1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

3 Takeaways from the Pittsburgh Steelers' 2012 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CDN Steeler Nation, May 1, 2012.

1. CDN Steeler Nation

CDN Steeler Nation Well-Known Member

May 1, 2012
    Decent read with good point on all 3 facts the Ta'Amu part is pretty obvious and I think alot of us in the Nation wouldn't mind seeing the future a little early

Plus Rainey stats even though not the best in the world do bring to light the possibilities that we have not had since Willie Parker was fresh and fast

Rainey averaged five yards per carry as a Florida Gator last year (and has averaged 7.8, 6.5 and 7.2 in the three preceding years), with 171 rushes for 861 yards and two scores. He also caught 31 passes for 381 yards and two touchdowns, and he returned 17 punts for a total of 106 yards and a score.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1168179-3-takeaways-from-the-pittsburgh-steelers-2012-nfl-draft

2. jfeust

jfeust New Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Glad they pointed out Paulson the TE. I really think this kid has some amazing abilities. He has the hands and the physical gifts to be one of those surprise stand out Tight Ends. I think he'll see more playing time than people think this year, and then in a year or two becomes our #1 TE, and potential star.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4RAZASJumA

3. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I like this pick, a 7th rounder. It could be a steal, David Paulson, TE from Oregon. After watching his highlight film, I could see Big Ben using Miller and Paulson like the Pats use Gronkowski and Hernandez. It could work with good play design and play calling from a good OC. Hopefully Haley can put it together.

As far as Alameda Ta'amu is concerned, its time to let Big Snack go. Coach Mitchell can coach him up. Steelers might save about 3 million by letting Hampton go. Its time!!

The Rainey pick up was amazing along with Adams. Thank God for the Steelers management, they are so smart. How about the stupid Redskins for trading with us just in time to select Ta'amu. They could have drafted him at that spot. Think about this, we play the Skins this year in Pittsburgh. Im looking forward to seeing Ta'amu dominant their line! Laughing all the way to the bank....

4. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I don't think Ta'Amu will start right away, but he probably will see the field more than most rookies (especially 4th rounders). Having Casey and Ta'Amu will be great in that it will keep them both fresh, and let Ta'Amu learn for a year.

5. CDN Steeler Nation

May 1, 2012

Thats what I am hoping for and everyone wants as well i'd say train and learn behind Big Snack and become the new Big Snack 2.0

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Definitely. No reason to drop Casey now. Keeping him benefits everyone on the field, and I'm sure any player will tell you, learning from a player and learning from a coach just isn't the same thing. And I'd rather have him learn from Casey than McLendon, for obvious reasons.

7. CDN Steeler Nation

May 1, 2012

HugeSnack you just named the #1 reason id rather have a injured Casey train this Beast because of his technique and knowledge of the system..coaches only elevate a player so far they like every other profession require peer support

8. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Three takeaways? You must definitely be talking about the draft because you're certainly not talking about the defense.

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    :lolol:

Who knows - maybe our DBs surprise us this year? :wizard:

10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    They were making some plays last year on the ball. Now they have a year in the system and can really start to go for some things more. I'm thinking the take-aways are going to go up! What's scary is that they were able to be ranked so high and go 12-4 without that many.

11. CDN Steeler Nation

May 1, 2012

We were the first team in NFL history with a Win to Loss of 12-4 and going to the playoffs with a turn over/take away ration that was negative ever ... i'm pretty sure. Everyone had a bad year last year Troy dropping balls and Gay making the interceptions !!!! Odd year it was

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we don't want to make a habit of this. :( :cool:

13. CDN Steeler Nation

May 1, 2012
    we don't want to make a habit of this. :( :cool:[/quote:1m20gjej]

:praying: thats what i'm doing

14. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

HugeSnack you just named the #1 reason id rather have a injured Casey train this Beast because of his technique and knowledge of the system..coaches only elevate a player so far they like every other profession require peer support[/quote:1rhvuaxf]

I've never understood the concept of players who are on their way out helping to train their replacements. I certainly wouldn't do so. Look at it this way. Suppose your employer came to you and said we're going to be letting you go soon but before we do we want you to train Zeke over there so that he can do your job when you're gone. How many of you would do it? Given that, how are the guys in the nfl any different than we are?

15. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

HugeSnack you just named the #1 reason id rather have a injured Casey train this Beast because of his technique and knowledge of the system..coaches only elevate a player so far they like every other profession require peer support[/quote:1x7ytqwy]

I've never understood the concept of players who are on their way out helping to train their replacements. I certainly wouldn't do so. Look at it this way. Suppose your employer came to you and said we're going to be letting you go soon but before we do we want you to train Zeke over there so that he can do your job when you're gone. How many of you would do it? Given that, how are the guys in the nfl any different than we are?[/quote:1x7ytqwy]
    It's not, "We're firing you, now train your replacement." It's, "You're going to be gone and retired after this year or the next no matter what happens, no matter what either of us want, and we both know it. For this year, you'll start as long as you're healthy, but we'd like it if you helped your replacement learn the ropes so that we can continue to excel after you're gone." And if Casey doesn't think the Steelers have been fair to him all this time, he can consider the fact that they drafted him far higher than he was expected to go, paid him very well over the years including a 3 year contract while most of the fans were screaming to let him go because he was washed up, and until 2012 did not draft a single nose tackle AT ALL, in any round, since drafting him in 2001. They've also sung his praises publicly at every opportunity, calling him the best in the league while the mainstream has always had guys like Shaun Rogers, Kevin Williams, Albert Haynesworth, Vince Wilfork, Jamal Williams, and more than a few other guys ranked ahead of him. They don't do that for just anyone.

I believe Casey appreciates the team in return. He took a pay cut this year to help them out. He knows everyone's time comes eventually, and his is coming soon. When I left my last job, which I didn't want to do, I took great pains to help my replacement in every way possible. Not because I loved my employers, but because I cared about the work I did. I'm betting Casey feels the same. I certainly hope he doesn't view the world the same way you and Brett Favre do.

16. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Okay, just a couple of points to make here:

1. If Mike Adams works out, he was a very smart pick. Look at the year we drafted Woodley and Timmons...who made the larger first year impact? I think Adams impact IF, and that is a big IF, he plays to his potential, he will move Gilbert somewhere else on the line which in turn may move Colon.

2. Rainey I think can contribute if used correctly. The same with Paulson. I think Paulson has a knack for getting open. He is a true 2nd target for Ben all over the field from the TE position. For me that might be the most competitive position in camp. Miller is a given, but we will keep only 2 others probably. Pope, Paulson, Saunders, and Johnson will all want spots. There is only room for 2.

3. Hampton will not and CAN NOT get cut. This is based on his contract restructure. The deal was he would restructure if they would let him play another year. He may end up on the IR all year, but he won't be cut. He may end up on the PUP until week 13. Who knows, but he won't be cut.

17. Coke Oven

Jan 2, 2012
    "I believe Casey appreciates the team in return. He took a pay cut this year to help them out. He knows everyone's time comes eventually, and his is coming soon. When I left my last job, which I didn't want to do, I took great pains to help my replacement in every way possible. Not because I loved my employers, but because I cared about the work I did. I'm betting Casey feels the same. I certainly hope he doesn't view the world the same way you and Brett Favre do."

Did Casey take a pay cut to help them out or was it either that or nothing at all for him? I don't know the details of his contract.

I've also trained my replacement when I left jobs voluntarily. Not because I loved my employers or my work but in order to use that company as a positive reference on my resume. But yes indeed I do see the world the way that Brett Favre does. Our perspective depends on what our life experiences have been. You may find this hard to believe but I was once let go by a company in the South when my employers found out that I, a white guy, wasn't a bigot like them.

18. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    With me living in the south and all I'd like to hear the company that did that, if you don't mind. Just curious

19. Coke Oven

Jan 2, 2012
    I'll PM it to you.

20. CDN Steeler Nation

May 1, 2012

HugeSnack you just named the #1 reason id rather have a injured Casey train this Beast because of his technique and knowledge of the system..coaches only elevate a player so far they like every other profession require peer support[/quote:dvyx7ks4]

I've never understood the concept of players who are on their way out helping to train their replacements. I certainly wouldn't do so. Look at it this way. Suppose your employer came to you and said we're going to be letting you go soon but before we do we want you to train Zeke over there so that he can do your job when you're gone. How many of you would do it? Given that, how are the guys in the nfl any different than we are?[/quote:dvyx7ks4]

Because its called professionalism its what you do ...some dont act like a pro and some do !

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Moo's playbook is probably pretty thin. one page. 1. Seek out and destroy and take with you everything in your path. The End. :shrug: :cool:

22. CDN Steeler Nation

May 1, 2012

:herewego: