1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2024 Top Five Positional Rankings: Post Combine Edition!

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Mar 15, 2024.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hello everyone! AskQuestionsLater here and today I bring you the updated Big Board for the Post Combine Edition! Keep in mind that this update shall also include Free Agency lest to not cause any confusion. Quite a bit of movement overall in some spots but static in others; the lack of explanation for some being self explanatory.

These written statements by the author do not reflect nor are shared opinions of members of TheSteelersFans Message Board, Staff Members and/or Site Administrator.

Quarterbacks:

1.) Caleb Williams

2.) Drake Maye

3.) Jayden Daniels

4.) Michael Penix Jr.

5.) J.J. McCarthy

No change... at all. There isn't much to say here for me in all honesty. Yes, I am happy that Michael Penix has a clean bill of health exiting the Combine (a massive win for him) but other than that news?! Nothing to move the needle for this class. Then again, more often than not, very seldom does the combine move the needle for me as far as QBs go.

Best Arm Talent: Caleb Williams

Best Accuracy: Michael Penix Jr.

Best Pocket Poise: Drake Maye

Best Pocket Presence: Drake Maye

Best Improv. Skills: Caleb Williams

Best Runner: Jayden Daniels/J.J. McCarthy

Biggest Boom/Bust: Caleb Williams (Hero Ball cranked to 11)/Michael Penix Jr. (Injury History)

Most Pro Ready: Drake Maye

AQL's Favorite: Drake Maye

Running Backs:

1.) Johnathon Brooks

2.) Trey Benson (+1)

3.) Blake Corum (-1)

4.) Braelon Allen

5.) Audric Estimé

Some movement here!! Benson moves up one while Blake moves down. Both are rock solid carriers of the rock and both have multi role versatility. That said, while Corum has a slightly better overall ceiling, Trey Benson's athletic abilities both closes the gap and tilts the argument in his favor. Johnathan Brooks didn't do much of anything to sway me from his position at the top and, barring some extreme circumstance, isn't going to. For that matter, this is likely the last time I update the Running Backs for I simply don't foresee any more changes here barring, you guessed it, extreme circumstances.

Best Speed: Trey Benson

Best Power: Braelon Allen

Best Vision: Blake Corum

Best BCA (Ball Carrying Ability): Blake Corum

Most Versatile: Johnathon Brooks

Biggest Boom/Bust: Trey Benson

Most Pro Ready: Blake Corum/Braelon Allen

AQL's Favorite: None

Wide Receivers:

1.) Marvin Harrison Jr.

2.) Malik Nabers

3.) Romeo Odunze

4.) Brian Thomas Jr.

5.) Adonai Mitchell (+2)

I initially had Adonai Mitchell below both Keon Coleman and Xaiver Worthy. Now, given Xaiver's legendary NFL Combine Performance.. or rather 40 time, that should catapult him into the Top 5 correct?!... Well... not entirely. While Worthy's speed was impressive... that is all he provides at this stage of his development. Compare him to Adonai and you can see that Mitchell possesses superior elements that round out his game in comparison. His Route Running is better (though not to the level of his other peers), his body control is among the best in the class (Rome Odunze included) and his capability to contest catches is better (though Xaiver doesn't really need to worry about this that much). This all said though, Adonai Mitchell is now the biggest boom or bust of the five. Why?! Which Adonai am I getting; the Mitchell that went off against the likes of Alabama and Kansas State or the Mitchell that barely showed up against Oklahoma?! Now granted, Brian Thomas Jr has his lapses as well but none of those lapses have anything to do with effort. Beyond the new addition of Mitchell, again, no changes to the Big Three. Like the Running Backs, don't anticipate them either. I will say this; Rome Odunze is one of my favorite prospects in the entire class for his effort is matched by his athleticism. Best of both worlds and with tremendous potential to grow on top of an already well rounded skillset?! Sign me up!!

Best Speed: Malik Nabers

Best Hands: Marvin Harrison Jr.

Best Route Running: Marvin Harrison Jr

Best Blocking: Romeo Odunze

Best CIT (Catch In Traffic): Romeo Odunze

Best YAC: Malik Nabers

Biggest Boom/Bust: Adonai Mitchell

Most Versatile: Romeo Odunze

Most Pro Ready: Marvin Harrison Jr.

AQL's Favorite: Romeo Odunze

Tight Ends:

1.) Brock Bowers

2.) Ja'Tavion Sanders

3.) Cade Stover

4.) Jaheim Bell

5.) Ben Sinnot

No changes here for the "Brock Bowers Sweepstakes" I am afraid. This list isn't experiencing any changes and is one of the easiest Positions to slot I have ever done in a long time. I'd have to go back to the 2019 IDL Group for a comparison!!... though Quinnen Williams, Jeffrey Simmons and Dexter Lawrence really didn't have to do much to separate themselves in that group.

Best Speed: Brock Bowers

Best Hands: Brock Bowers

Best Route Running: Brock Bowers

Best Blocking: Cade Stover

Best CIT (Catch In Traffic): Brock Bowers

Best YAC: Brock Bowers

Biggest Boom/Bust: Ja'Tavoin Sanders

Most Versatile: Brock Bowers

Most Pro Ready: Brock Bowers

AQL's Favorite: Brock Bowers

Offensive Tackles:

1.) Joe Alt

2.) *Troy Fautanu* (Removed from IOL. Previously 6th prior to positional move. +4)

3.) Amarius Mims (+2)

4.) Taliese Fuaga

5.) JC Latham (-2)

Hot damn!! A LOT of movement here... and a lot to unpack as well. Starting with Troy Fautanu, my most pressing question for him, as many, where what would his length be heading into the combine. That alone would have either had him fixed as an IOL or return to the OT Position. After the measurement though?!... 34.5 Inches..?!... Yep! Troy... welcome back! Sorry I ever doubted ya. However, that wouldn't be only serving of humble pie there. While I considered Troy one of the most athletic prospects among Offensive Lineman (position being irrelevant), his combine performance not only solidified his position as a true Blindside Protector but also forced many to submit that Troy Fautanu is more than capable of handling the blindside without fail. I have been watching the NFL Scouting Combine since 2010 and only Trent Williams possessed a better on field performance... though I would say slightly. Add in his testing and Troy Fautanu is one of the biggest winners of the NFL Combine and is easily my biggest winner among the Offensive Tackles. He however, wouldn't be along as Amarius Mims would join him. Even though Mr. Mims did get hurt with a hamstring during the Combine (he is slated for an individual workout come April 10th), he did more than enough to solidify his ranking among the best of the best. A 6'8 behemoth who can not only most as fast as he does but as quick and as explosive as he is?! Too damn rare; men like him appearing once every decade or so. While this increases his boom/bust label even more, there is simply way too much talent and potential that Mims possess that can benefit a team. Fuaga stays at number 4 but he isn't to be overlooked for he is the best pure Right Tackle in the class. Underestimate him at your peril. Finally, we move to JC Latham. It isn't that Latham on tape isn't very good; he most definitely is. He slides down due to the superiority of the athleticism and/or technical capabilities his fellow draft classmates have.

Best Pass Blocker: Olumuyiwa Fashanu

Best Run Blocker: Joe Alt

Best Zone Blocker: Joe Alt

Best Man Gap Blocker: J.C. Latham

Most Versatile: Troy Fautanu

Biggest Boom/Bust: Amarius Mims

Most Pro Ready: Joe Alt

AQL's Favorite: Taliese Fuaga

Interior Offensive Lineman:

1.) Jackson Powers Johnson

2.) Graham Barton (+1. Troy Fautanu removed)

3.) Zach Frazier (+3)

4.) Cooper Bebe

5.) Jordan Morgan

So..... this IOL class just got a massive boost thanks in part to the likes of Troy Fautanu's legendary combine performance! As such, Zach Frazier enters the Top Five for the first time!!... and he just might be the most consistent of them all. Why?! Graham Barton is now officially slotted as a Center.. but has not done that since his Freshman Season. Cooper Bebe does have Zach in terms of experience per starting a position but Frazier is the superior technician. Jordan Morgan is essentially Barton but with more inexperience though more athleticism than Zach. Even if Zach doesn't become the best from the 2024 IOL Class... I seriously doubt he is going to be out of the league for his consistency and rock solid play will see to it he will be in then NFL for a long time. As for Graham Barton, more athletic than everyone on the list but take your pick on where he goes. According to Barton... he can play anywhere on the Offensive Line. His best spot is Center... though whether or not he is ready to start is of another matter. After wrestling with this for so long and comparing his Freshman tape where his balance and leverage were severe problems compared to his Senior tape were those issues have been corrected?!... I believe he can play the position. I just don't see him being nearly as plug 'n' play as Jackson Powers Johnson is.

