1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

3 Chances to Win Game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DSteelerCT, Dec 18, 2017.

1. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Blame the refs or lame NFL rules all we want, but this team had three chances to win the game and didn't convert either time.

1. Offense gets the ball with 3:30 left and a 5 point lead. Convert one first down and chances of winning are extremely high. Convert twice and it's game over
    2. Sean Davis. Yes, he got beat all day long by Gronk. It Gronk is the best TE in NFL history so gotta cut him some slack. He had the chance to make up for his bad day by making the easiest interception he'll ever have, but he didn't make the play.
    3. James, sure the rules are lame, but you know what, don't bobble the ball, especially when you weren't even touched by the D! The Steelers have signed Green and McDonald with you on the roster. Had the chance to show them that you could come up big, and you didn't.
    We all want to focus on that call, because it's a convenient excuse. Bottom line, if the team converts just one of these situations they win. Instead, the Pats went 3-3 in these situations, which is why the Steelers are their bitches....like it or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I thought the offense went way too conservative the entire second half. Cannot play not to lose vs Tom Brady.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I know he was moving away from the ball, but Davis absolutely has to grab that pick. To me, that was the game. So, I completely agree.

But, I cannot, and I will not blame James for that "drop." He was making a strong, football-minded play to win the game. I can't fault him AND his hand was under the damn thing the whole time. Idiotic call, screw the stupid rules.

Also, Haley has to learn to STOP BEING CONSERVATIVE WITH THE GAME ON THE LINE. There is a time and place for everything, but he's becoming more and more annoying.

4. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I do agree ,if that situation was flipped and TB has the ball,there is no way we get the ball back , and definitely not 3 and out

5. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Bottom line Steelers let up late in fourth quarter and you can't do that against a team who has the mind set that they own you and can beat you on their worst day. We had opportunities to put points on the board and didn't. Players have to be more aggressive and fight for yards and not be 4 -1 in their territory that's a killer!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Basically what we have been doing to teams, happened to us.

Pats= better version of steelers

Steelers "I own you all"

pats "lol"

7. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Flashback of how Bill Cowher used to end games

8. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    They should have gone for it on 4th and 1 with 2:30 to play.

I'm sure coaches think, let the D make a play to win the game. Problem is, if they don't then you lose. If you go for it, that allows the offense to make a play to win the game. If they don't, then the D still has their chance. Bottom line, you give yourself 2 chances to win the game, instead of 1.

Additionally, if both fail, you probably have even more time on the clock to drive to tie/win the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I agree with the sentiment, but ... both teams leave some plays on the field. You just can't get perfect play out of every player, every play. We left some chances, they left some chances. I don't think we lost the game because of execution, though -- I feel the first-down run on the 3-and-out killed us.

10. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    This. As much as I hate it, I agree 100% with what Romo said there - I have Ben behind center, I'm calling 3 pass plays. The Pats *know* you're going to try to run to kill the clock, so you already have the deck stacked against you there.

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That was not an easy interception for Davis. He was going the other way and simply didn't get his hands around. Yes, it's a play you'd like to see him make, but it wasn't easy.

James did make a mistake on that catch, but it is an understandable mistake.

I hated the play-calling on the three-and-out, but that wasn't all on Haley. The first-down play should have been a pass. The third-down play absolutely has to be a pass to a guy who is past the first-down marker. Roethlisberger had time. If he had followed his progression, Rogers was open on the slant past the marker. If they throw three incomplete passes, so be it. More time to respond if Brady does lead them to a touchdown. They clearly lived in their fears with that first-down run.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    You have to play to a teams strengths. We have a much better offense right now than defense with the injuries. Need to play NE like you are down points until the clock hits 0. Unfortunately Mikey still doesn’t understand that. Also Villanueva really fed us that drive from the goaline don’t forget that moment. We were up 8 and putting them on their heels.

13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Say it all you want but Cowher used to close out games. He had like a 90-1-1 record when 11 point lead was achieved at any point of a game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    There wasn't anything conservative about that fake spike at the end of the game. :lolol:

15. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He had the D and the Bus to get away with that conservative BS. Tomlin doesn't, they need to keep their foot down on the pedal.