1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

27 days out

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Apr 3, 2015.

1. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd be all-in on taking Ray or Beasley, or even Gregory if any fell. I'm not on Dupree (although wouldn't hate it, he offers tremendous potential), and definitely not on any of the second tier guys like Harold, Mauldin, etc.

The wildcard in this OLB talk is Tuitt. With a full offseason away from Notre Dame classes to work on his professional body, I think by default will result in better production from whichever OLB is behind him (Moats, as of now.) Assuming JJ stays healthy he'll bring decent production, at least more than what we got last year from our OLB's. That's two average OLB's stacked behind a good/great DE pair. I'd like to stack a good or great OLB behind those DE's, but I think it's more imperative to solidify the CB position early if a guy is there.

2. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Too late. :blink:

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Other than Dupree, we're in agreement. I don't really like Harold much, and other guys like Orchard, Kikaha, Mauldin etc. still seem like "Robins" to me. Gregory is a Batman without a doubt, but is a stoned Batman going to do us any good? As good as he is on the field, I wonder if he's worth the risk - even if we're getting a top 10 talent at pick #22.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You said that about last year about OLBs like Soto and other guys whose names I can't even remember because they underwhelmed so much. Yeah, a player here and there from the futures contracts can be solid, but it's pretty rare. Too rare to say "don't draft XYZ positions because of these futures players that were let go by other teams."

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

i don't think we should not draft certain positions because of them, just that we have some decently seasoned futures picks here over a green rookie. we only have so many picks we can make.

soto played pretty well last year in preseason. i still like looking towards some of these guys over green rookies because the wide eye brand new factor is out of the way. they are like having some supplemental draft picks you don't have to teach how to get to the stadium first. they have some sort of understanding of what we do after spending a year or so in our system. just to count them out as useless before they get a chance is detrimental to having a practice squad. once in awhile you will hit on a guy that finally gets it. with as much depth room as we have at certain positions why not look harder at these types. it cost us nothing worst case scenario, best case is we find a DPOY like in harrison down the line.

conrath has had some NFL expierience for a couple of years, so a guy like him could help our depth. if he can, good for us and we can use that pick elsewhere. just because they didn't workout last year don't mean you quit looking.:cool:

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    adjusted 4/19/15:cool:

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Need to adjust it again because they are going to take a OLB way before the 6th :smiley1:

8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would not like this draft very much . Maybe it would turn out to be a great 1 ,but I would def not like that 1st. round pick if it was that TE. The 1st. is to high for Rowe IMO . I still contend the meat of this draft will be in the 35 -45 range .

9. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I look at some of the names being thrown out, and I must say I'm absolutely flabbergasted. There are four defensive backs who have any value at all at 22- L. Collins, M. Peters, K. Johnson, and T Waynes. There is one TE with any first round potential, and thats only because he's the best available, not because he has first round talent- M. Williams, and even his mother wouldn't agree that he'll be BPA at 22.
    Eric Rowe and Clive Wolford are third round talents. End of story. To draft either of them any higher is to pass over much better players who would benefit the team in the long run to fill an immediate need with an inferior player.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

if one is there BF. i'm also soured on gregory and hope we don't go for him. i have us double dipping in the 6th and 7th on OLB'ers with two good prospects. i don't think we go after one that early until we see what moats and JJ bring this year. i think moats will suprise many.:cool:

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

really? according to what/who? rowe is quite good and versitile. big, fast,strong and a good cover man. also able to play FS if needed. i see him ranked as a late round 1st or early second, right around where we will be picking. collins is slightly over rated and peters i wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. KJ has some limitations too and waynes won't be there more than likely.

walford isn't given near enough credit either. if he's there in the second i'd definately go that route. i've watched him get better every game he has played. williams is good but alot of his getting open came via defenses being so commited to stopping cobb at minnesota first and somewhat forgetting about him.:cool:

12. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Personal opinion. They are both decent players at positions that are very weak in this years draft class. And they're getting pushed up people's boards because of it. Doesn't mean you reach. And I hate the Rowe pick on the "he can play corner or if he doesn't work out, FS" argument, because thats just planning to fail.

13. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I would love this draft....

22: R1P22
    CB MARCUS PETERS
    WASHINGTON

56: R2P24
    DE NATE ORCHARD
    UTAH

87: R3P23
    CB ERIC ROWE
    UTAH

121: R4P22
    TE JEFF HEUERMAN
    OHIO STATE

We would need to get a S in Round 5

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course, all depends on how the draft unfolds but I seriously doubt it breaks that way. If there is one available, and there should be, I can't see them passing up the opportunity. 6th and 7th is way to much of a crap shoot. They don't have the luxury to see how JJ does and if Mots is a surprise.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    who said if he fails? that's all a plus if he can play both. Utah defense was very good last year and he's got numbers and performance on the field to back it up. none of the corners are sure things in this draft including waynes, peters, Johnson and certainly not Collins. rowe is as good as any of them AND brings an extra dimension that we could use. his size and speed rival any of those others. I'd welcome him at 22 in a heartbeat, if that's their pick.:smiley1::cool:

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think with what they signed moats for they are expecting good things from him year two. we have a couple of other guys to try also. I'm not sure they are looking to oust a 1st round pick with another 1st round pick 2 years in. Harrison is an ace in the hole and lemon and a couple of others should get some chances along with a couple of picks. I wouldn't be surprised if they did double up a couple of late rounders to compete though , like Emanuel and valles. they are quite under rated.:cool:

17. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    And just because you wanted an answer, I went to fanspeak and and checked their "composite" player ranking, which takes the average from the ten or so draft boards they use. Walford rank- 58. Eric Rowe- 67. Both borderline 2nd rounder/3rd rounder. No one on NFL network has either rated in their top 50, although Walford is regularly the 2nd rated TE and Rowe occaisionally edges into the top 5 CBs. So my "3rd round talent" comment may have been stretching it just a little. But your first round talent comment is stretching it quite a bit.
    If the Steelers select one in the 2nd and one in the 3rd, I won't complain. but to push them as first rounders on whether you like them or not is not the way to build a winning team.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    so we draft based on fan speak?:eek::cool:

19. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    14 boards. average. not just fanspeak. plus all of the experts at nfl.com. are they always right? nope. But since I don't get paid to watch all the game films and attend all the games, combines, interviews, pre-draft visits, background checks, etc... I have to take the opinions of those people who are. And if 20 of them are telling me the same thing, with one or two ouliers (one has rowe top 20, one has him 6th round) then I guess I have to rely on them.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

type in eric rowe and you can read a whole different picture as of late 151. alot of these boards are not updated very often. he's in pittburgh today for a visit also. many prospects have moved up and down and will until draft day.:cool:

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That person shouldnt have a job.

22. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Thats why I went to the averages. On one board my first three picks are usually Shane Ray (ranked 67), Kevin Johnson, and either Danny Shelton or Landon Collins in then third.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    my final. maybe.:smiley1::facepalm::cool:

24. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    That looks solid. I wouldn't like Rowe at 22, but man does the rest look really good to me. I just don't like Rowe in round one because he hasn't played much corner... One season. And he is burnt toast on deep balls. Like big time burnt toast. I like Waynes, Peters, Johnson and Jones all a lot more than Rowe. Collins, Rollins, and Rowe are all kinda toss ups for my second round caliber CB's. I wouldn't take any of them in the first. I'm thinking Gregory at 22 and one of Rowe, Collins or Rollins in round 2? It just really seems based on our visits and dinners that we are targeting OLB in round 1 or 2. If we do go CB at 22, then I could see a Hunter, Orchard, or Harold type guy in the second.

I love Walford and Kikaha and think you have them slotted perfectly. I really like Nelson too. He could be a player. But yeah, the rest of the draft seems right based on who we've visited with and talked to. Idk if I'm a huge fan of Matt Jones, but it seems like we're interested. Makes sense.

my counter:
    1. Randy Gregory - OLB (Nebraska)
    2. Quinten Rollins - CB (Miami OH)
    3. TJ Yeldon - RB (Alabama)
    4. Steve Nelson - CB (Oregon State)
    5. Jeff Heuerman - TE (Ohio State)
    6. Darren Waller - WR (Georgia Tech)
    6. Max Valles - OLB (Virginia)
    7. Max Garcia - C/G (Florida)

i would prefer to get a safety in there... but if we don't go with Collins in round 1, then idc really. Not a good safety class.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm picking rowe as the free safety. nelson and Roberts are the corner additions. rowe can also play that extra db in the nickel or dime with his ability and we don't have to downsize to do that. frankly rowe reminds me a lot of carnell lake to an extent. :cool: