1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2nd round - WR pick?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Apr 28, 2017.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I didn't like this pick at first. Then I thought about how badly we needed another decent receiver in the AFCCG.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm a USC fan and have watched Smith play his whole career, those first 2 games USC started the wrong QB who couldn't get the ball to guys like JuJu. He also had some nagging injuries, he would try to come back early.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    A defensive game plan that involved blitzing nearly every pass play was needed much more.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Blitzing is not the way to get Brady. Pressure from the front 4-5 and tight coverage works. We didn't have the pressure from the front 4-5. Blitzing just gives him an open receiver from wherever we blitzed.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We would have needed the Steel Curtain to have won that game with how little the offense produced.

6. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Surprised because Senquez Golson is so worthless ...how is this guy still on the roster?? Papa Smurf is taller than him. We need corner-backs, not wide-receivers. I think Bryant may be right, I can't see Coates making the team if everyone is healthy...

7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

Choo Choo! (my new nickname for him)

9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Man when Goodell sees this he's gonna get SO fined! LOL! Sweet hit though!

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That was Hines Ward-esq for sure. Crushed him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Brown - Great
    Bryant - Good but proven to be high risk and unreliable
    Rogers - makes plays but average
    Coates - fast but DROPS passes.. pretty average
    Hunter, Dhb, Hamilton - average to below average... same with Ayers.

Ultimately the Steelers need another WR IMO to add to the mix. I have faith in the front office that they evaluated the players available and decided this was the best route for the 2nd round.

I'm optimistic with what it means to add more competition at the WR spot. Light a fire under Bryant and make the guy play like we all know he's capable of.

Another target for Ben.. I'm not complaining, and hopefully he's not either. It'd be nice to have a couple more years out of Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

:this!:

After Brown, the Steelers have a lot of average receivers. Even if Bryant is everything we want him to be, that would be great. But depth never hurts. With Ju-Ju's size, what if he becomes a beast like Dez Bryant? Between Brown's route running and all-around game, Bryant's quickness, Ju-Ju's size could make for a trio that is just impossible to cover. And if the defense wants to take a step back in order to do so, Bell will carry it for first downs.

13. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    for sure.. Brady loves the blitz.. amendola, edelman and gronk worked the blitzes with brady to perfection.

14. coldrolled

Dec 1, 2014
    Great clip... JuJu and Bell will be best friends...

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    After watching all of JuJu's games that are posted on draft breakdown, and reading about how - at 17 years old - he went from being a recruit at safety to being a legit FBS receiving threat as a true freshman, I am sold that we got a gem. His style of play projects well to making a day 1 impact. He is physical, and he makes contested catches. He will need polishing in his route running, and his blocking technique, but this is a guy who has the traits to be productive with a decent rookie offseason. Ben is going to love him in the red zone and on 3rd downs. My over/under for him is 40 catches.

16. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    In year 1?

17. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    It's a fact of the NFL... and good teams.

Players are part of packages now. The team uses packages based on both situational football and opponent strengths/weaknesses.

Brown is the #1
    Everyone else is situational.

Of course the situations for which Martavis should/would be on the field are going to be far more than JuJu, or Hunter, or DHB

18. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I get the ProFootballWeekly Draft Guide in the mail every year, and I didn't even realize they had JuJu rated as their top receiver this year.

IMG_2172.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Why not? Anquan Boldin had 101 receptions for 1377 yards and 8 TDs and was a pro bowler his rookie year, I dont think schuster will get that many targets but should get at least 40 receptions....

20. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Bryant is one joint away from never playing again. I don't mind it as great insurance. Coates is always hurt, Rogers is solid but more of a slot guy, and Ayers is unproven. DHB is more of a special teams guy.

21. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I like the kid a lot. I just wanted more DB help. Whatever, JuJu is here so let's hope he dominates.

Also, is there a law that requires a WR named Mike Williams has to be drafted high every year?

22. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Anquan Bolin didn't go to a team with a loaded WR corps. It had nothing against Juju. He is a fine player. In the right situation I think he would have competed against any rookie WR in receptions.

The reality of the situation in Pittsburgh is very different.

Ben is contemplating retirement. Do we really want him dropping back 600+ tines?

Other than injuries occurring, I can't see how JuJu gets more than 20 or 25 receptions.

I'm just trying to temper expectations. I don't think anyone should be mad or disappointed that if at the end of the year Juju has 20 receptions for 225 yards and 2 TDS. That's what I would expect.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Man, liking this pick more and more by the day. 1st Rd talent at the end of Rd 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. coldrolled

Dec 1, 2014
    After the 2015 season we had the smartest best WR coach in the league.. A drafting guru... That changed how??
    I think they know what their doing with Juju as the pick... He fits an empty hole on this team. The rest of the receivers not named Brown, Bryant, Coates, JuJu... will be battling for their careers.

25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yes. In my view, if he has a decent offseason and camp he will be our 3rd most viable WR day 1. I think Ben's going to like him a lot.