1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

6 OLB Prospects Reviewed

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steel_Elvis, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    With the prospect of losing Worilds and possibly cutting Woodley after June 1, I decided to watch some early round 3-4 OLB candidates. Here are my rankings of the guys that I watched. Note that I did not spend time on Clowney or Mack since they are almost certainly top 5 picks. I had watched a couple of Mack games a month or two ago, and he’s 100% the real deal, and would rank 1[SUP]st[/SUP] on this list.

1. Jeremiah Attaochu – GA Tech – Some will call me crazy, but I think he’s the next best 3-4 OLB prospect after Mack. When I watch him play, I’m reminded of a young Terrell Suggs. I found very little film showing him dropping into coverage. He basically only did it a few times per game at most. However, he attacks the line of scrimmage with a great combination of upper/lower body strength, quickness and non-stop relentlessness. I honestly think he’s a 10+ sack/year guy in the NFL if he goes to a 3-4 team. He also holds up very well against the run. I also like that he never takes a play off. Every play is flat out. Right now I am seeing him projected in the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] round. I strongly doubt that he will be there at our 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] round pick. Look for him to rise between now and May. Honestly, if we lose Worilds I would have no problem taking Attaochu at #15. I think he’s that good.

2. Marcus Smith – Louisville – I like Smith a lot as well. He’s a bit faster and maybe a tad bit less powerful than Attaochu, but he plays with the same level of intensity attacking the line of scrimmage. He also drops back into coverage fairly smoothly, and shows a fair bit of versatility. He is particularly good at forcing fumbles, and I got see him in person back in October when he racked up 2.5 sacks and a critical forced fumble against my UCONN Huskies. This is a good player, and I think it’s possible that he’s there for us in the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP], but I wouldn’t mind taking him late in the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] if we trade down.

3. Anthony Barr – UCLA – I know he’s projected really high right now, but I think there’s a good chance that he is still available when pick #15 rolls around. His ceiling is high, but he has a long road ahead of him to reach that ceiling. He shows exceptional quickness and range, and makes some awesome splash plays. However, if he is not able to get past a lineman in the first ½ second, he’s done. He needs to get much stronger in the upper body, and needs to learn how to use his hands to disengage. Right now, his game almost pure speed. I wouldn’t be disappointed if we take him at #15 because of his long-run potential, but if that happens I would expect a redshirt year in 2014.

4. Kyle Van Noy – BYU – While I still think he would ultimately be best as an ILB in our scheme, he does offer great scheme and positional versatility, along with great football savvy and instincts. I love him in pass coverage compared to all of the other potential OLBs. He’s a very good overall player and has a great nose for the football. Now if we can just teach him how to tackle! I would be good with him at pick #46, and I do think he’ll make it there. I don’t see teams jumping all over him in the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] or early 2[SUP]nd[/SUP].

5. Dee Ford – Auburn – I am seeing Ford projected as a lower 1[SUP]st[/SUP] rounder. I don’t see that at all. He’s a very dangerous speed rusher, but that’s pretty much all I see in him on film. He’ll work inside a bit, with very mixed success, but he will make his living racing tackles to the edge. I think he is one of a few OLBs worth a look at pick #46, but he wouldn’t be on my radar any earlier than that. If someone wants him earlier, great. That just means it’s more likely that a better player lands in our laps later.

6. Jackson Jeffcoat – Texas – Jeffcoat has put up great career numbers. On film I see a really good college player, but not quite a great prospect. He checks all of the boxes for a 3-4 OLB, but to my eyes he just barely checks each one. I guess I see a guy who should be a decent pro, but may be just a bit too weak, and lack just enough quickness, to be a really good pro. To me he looks like a guy who can be an OK starter, but would leave us wanting a bit more. However, it’s close enough so that I would be pretty good with him at our (assumed) 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] round comp pick if he’s there.

That’s it for now.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers aren't going to lose both Worilds and Woodley, so I don't see a need to draft a OLB in the first two rounds. If they can sign Worilds then they will cut Woodley if not then Woodley stays.

3. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i'm afraid they will keep woodley , anyway is 4 months that i'm saying attaouchu is one of the best

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It's funny that your rating of LB's
    just come out SE, good job by the way.
    I may be premature in my thinking, but
    I do see the Steelers targeting a LB and
    I also am thinking at a high draft choice.
    Everybody says well we have Woodley
    if Worilds leaves, Do you want to trust
    Lamaar Woodley to play in all 16 games?
    LOL. LB in the 2nd round is looking mighty
    fine.

5. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Nope. There's no way that I trust Woodley to play in 16 games, or to be anywhere near as effective as he was over his first 4 1/2 seasons if he does play. If we don't resign Worilds, we are in dire need of something more than we have on the outside. I will also say that my confidence in JJ becoming something special is not terribly high. I'm hopeful that he will, but not ready to bet our ability to rush the passer on him. Everything we do on pass defense is dependent upon our OLBs winning their match ups. I'd rather have 3 quality pass rushers than 1, so I'd err on the side of taking someone good. Honestly, I might go there even if we keep Worilds and let Woodley go.

Here's my thought on restocking the defense: we are going to need a handful of new players, some of them starters this year, many to be starters next year. The two most expensive defensive positions to fill in free agency are corner and OLB, because corners and pass rushers come at a premium price. Therefore, those are the positions that I target most aggressively in the draft, and try to fill in at least 1 or 2 other needs (S, ILB, D line) in free agency.

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i agree but who are our olb next year ? woodley and jj . one can 't stay on the field another can't rush the passer , worilds will be too expensive and gone (and i don't think we should break the bank on him ) . then anybody that come from the draft will need at least one year to be effective (if happen) . so in any case we need to find a one year bargain after june that can play next season and hope he will be enough

7. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Shaun Phillips? Anthony Spencer? Both guys are probably in the mix for 1 year deals. I think having a rent-a-rusher strategy for 1 year while young guys develop is OK.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm hoping westerman and so'oto can make some contributions. so'oto was coached by kevin green and dom capers the last two years, so he should have a very good grasp of our 3-4. westerman when he's played has had some success. carter in year 4, but missed his first year mini camps so he was behind from the start. he showed me some improvement from the prior year and if he adds to it again we may start to see what the coaches saw in him to begin with. these 3 are in their 5th, 4th and 3rd years. they all always had good players in front of them, so with depleted depth here maybe we can see some of what they have. I'm not sure the cupboard is as bare as we think at OLB. JJ in year two should be better. Woodley, if he goes with ike to fla. like he says, could finally get back to the level he should be at.:cool:

9. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    There's some serious hopes and maybes in there, Mac. I don't think we can wait another year on hopes and maybes.

10. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I say lets give Woodley one more year. if he cant stay healthy let him go. surely it would cost less to release him next year. let worilds go. I hate to but he is gonna want to much money I am afraid. for those of you who are worried about jones next year don't be. he worked out alittle bit down at Georgia and I heard he has already put on muscle. the kid knows what he has to do and is already doing it. I have no problem with drafting an olb early. I guess that's because I am sick of having teams in third and 10 or more and not being able to get to qb. draft dee ford and play all three of them. I don't care. I just want sacks

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we would have to with the guys on your list too. these guys have had that coaching already. JJ isn't going anywhere soon either. westerman played pretty well from what I've read on him. he's a solid backup. so'oto has some size, speed and strength. I'm not throwing anyone away with the knowledge of our 3-4. that's a giant plus. I think we will draft one somewhere in this draft but not nearly that early. they will not go back to back firsts at least, not with the other holes we have to fill.:cool:

12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    You can make arguments like that for any position group, any year. And you know what? The VAST majority of the time there's a really good reason why guys entering the 3rd - 5th seasons with limited playing time and production don't make it. Westerman has shown some potential, but he has also been cast off by FOUR teams in his brief career. He may be a serviceable 4th OLB, but I think even expecting that is pretty borderline. I mean, the Jets didn't like him and it's not like they have barn burners at OLB. Carter and So'oto... come on.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I guess we keep drafting until we find that guy that can step in and start on a pro bowl level. somebody needs fired for bringing in all these worthless players. maybe we start there.:cool:

14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    No Mac, that's not what I was saying.... but OK, let's have this different conversation instead. Of course the team needs to bring in a bunch of unproven players every season. You need numbers in training camp. You need practice squad players during the season. And you need to restock the practice squad on a regular basis when you've seen a guy enough to know he's not going to work out, and you replace him. Occasionally you're going to stumble upon a diamond in the rough. Every team does. However, you don't base your talent replenishment strategy on hoping that someone who hasn't gotten it in 2-4 years suddenly gets it. You especially don't do that at a position that is as critical to the team as OLB is to us.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    heck timmons didn't get it for about 3 years. how about james harrison? woods? mclendon? will johnson? do you think the PS is just to pay some guys for a season? they can improve and learn from there you know. westerman does have 3 starts in the league and has 6.5 sacks. dom capers and kevin green were running the same defense we run. so'oto had to pick up something. any rookie is as unproven and unknowledgeable as they come in our system and the league. do you wonder why guys that mis rookie mini camp and mini camp never usually amount to much the first year? i'm not guaranteeing they will start, but that is alot more to work with than someone green.:cool:

