1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

24th pick is coby Fleener-- Colbert, Why?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by cajunyankee, Apr 26, 2012.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I had a dream last night that we picked coby fleener with our 1st pick. Colbert said at his press conference, ala his post draft press conference for mendy/sweed,
    that we needed to get Ben more weapons and fleener was the man plus he'd help improve our OL.

I got up this morning and thought about... hhmm. It could really happen. This league is in LOVE with top of the Line TEs, Miller is aging, Saunders is suspended, Johnson,please. Pope has been signed but honestly he won't even make our final 53. Add to that we've had a plethora of TEs in for pre-draft visits. Lets remember Colbert will go against the grain and go after weapons.......

......Coby Fleener,could it happen and how will you react?

Cajun-

2. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    The only way I could see this is if we traded down and picked up an extra 2nd, so that we could address the OL and maybe LB somewhat early.

In that situation I'd be okay with it, otherwise, no. Some would say we don't even use our TE's enough, but taking him in the first round would definitely mean a change on offensive philosophy to use him.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Not my ideal selection, but I'd take him over Poe without question. Fleener has tons of tape that demonstrates that he is a top tier downfield threat. However, since he is not in my Top 24, there's no way that he would be my pick at that spot. However, he is in my Steeler-specific Top 32, so if we trade down, there is a chance that he could be my BPA in the 30ish range.

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I read an article where some scouts believe Fleener is the "Most Overrated player in this draft"

5. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I've read the same.

One thing I will say against Fleener, is if you look at most of the best TE's in the league, they're not high draft picks (and I wonder if Hernandez and Gronk would've had their success in another city).

My preference if you want a guy like that is find a big athlete (former basketball player?) and try to coach him up.

6. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Here's the thing about Coby, He is the Best TE in this draft and the TE Crop is the weakest crop of the Draft. If he is ranked overall anywhere between 31 and 46 he will artificially be pushed up the boards due to ranking among such a weak class. Add to that teams new found love afair with the TE and he becomes overrated.

I like Coby and wouldn't mind him in the 2nd rd but that'll never happen. He WILL be gone by then. Look for us to go after a TE in the draft, probably 3rd rd and either LaDarius Green or Michael Green.

Cajun-