmes 6'2 253 OLB Montana I think he had 18 sacks in 2015, at the FCS level 6th-7th rd pick.

25. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    He did very well at his pro day. 28 bench reps, 4.58 40, 37.5" vert, 9.5" broad. His explosion index is 75, with 70 being considered an excellent score. I don't think this draft is particularly deep at edge rusher, so he may go before our 6th rounder.