Best Pass Blocker: Graham Barton

Best Run Blocker: Jackson Powers Johnson

Best Zone Blocker: Jackson Powers Johnson

Best Man Gap Blocker: Zach Frazier

Biggest Boom/Bust: Graham Barton (Little IOL experience)

Most Versatile: Graham Barton

Most Pro Ready: Zach Frazier

AQL's Favorite: Jackson Powers Johnson

Interior Defensive Lineman:

1.) Jer'Zahn Newton

2.) Byron Murphy

3.) Darius Robinson

4.) T'Vondre Sweat

5.) Ruke Orhorohro (+2)

Ruke Orhorohro's combine was one that even I didn't see coming. While Brandon Fiske had the better day overall, Ruke's performance isn't to be undermined by any means. While this should mean that Fiske should get the nod over Ruke, Ruke's tools far surpass that of Brandon's and his potential is far higher than Brandon's as well. Beyond him though?!... no major changes here. Kris Jenkins... it has been real but time to go.

Best Pass Rusher: Byron Murphy

Best Run Stopper: T'Vondre Sweat

Best 3 Tech: Jer'Zahn Newton

Best 5 Tech: Darius Robinson

Best 0/1 Tech: T'Vondre Sweat

Most Versatile: Darius Robinson

Biggest Boom/Bust: T'Vondre Sweat (Weight Management)

Most Pro Ready: Jer'Zahn Newton

AQL Favorite: T'Vondre Sweat

EDGE:

1.) Dallas Turner

2.)
    Laiatu Latu (+1)

3.) Chop Robinson (-1)

4.) Jared Verse

5.) Chris Braswell (+3)

So..... that was something. I did say that the Scouting Combine would finalize the order of the EDGE Class given how the big three of Turner, Latu and Robinson all possessed tremendous skillsets. Testing would have given me a better outlook and exiting the combine, Dallas Turner is the undisputed number one. That all said, his teammate Chris Braswell has now joined him after being behind the likes of Bralen Trice, Johan Ellis and Marshawn Kneeland. Braswell's pass rushing chops and versatility were not to be questioned but his seemingly lack of athletic ability left a lot to be desired in my eyes. It also doesn't help that Ellis and Trice had better motors overall though Braswell's isn't too far behind either. Post combine though was the push that Chris needed to vault into the Top Five of EDGE Players. If anything, the athleticism question of Laiatu Latu has been basically answered as well; his on field performance solidifying his spot behind Turner despite some injury concerns. Some would even have Jared Verse over Chop as Verse is clearly the superior athlete but his motor on tape is way too inconsistent for my liking. As I said before though, if he can get onto a team that can properly motivate him early and often?!... don't be surprised if Verse is the best EDGE from this class; Turner included. However, banking on the classic "if everything goes right" scenario isn't ideal; doubly so for a premium position.

Best Speed Rusher: Dallas Turner

Best Power Rusher: Jared Verse

Most Versatile Rusher: Laiatu Latu

Best Run Stopping: Chop Robinson

Best Coverage: Dallas Turner

Best HID (Hand in Dirt): Jared Verse

Best 3-4 OLB: Dallas Turner

Biggest Boom/Bust: Jared Verse (very inconsistent motor)

Most Versatile: Chris Braswell

Most Pro Ready: Dallas Turner

AQL's Favorite: Chop Robinson

Off-Ball Linebackers:

1.) Edgerrin Cooper

2.) Jerimiah Trotter Jr.

3.) Payton Wilson (+2)

4.) Junior Colson

5.) Cedric Gray (-2)

While there should be a lot to discuss here, there is only two major takeaways from the events post combine. The first being Payton Wilson testing a lot better than many thought; myself included, which in turn, along with his tape, vaults him into the Top Three. The second being that, due to this development, Cedric Gray is the biggest loser for Colson possess better instincts, situational awareness and is a better athlete (on tape). This group may see one more change but that change isn't going to be for a while.

Best Pass Coverage: Jerimiah Trotter Jr.

Best Run Support: Cedric Gray

Best Pass Rusher: Edgerrin Cooper

Best Instincts: Jerimiah Trotter Jr.

Best Leadership: Junior Colson

Biggest Boom/Bust Potential: Jerimiah Trotter Jr. (very scheme dependent)

Most Versatile: Payton Wilson

Most Pro Ready: Edgerrin Cooper

AQLs Favorite: Cedric Gray

Cornerbacks:

1.) *** Cooper DeJean ***

2.) Quinyon Mitchell (+2)

3.) Nate Wiggins (-1)

4.)
    Kool Aid McKinstry (+1)

5.) Terrion Arnold (-1)

Say hello to the most violiate group among all groups within the 2024 NFL Draft!! For that matter, this list could still change pending Cooper DeJean's individual workout for his performance. Sadly, that date is still not known but the list will be updated accordingly. For now, he is still number one... though he technically doesn't count due to his schematic versatility. As for the rest of the group?! Quinyon becomes the new "number one" of corners for he is the most complete Corner in the class. He doesn't have Nate's athletic ability nor Kool Aid's technical prowess but he is the best of both worlds. His continual rise since the Shrine Bowl has culminated into him being someone who will likely hear his name within the Top 12 picks. Nate's athleticism among the five is second to none; Cooper included. All this ability though comes at a price; that tackling.... After looking at the film even more... yuck!! What is even worse is that his arm length measured in even less than I thought; 30.5 vs my initial prediction of 32. Even so, outside of Cooper DeJean, his penchant for creating splash plays along with his ball hawking skills cannot be understated. Underestimating Nate is something a many of QBs in College ever did. For the 'Bama boys, a swap. Reason being?! I now believe that Kool Aid may be more athletic than I initially thought and Terrion isn't as athletic as I thought. Why does the athleticism matter for these two?! As discussed before, Kool Aid is the superior cover corner whereas Terrion is the more balanced corner. Both can tackle but Terrion's physicality and demeanor for tackling does surpass Kool Aids. However... at what cost?! Terrion will still be a solid pro but Kool Aid's better coverage capabilities places him higher on the list.

Best Man Coverage: Nate Wiggins

Best Zone Coverage: Cooper DeJean

Best Run Support: Terrion Arnold

Best Blitzer: Cooper DeJean

Best Speed: Nate Wiggins

Best COD (Change of Direction): Quinyon Mitchell

Best Instincts: Nate Wiggins

Best Technician: Kool Aid McKinstry

Best Tackler: Terrion Arnold

Best Slot: Cooper DeJean

Biggest Boom/Bust Potential: Nate Wiggins (tackling)

Most Versatile: Cooper DeJean

Most Pro Ready: Quinyon Mitchell

AQL's Favorite: Cooper DeJean

Safeties:

1.) *** Cooper DeJean ***

2.) Tyler Nubin

3.) Cole Bishop (+4)

4.) Javon Bullard

5.) Calen Bullock (+1)

A combine REALLY SHOULDN'T make that much of a difference. Yet somehow, someway, every year, it does for someone. Kamren Kinchens is the latest example. Man.... I was expecting so much more for he showcased so much more. Turns out it must have been Miami's scheme that was protecting him all this time. Speed usually isn't everything for a Free Safety.. but to be a Deep Single High, the 4.4 range is a must. Kamren simply isn't that and, to make matters worse, being 5'10 with a 40 time of 4.65 really limits his schematic usage. The instincts aren't to be questioned but the lack of athletic upside leaves a lot to be desired. Jaden Hicks didn't fare much better either. While he is agile and explosive, his skills on tape shown he is best used as the LOS or near the LOS; another major reason why he also possibly didn't perform the 40. Onward to some more positivity though, Cole Bishop emerged as not only the biggest winner among the Safeties but also the biggest riser among all members of the Top Five Positional Rankings! He was already a Top 75 player for me entering the combine. Post combine, he is definitely worth considering in the top half of the second round for certain. Not only is his instincts and fluidity good, he has more than enough Football IQ and athleticism to play in a variety of schemes... though having him play in a Cover 2 or act as a robber in Cover 1 would be very, very devious.

