1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

30th ranking in drafting

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Aug 8, 2017.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    a bad snap once in awhile happens. warren had a bad snap in a game last year. he wasn't a rookie. by the way the steelers signed him and he's currently in our camp. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  2. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We keep talking about a LS that was takened in the 6th rd. But, no one is talking about the countless amount of db's that we have wasted draft picks on. Smh...

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I think you are on to something, I am so tired of hearing about long snappers and Dobb's that I could PUKE.
    Can we start talking about other more important, every down players and how we can be the best team we can be?

Side note, was at camp yesterday, seen JU JU with my own eyes. people you are going to really like him.
    Was watching LB drills coming up to meet/contain RB's in a run drill, after a poor attempt by TJ WATT
    Coach T, dressed him down pretty good. Seen Jerry O go over and talk to him after that attempt. I like TJ Watts size.
    Bud Dupree did not have a good practice yesterday when I was watching him, I am hoping big things from Bud. VW put a vicious lick on a RB that drew
    hoots and hollers from the defense in padded 3rd down simulation practice, Coates was on the jugs gun before practice, was working with M Bryant on second field when the rest of team
    was on the main field. James Harrison was in his usual sweat suit attire. He is huge.

Ben & AB hooked up nicely in a 1rst team vs 1rst team goal line drill. It was a laser, AB is tremendous and the biggest show boat on the team. If you
    didn't know that already. Todd Haley dressed down Ely Rodgers in a fade drill in goal line drills, was adamant about proper steps being taken.

Seen more Conner strong jersey's than anybody else's. AB a close second. Very enjoyable day, seeing the greatest team on the planet.Well attended
    practice I am guessing 5-7 thousand?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    These new draft prospects are very well trained now they know how to answer they know what answer Teams are looking for they are a lot more capable with talking to Coaches and drawing on the board than players 10 years ago...

With that said our Team could be getting fooled a bit when you couple this with the BPA approach we seem to employ ...The evidence supports that we tend to draft guys that we bring in more than most,I contend they are great self promoters and this moves them up our boards more than it should....

IMO we need to accept the weaknesses our Team has and do more targeting of fixing those based on tape and player projection not just how well they self promote ...If we did that we would have targeted higher ranking DB'S or DB'S with more potential to do certain things....We have passed up lots of talent and we have failed to move up when that talent was there..

I got clowned a season or 2 back for saying draft the QB if he was on the board and use him as leverage as Teams would move up to get him ..Sure enough after we picked Denver came a running to get him ....Just be a bit bolder and a bit more out of the box and create your draft not just play it safe and draft BPA ...

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Because its pointless. You're constantly trying to invent outside the box ways of doing things.

Just contact the team that you think is targeting a player and get picks so they can move up.

Your way is unnecessary and risky. What if they don't want that player you drafted? Now you not only wasted a pick, you're stuck with a player you didn't want and left a guy on the board you did want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    This makes zero sense to me. The Steelers aren't players when it comes to free agency yet they always field a competitive team. I guess those players are just magically appearing.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we get our share of FA's. :cool:

8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The key is Teams did want the QB and that is what was easy to see so we could have leveraged that draft and gained picks or players ...There was really zero risk , I stated it in the mock draft that Teams would move up in the end of the 1st. for him..It was simple supply and demand ...The risk was next to zero ...

We have to be creative if we intend to be ranked higher than 30th. in drafting...

9. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Not sure if 30th is fair or not, but it's clearly not been good. The health related issues, suspensions, and draft busts have all contributed to the fact that we can't win playoff games. Look at the issues we have had... lack of depth, poor secondary, zero pass rush, and lack of big plays defensively. I think everyone of these issues is directly related to the fact that we have made some really bad picks and the picks that look good can't stay healthy. This puts pressure on the depth of the team. Back ups don't typically make big plays. Complete failure drafting DB's has resulted in fewer sacks and playoff losses to good QB's.

The only reason IMO we are winning is because of our offensive weapons and O-line. Defensively we were about as inconsistent as you could get. Against the Cheatriots , we were a joke. Not all is bleak though. I think we did see flashes last year from our defense. KB probably kept the damn from completely breaking defensively but a few players stepped up and hopefully can avoid the sophomore jinx and/or stay healthy. I think we improved our depth this off season just by getting guys like Bryant and Heyward back and hopefully a couple good draft picks. Watt's play IMO will decide if we can win in the playoffs. If he isn't a legit pass rusher we won't win come playoff time. We are desperate for a playmaker on defense.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh ffs, why!?! Why the elaborate scheme?? Just call them up and get draft picks.

It makes zero sense and its a heck of a risk because now the other team has leverage.

Holy **** pwp.

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Why is because you know multiple Teams are ready to come get him and most of those Teams think they can wait as he is not on our board in their view ...So in a rare case like that take the guy control the board send other Teams into a scramble and get a lot more than you would just shopping the pick...

He was the target if you own the target you have all the chips ....Plus Teams have had bu's play a bit and look good and command a kings ransom...That's another way they could have tried to go...I like being bold not holding pat ..

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I saw the Wizard of Boz hit two long FGs tonite and the snap played no part in it whatsoever. Don't know the LS rookie's name yet, but Boz killed it down the middle both times. Good enough for me. I'd spend a 6th on that dude. I was totally against it at the time, but that's why I'm logged in here. Nice work LS Holba you helped our team and that's all I can ask.

13. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017

Nonsense. The only way it's worth spending a sixth round draft pick on a LS is if he able to snap the ball to himself AND kick the field goal. And even then he had better not miss inside of 60 yards or he should be cut the next day.

14. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    It's one thing to want a guy someone else is holding. But those teams also would have leverage in the wheel-n-dealing, because they'd know we drafted a player that We.Don't.Want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Been trying to get that through to him. :frustrated:

Its a completely reckless and pointless way to acquire draft picks.