1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

5 moves the Steelers need to make to win the Super Bowl next season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerEmpire, Jan 23, 2017.

1. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
  2. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Number 1 should have been "don't pay zone D against Brady". But yeah, we need to throw some money at the defense, pass rusher and a ball hawk in the secondary. Harrison, Cockrell, Timmons, Mitchell are all good players but not game changers. We need smart ball hawking playmakers in the secondary especially if we want to get past NE. If something doesn't change soon then get used to being content with huge regular season stats and dissapointment in January.

3. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    If the Steelers do indeed have 42 million in cap space then they really should make a decent effort to go out and sign at least 1 or maybe 2 free agents on defense that can make a big difference.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

Get rid of Lawrence Timmons?

That just throws a monkey wrench into Pittsburgh draft plans. :roflmao::lolol:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree with most of this, except the free agent part as listed. Getting into a bidding war just because of cap space is a Daniel Snyder move. It generally provides poor results.

Now I know this is easier said than done, but we need to make free agent type acquisitions such as Kevin Green, James Farrior, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    what the hell? keep cockrell? let Timmons go? flip those and I agree lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed.

The previous four super bowl winners had scoring defenses in the top five.

Pittsburgh has to get back to investing in the defense again. Draft and free agency has to be a home run yet again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    • Like Like x 4
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed.

Very seldom do I blame the coaching staff.

However, they are not receiving a pass from me this time. Butler and Haley especially. This is not to say they are entirely to blame but they will get their fair share from me.

As I stated in another thread, it does not matter how much talent a team has. This is not NCAA FBS-I College Football where talent often determines who wins the big game. This is the NFL; a professional sports team driven league where everything and everyone has to be in conplete unison to achieve the ultimate goal.

Coaching has to do its part to assist the players. Clearly that was not the case against New England. Should this continue considering we face them next season, expect more of the same.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Very good and spot on. This horrible loss was primarily on the coaching. They didn't put the players in a position to be successful. Hadn't seen the flea flicker before??? Puhleaze!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Timmons can still play, but he makes too much money for what he is worth, and he will be a liability in pass coverage running down field.

It 50/50 to me if he should stay or go.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

There is plenty more I will dissect later in the week for the site but as it stands currently, a glitched phone does not do me any favors. :@

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Draft a press CB
    Draft Mitchell's replacement at safety
    Draft a DL who can pass rush
    Draft a OLB or 2

14. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Steelers need to draft a LOT better. To go from this group to what we have now is sad.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    How big is Ben's window? We may need to sign some FA's pronto.

16. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I agree with some of the article, but he kept writing the team needed to get younger on D. Interesting. Tuitt, Hargrave, Shazier, Dupree, Cockrell, Burns, and Davis. That is 7 starters from the last 3 drafts....Heyward and Mitchell are NOT old. That leaves Timmons and Harriison. Not exactly a D that needs major age changes.

17. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    A graphic was shown during the game, saying we've got the 7th-youngest defense in the league.