1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2nd round targets

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by GB_Steel, Apr 29, 2016.

1. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'll get some names later, but I'm thinking it'd be good to get an edge guy before they all disappear. Will have to take a look at who's left and the depth of each position.

I'd also double-dip at CB if Fuller or Alexander fall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016

GB_Steel, Good call on Artie Burns. You had him pegged ahead of Alexander and Fuller and you were spot on. :thumbs_up:

There are a lot of DT's still available and that might be were our best value is in the second round. Then come back and go safety in the third.

3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's hard to believe that all billings, robinson, and reed are still there

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I Know this is really, really unlikely, but what if Jack and Billings are both there at the pick, who do you take?

5. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Names I wouldn't mind hearing called with the 58th pick:

Joshua Perry, OLB, Ohio State

Vonn Bell, S, Ohio State

Pharoh Cooper, WR, South Carolina

Kyler Fackrell, LB, Utah State

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    S Su'a Cravens
    S Vonn Bell
    S TJ Green
    S Darian Thompson
    DT Andrew Billings
    DT Jarran Reed
    DT A'Shawn Robinson
    OLB Emmanuel Ogbah
    OLB Noah Spence
    OLB Kamalei Correa
    OLB Shillique Calhoun

I'm focusing on a S or an OLB in round 2, unless one of those DTs fell.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    Yup, I'm thinking safety in the third now since we got CB in round 1. DL would make a ton of sense as a value pick, and edge (either 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB) would be nice as there just aren't that many in this draft.

Not thinking much for offense, but would be happy with Sterling Shepard if he were to make it that far, or Christian Westerman. I don't think any of the top OT's make it to us, and we don't really need a TE. RB would make some sense, but I like what we have in Touissant too much to spend a 2nd round pick on a guy.

8. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016

Not really.EVerybody can't fit into those 31 draft spots. If you think about it, how many guys did they say were first round picks? 40? LOL.

9. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Steelers need their ROLB of the future, so they don't get stuck paying JJ 8M in 2017...

10. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I think Touissant still is valuable too. You think Shepard would be there when we pick? Wow. It would be hard to pass on him just on value alone but we've got to stay the course on fixing and upgrading our defense.

11. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    Trying to keep it a little short and somewhat realistic, but who the hell knows at this point?

Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor (of course!)
    Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma
    Myles Jack, OLB, UCLA (he fell this far)
    Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State

I'd be happy with a lot of other guys, but I'm thinking one of those four above might actually happen.

12. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Emmanuel Ogbah would be a good get.

Do you think it's unrealistic to find a OLB prospect in our UDFA? I"m just exploring options because we've got to do something with JJ bust situation.

13. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    Shepard would be tough, but I think with that 1st round run on WR's a lot of teams that needed one got one, and not many left that need one are looking for a guy they may think is slot-only in Shepard. I think he comes in and makes it work from Day 1. While I agree our defense needs some more talent, I also think we need to keep our strength strong if we have the chance. I don't think I'd get cute and draft a Braxton Miller in the 2nd, but Shepard is too polished to not give serious thought to.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Billings
    Spence

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Fugitive60

Apr 21, 2016
    Exercising the 5th year option on J. Jones guarantees his salary only in case of injury. He can still be cut next year.

16. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    How would Sheppard get past the Bengals? The Bengals are in bad need of some WR prospects.

17. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    Not unrealistic at all. there may be a couple that go undrafted that could be someone in the league. Maybe the dude from Stony Brook? Or Texas-El Paso? Personally I think Chick is our new starting ROLB if Jarvis bails (or is booted).

I like Ogbah's reported demeanor. Reminds me a lot of Woodley's mentality when he came out, a destroyer. I like that. Probably a main reason why James Harrison has been so good for so long. Not saying that Ogbah is Dr. Doom or anything, but of all the edge guys in the draft, from what I've read, it seems like he'd be the most intent on evil.

18. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Yeah, but rarely are 1st year players effective, and they're in SB mode now. Need someone this year and scrape by with James/JJ during the season, and have the replacement have a year under his belt.

19. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    Good question. Maybe they go in-state for Michael Thomas or Braxton Miller. Charon Peake is out there and could be the best WR #1 in this draft if things come together. I think there are some options out there that may cause teams to bypass Shepard.

20. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    If Spence is still there, would you roll the dice on him, GB? I would. I definitely didn't want him in the first, but I'd take a chance on him in the second.

21. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    Heck yes I would. No hesitation I'd snag him right up.

22. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I'd also add:
    A'Shawn Robinson
    Vonn Bell
    Nick Martin

23. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I would say this...if Billings somehow falls to us in the 2nd, it makes the Burns pick a lot less of a reach.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Burns isn't as much of a reach as some would think. But I know where your coming from; there were very few who talked of him to us in the first round.

So many good prospects left on the board. The second round should really be fun.

25. Fugitive60

Apr 21, 2016
    Not saying they shouldn't draft an outside linebacker; I'm fully in favor of it. I think they exercise Jones' option in any case. Unless they want to motivate him by making him play out of his mind to get a big payday somewhere else. Then, I'm all for not doing it.