1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

3 things steelers must do this off season:

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Diamond, Jan 4, 2020.

1. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Naturally my number one would be to sh!tcan Tomlin but we all know that isn't going to happen. But keeping Dupree will be too expensive and my guess is that he pulls a Woodley after getting paid.

IMO, the most important thing the FO needs to do is get serious about replacing Ben. That means stop drafting mid and late round QB projects and signing practice squad rejects. Sign an FA QB for next season, let Ben retire and then spend a 1st round pick next year on a legit QB. The duck, deer, dicks, dobbs, and dumbasses the FO has paraded out at backup QB for the past 5+ years has been a very unfunny joke.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn't think you were a youngster!

Ugh, yeah, that loss was brutal. My brother is a Cowboy fan, that was the first SB bet I lost to him :facepalm:

3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Do you remember this Cowher gem?

[​IMG]

4. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    HeyJim90.

Broken Record Here, Sorry: To take a chance to "turn it on for the $$$" for that final contract year is very, very risky as I stated. However, he is only human and human nature dictates behavior in funny ways. I just do not see a player half-stepping it for four years and then within the last year to turn it on. Maybe he developed a false sense of security knowing that more often than not, 1st round draft choices are going to be given more opportunities to prove themselves because of their pre-draft hype and what has been invested in them. Also, management does not want to look bad with their selection of a 1st rounder as well.

I have seen this before in which I refer to as the "Square Peg Round Hole Syndrome". Meaning, as you probably know, Management is going to "Force" this selection to fit one way or another because of the high investment that they put into a first rounder because they believe in the player's potential and they do not want to have the proverbial "Egg on their faces" as well for making a bad draft selection.

Trust me, I have seen this in other administrative aspects of work/life before. The administrator does not want to "look bad" to his/her subordinates with a particular administrative decision so instead of cutting their losses and letting go, essentially admitting they made a mistake (Oh, forbid!) they will drive the decision into the ground just to prove that their decision was a correct one. Some administrators egos are so fragile that they feel the staff will look at them as weak and incompetent when this is the farthest thing from the truth. Rather, the staff would respect you more because you are admitting a mistake instead of trying to make yourself incapable of doing such a thing. Some of their egos are just so fragile. As I say it is just "Disgusting".

Once again, this was definitely Dupree's best year by far. Good enough IMO to retain him but still "not great" . Given that, we can not afford to start over from scratch again seeking out the other OLB to compliment TJ. That will have meant all the time invested and lost with Jarvis and Bud. Nearly ten years! Plus, we do not have anyone waiting in the wings to take Bud's spot. So essentially, we would either have to pick up a top free agent or make another high draft selection at this position to develop that strong OLB Tandem we have been seeking for nearly a decade now.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I say Franchise Dupree for 2020, and pick up TJ's 5th year option for 2021.

Last year Dupree made 9mil and his tag would probably cost 15mil for 2020. Let Dupree prove in 2020 that he deserves a multi-year contract.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Once bitten twice shy baby.

7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Slap the non exclusive tag on Dupree & see if a team is stupid enough to give up draft picks for him. If not trade him before the deadline next season. Get another project in the draft.

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That tactic was absolutely a big part of the Titans winning the game. The Patriots had one more shot instead of two because it burned so much time.

9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I agree that it probably helped them win the game, but it could have backfired just as easily.
    Calculated risk I guess.

10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Don't know much about the cap, dead cap money, and restructures but what I would LIKE to happen.....
    The 5 D
    The 5 D's Dodge,Duck,Dive,Dip and Dodge

I'm not a GM, I just play one on here, but. here goes...

I " Think " Ben is done, No info or anything, just my gut, With no 1st rounder...

Cut Foster, Chick, Barron,Nix ( yep ) McDonald, Restructure or cut, Burns,Davis cut...

Try to work out a deal for Bud, If to expensive , bye.

Would rather have Hargrave...With him, Heyward , Tuiit, and Alualu...The pass rush , and DB's are better...

Oh forgot...Rotten Berry cut...

Make up your team after these moves, But don't go all in...Not saying tank but...QB " best one available " ...Maybe even move up again...In 2021...

Maybe , Take a couple bumps...And reload

11. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    My opinion is that it wasn't the reason they won the game. It could also be a reason they loss the game with that strategy.

Edelman dropped a key pass. Brady wasn't "old" Brady. Clutch Brady would had won that game. There certainly was enough time for the Pats to have the opportunity to win.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  12. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If the Titans didnt have Henry they lose, he was their offense, the QB was iffy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

I still wouldn't risk it. ( if he's asking for crazy money, for 1 season of improvement) I would offer the tag and say do it again and we'll talk a deal. Next season's schedule is looking easier than this years. So they might get fooled again if he goes the tag route.

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Oh, it could have definitely backfired, but it didn't. As I said, the time they ran off reduced the number of opportunities the Patriots had to rally from two to one. When you only have one shot, that means one mistake can bury you. In this case, that mistake was a drop by Edelman.

15. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Jim90.

Yeah, I guess if Management is bent on keeping him then I like your idea: "do it again and we'll talk a deal." I still think, that in part, his "turnaround" may have been attributed to a change in coaching. I love Joey Porter as player but not so much as a coach. Maybe, he was keeping Bud back from reaching his full potential? I just looked up on the Official Steelers web site who is the OLB coach but I did not see anyone mentioned. Any idea who is coaching the OLBs? It is ironic though, that Porter is gone and now Bud seems to be flourishing. :shrug:

Anyway you slice it, I am glad that Bud has made a turnaround. Not a complete one IMO but significant. Maybe the best is still yet to come! Him and TJ together can wreck havoc for years to come hopefully. Like I stated, we have no one behind Bud and I do not want to dedicate another near ten years to find his replacement. Remember four years for Jarvis and five for Bud. Ugh! What a waste of time. Hopefully, we have this situation locked down and can move onto other team business.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelAU

SteelAU Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    3 things won't cover all the things the Steelers will need to do: So let's do 3 per side of the ball:

Offense: 1. bring in a QB coach 2. Bring in a veteran QB as #3 3. draft a good RB with speed and power to complement Benny. Conner wll play but let him go after his final rookie contract year. Benny is NOT an every down back, and definitely doesn't have enough speed

Defense: 1. sign Dupree 2. unload Barron(but probably won't happen w that contract) 3. use Spillane more at LB.

Special teams: get rid of Berry. the end of the season he was horrible. need more consistency at P.

17. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Henry had a great game. Tannehill made s few plays. They didn't need to rely as much on Tannehill because of the run game. Tannehill only had 15 passing attempts. The Titans probably would had needed to pass more if the Pats scored more.

Fortunately the Titans were not facing great/clutch Brady.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Wade Phillips not returning to the Rams. What say you Mr. Rooney?

• Like Like x 1
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Butler and DL coach Dunbar are tag teaming with coaching the OLBs.

20. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe Keith Butler, ? he was the LB coach before taking over DL.. maybe it was a case of , if you want things done right you'll have to do it yourself?

21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Vrabels game plan wasnt to throw the ball 30 times, and since the pats didnt stop henry why not run the ball down their throat? I picked the titans to win this game and said they would smash their defense with henry, their defense shut brady down and they were up for the challenge. And if they have to throw the ball against the rats they will mix the pass with the run, I think they will give the rats a tough game this saturday....

22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Three things...

1. Get another Running Back to go with Snell, White and Samuels
    2. Try to get the best Vet QB available to go with Rudolph and Roethlisberger. If this is not doable, keep Lynch and get a QB coach.
    3. Get an OLB in the draft or FA. Bud is gone in March.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Here is my reasoning: How many games do you think most people would say a QB would be expected to win (percentage wise) who had never played in a real game before vs a QB who has had previous game experience who was good enough to be signed? Who would you think most people would prefer? How many teams have done this before on purpose to begin a season? I don't know the answer but my gut tells me not many and if any did, and had a successful season, that is the exception vs the standard.

24. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I picked the ratbirds to win it all around week 8. Hate to say it but that team is very well balanced.

25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    But their starters havent played in 3 weeks, it will take them a half to get in rhythm....