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    My point is pretty simple: The OLB is the key to our defense. When we have had OLBs that consistently pressure opposing QBs, our defense has flourished. When we haven't, our defense has had problems. The success of our coverage has always been driven by pressure up front. The success of our ILB, safety and corner blitzes has been driven by the other teams having to roll protection toward our OLBs. The position is always a need unless we have 2 solid starters ready to go for the upcoming season. Even then, we'd better be sure that the next guy up is solid as well. The group of players that you've mentioned provides nowhere near enough certainty of production to take OLB out of the picture in the early rounds of the draft. Yes, sometimes these kinds of guys work out in the long run, but the probability is not high enough to say that OLB is not a position of need. The front office needs to make absolutely sure that they give DL the tools he needs to get pressure. If some of the guys you've mentioned DO work out, even better. At a position like OLB, I would rather have the cupboard overflowing than bare.

Right now every single OLB that we have (including Worilds until free agency opens up) come with question marks. We can trot a bunch of different players out there and it won't matter unless 2 of them are difference makers.

17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i agree steel elvis but even a first rounder need time to develope , we need to rent one in free agency after june cuts

18. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    That's what I'm thinking as well. Shaun Phillips played for Denver last season under a 1 year/1.4 million contract after having a 9.5 sack season the previous year in San Diego. John Abraham signed a 2 year/4.6 million dollar contract with Arizona last year. $3 million of that was his 2014 salary, so the deal was essentially zero risk for the Cards. Rentals are available.

Also, Worilds himself may be a rental option. I find it hard to believe that someone is going to look at his resume and injury history and shell out a ton of guaranteed dollars. If he doesn't like what he's seeing for long-term offers, a 1 year, $3-4 million fully guaranteed deal to play one more year as the starter in a system he knows could be his best path to securing a lucrative long-term deal in 2015.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    thats my point, any rookie is no guarantee of anything. these players have some NFL coaching in their resume' already. a big plus in my book. we can only keep so many. i'd prefer a guy like van noy that can give you a much better overall game then a guy that can rush the qb only. since we have two diferent skill sets required for each side of the defense. we are lacking the right side OLB that can do much more. thats where worilds failed. he and woodley are pretty limited in their game. not every LB can do it all. JJ will be a TBD type player. DL also wants more pass rush from the DE position so things are slightly different than we have been used to over the years here. attoauchu is more comfortable in a hand on the ground scenario and has said that. he's more in the mold of woodley and worilds. whats nice about him though is for a couple years before last year, he was in a 3-4 as an OLB. last year they went to a 4-3 with him as a DE. i think we need another guy to play more of a complete OLB role with coverage skills too. this isn't the same old okie defense they have played here for years. the change in the league has brought on a change in our scheme and what we expect it to do nowdays. they better do their homework on these guys and get one that can do what we desire, so we don't have keep drafting OLB'ers every year. we need a DE to make our LB'ers go to but a guy that can get to the qb. it's as important as any position for this to work.:cool:

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was thinking the same thing with the Oline.

Oh no I didnt!

Sorry Mac, just kidding :lolol:

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    thats so wrong. LOL :smiley1:

we only have one ben to protect. do you really want adams being that protection? do you think ben does? he'll never make the current contract much less an extension. please stay healthy and on the field beachum because if we've learned anything over the last 2-3 years is adams and gilbert can't play that side. sorry elvis didn't mean to highjack your thread.:cool:

22. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol:

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ask yourselves and be honest,barring injuries
    Are the Pgh Steelers in the same
    ball park as the Seahawks/Niners?
    We have to get back to be entertaining
    and intimidating.Our whole roster has got
    to improve.KC/MT and their scouts should
    be watching league wide, players that make our
    team better.Lets hope they are?

24. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I'm was hoping for larry webster, but I think his combine performance has probably put him out of our reach

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    with this tagging of worilds for a year maybe we do get a higher pick at OLB and it gives us a year to get him up to speed and gives us another year to get JJ up to speed. this is where carter, westerman may come in handy for a year. a seasoned backup just in case.:cool: