1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

4 round mock

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Jan 20, 2014.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm too lazy to do a 7 round mock so here's a shorter one
    1.Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State or Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
    2.Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE Washington or Troy Niklas TE Notre Dame
    3.Deone Bucannon S Washington State or Mike Sam OLB Missouri
    4.Donte Moncrief WR Ole Miss or Davante Adams WR Fresno State

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I like most of the names you have above. I just don't know if Moncfrief or Adams last until the 4th round though. I currently have both as a 2nd rounders, but it is still early.

Based on your options above, I would go:

1. CB Gilbert
    2. TE Seferian-Jenkins
    3. S Deone Bucannon
    4. I think better 4th round options could include Ryan Grant (Tulane) or Cody Latimer (Indiana)

I'm not crazy about CB in Round 1, but if you get Gilbert than I can live with it as I believe he is the best CB in the draft. This draft sures up the secondary while getting Ben some BIG weapons.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    a big wr is fine, but not just in height. what makes boldin so good and a few others is their strength too. I do like moncrief as far as strength goes, even without the 6-5 height. I've seen him more around the 3rd though. which I think would be a steal. I also like coleman around that round.

I really don't understand two wr picks last year if we are going right back to get one this year. those picks could have been better served at other positions, if we aren't going to give them a chance to see what they can do. a bit of a head scratcher to me. were these just depth picks? bad move if they were as far as I'm concerned.

I also still like bailey as a safety too. bucannon could be effective though. it will take several to equal what troy and clark have done here. we should get at least 12 guys on defense to offset guys like that. LOL maybe the league will give us that exemption?

I do think saferian- Jenkins fits us better than amaro or ebron. he is the better blocker. if he's to take over for heath eventually he will have to be very good at it.:cool:

4. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I believe we drafted Wheaton to replace Sanders, who no doubt the Steelers knew they were parting ways with eventually.

Now, do we want Cotchery as the #2 or the #4 (possibly temporarily the #3 while Wheaton gets up to speed)? I think we have a big hole for a #2 WR, and I hope we come out of the draft with that player.

5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I agree NB. Wheaton seems to be best suited for the slot, so we would need a guy that fits the bill for a #2. Honestly I like Matthews, Moncreif, and Robinson the best for an all around #2 (at least one of these guys should be there at our pick in round 2), but Evans would be tough to pass on if he is there at 15.

6. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I think that is going to be the biggest argument against taking a WR in Round 1. There is going to be a GREAT crop there in Round 2 to choose from. I know that is why Numbah is saying take a TE in Round 1 and then come back and grab a WR in Round 2. And certainly you could grab the best CB, or the best OG at #15 then come back and take WR in Round 2. Certainly realistic outcomes.

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I kind of agree and have been saying this. I have a feeling they wait on a WR. if one of these guys at the top had a better all around game and a little better speed, we would look much harder. coleman, Washington, Bryant, janis have some size and speed combo, but are just not as polished, whether it was because of where they played, qb'ing, coaching or was second fiddle to say Sammy watkins.

with wheaton and if and that's a biggy, if cotchery could be re-signed, I think it could buy us a little more time to bring one of these guys along in the mix a little more slowly and end up with a better product. you just can't teach speed, and this group brings a lot more of that then the first group being looked at as #1's that are in our range.

their numbers would be a little better if they had better qb'ing and teams around them too. this is where the scouting of guys like these 4 will come into play. route running, hands, brains, blocking and upside. ben is funny about his receivers. it takes him time to trust guys. he and AB have it. he and cotchery have it. he and heath have it. I'm not sure he ever felt that with wheaton yet. he would start getting that with sanders just about the time sanders would get hurt. it took him a little time to get it with AB too. protect ben and he can make, guys better receivers. :cool:

8. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree NB..

Even if we go for a DB or OL prospect the value at WR is set up perfectly for where we select in the 2nd round IMO. It's early and the 40 times will determine who moves up, down or stays put in the draft process. Having said that, I think that there's a good possibility that we could be selecting from Matthews, Robinson, Coleman or Moncrief. All prospects I like at this stage.

I go TE in the 1st round because unlike the WR's I think that Ebron and to a lesser extent Amaro are that much better than the rest of the group.

Adding Ebron and Matthews would make me happy happy happy ;)

9. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I wouldn't hate this but I think we can do more with this draft. I don't think Moncrief is there in the 4th..

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    with heath and spaeth still here, it may give us more time to bring a guy like ebron along as a blocker. again though at 15, do we want a project? that's where I have a hard time with it. I see him as more of a give and take in our offense.

he's a plus as a receiver, but will that take away our plus that is bell when he's on the field? amaro the same way. is saferian-Jenkins being the better blocker, enough of a receiver to not make it a give or take scenario?:cool:

11. K Train

K Train Member

Jan 22, 2014
    That draft would be absolutely insane.

Moncrief will likely be in the first round discussion, late first but i would LOVE to get him in the second. I think Gilbert is the best fit and most versatile of the CBs, Not sure dennard would be a good fit for this defense as it stands now.
    The thing is we need to hope wheaton can turn it around. He was BAD in his limited playing time last season. He was supposed to be able to fill the role that Washington and Wallace played their rookie year, nothing too complicated but i hoped he would have shown something
    Brown was best suited for the slot too and he showed he can do things elsewhere. I would like to see Wheaton worked in on the slot at first definitely, but i hope his ceiling is higher than that.

12. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    trade down in the first : matthews wr
    up in the second : prior fs
    3rd cp : pourifoy cb
    4 rd : justin ellis nt

then

5 rd james hurts ot
    5rdcp max bullogh ilb
    6rd prince shembo olb
    7rd crockett gilmore te

13. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    He's quite capable mac, nowhere near the "project" you're suggesting.
    Ebron get's high in the hips and doesn't finish his blocks but he's more than capable of becoming a good blocker. Seferian-Jenkins lacks a lot of Ebron's ability in the passing game.

The TE position has evolved IMO.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was also reading that Ebrons blocking had improved by the end of the season, which leads me to believe he can continue to get better at it in the pros. I don't think he is much of a project at all, just another very good weapon that defenses will have to game plan for.

I think you and I are alone on this one though, Numbah :lolol: But hey, that could be good, I was the only one who wanted to take Bell as high as we did :thumbs_up:

15. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I could live with a similar outcome BF:towel::towel:

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    ah, no you were not.;):cool:

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well then you best get on board with me and numbah if you want to be right again :D

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe i'll bring you guys over to the dark side by draft time.:emperor::darkness:our new o-line coach needs toys. :smiley1::cool:

19. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :clapping::rawk: :D

20. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    You and TTF have an uphill battle my friend...:lolol:

21. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I am of the opinion right now that we are probably going "mostly" defense in this draft. If we take a WR it better be someone who can come in and play right away, otherwise I don't see the point.

I like the first 2 picks in this mock especially. Truly, I think we might have 2 of the best players at their positions in this draft. I love Seferian-Jenkins and honestly think he is better than any other TE on the list and that included Ebron.

I don't like the safety pick. It isn't because I don't think we need a safety, it is due to him being a SS not a FS. Shamarko will never be a center field safety...that is who we now need. I think I would rather have Terrence Brooks for the FS spot and I think you can get him in round 4 or 5.