Best Man Coverage: Tyler Nubin

Best Zone Coverage: Cooper DeJean

Best Speed: Cooper DeJean

Best Power: Tyler Nubin

Best Tackler: Javon Bullard

Best COD: Cooper DeJean

Best Instincts: Cooper DeJean

Best Slot: Cole Bishop

Best Single High: Tyler Nubin

Best Pure Safety (FS or SS): Cole Bishop

Best Strong Safety: Tyler Nubin

Biggest Boom/Bust Potential: Calen Bullock (scheme)

Most Versatile: Cooper DeJean

Most Pro Ready: Javon Bullard

AQL's Favorite: Cole Bishop

2024 NFL Draft Rankings By Position (POST COMBINE):

1.) Wide Receivers: Again.. take your pick. Cannot go wrong with this legendary group.

2.) Offensive Tackles (+1): Troy Fautanu comes in the clutch for this class! Don't be surprised if you see up to six OTs taken in Round 1. Had it not been for the WR Class... this group is the deepest and most talented.

3.) Quarterbacks (-1): The five mentioned are likely going to have to carry this group. That all said though, in terms of talent at the top?!... this group is arguably the best.

4.)
    Interior Offensive Lineman (+2): Zach Frazier upgrades this group in a major way. Even though players like Beaux Limmer of Arkansas and Christian Haynes from the University of Connecticut missed the cut, the IOL's boost from the Combine puts this classes' depth back among the best.

5.) Cornerbacks: A good mix of both Slot and Boundary for this group. However, after the Top 50 picks, this group begins to falter a bit.

6.) EDGE (-2): Dallas Turner is the "Hellraiser" this group needs. Excellent talent at the top but it falls off hard.

7.)
    Interior Defensive Lineman (+1): Still top heavy but players Brandon Fiske, Ruke Orhorohro, Dwayne Carter, Mehki Wingo and Maason Smith add a bit more bite to this group's depth.

8.) Off Ball Linebackers (-1): Edgerrin Cooper, Jerimiah Trotter Jr and Payton Wilson are carrying this group hard man. Beyond them?! Oof...

9.)
    Safeties (-2): Extremely top heavy. Granted, players like Jaden Hicks or even Dadrion Taylor-Demerson are rock solid but they alone cannot make up for this groups very scheme specific prospects.

10.) Tight Ends: The Brock Bowers Sweepstakes!! Nothing more needs to be said here.

11.) Running Backs: Not even Johnathan Brooks can help here...

That will do it for this installment of the 2024 Top Five Positional Rankings! If you have any questions, comments or critiques, feel free to leave them down below for it always helps me out. One more thing to note; this marks the semi final Top Five By Positional Rankings! Final one will drop April 15th!

All in all everyone, it is time to bid adios for this installment. Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed! For those of you waiting for my Steelers Mock Draft, fret not! The first installment drops this Sunday!! Hope to see you then!!

Once again, this is AskQuestionsLater saying so long, stay safe and have an awesome day! :steelflag::steelflag::steelflag:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Thank you. Although I don’t agree 100%, I appreciate the time and effort it takes to do something like this.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  5. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    You buying?

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

What's your preference?!

7. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    I'm partial to IPAs. First time I tried one of those fruity ones, I was amazed. But really prefer the ones that are more like chomping on a Christmas tree. You have any preferences?

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Hmm....

Stout, Ale and Hard Cider! Haven't tried any IPAs yet.

9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    5.) JC Latham (-2)

It is so funny, I keep seeing this guy slip to the Steelers at 20. After the college season ended I thought JC Lathum would be a top 10 pick. If Lathum is sitting there at 20 the Steelers should run to the podium and pickup their RT for the next 15 years.

FYI. Latham just turned 21 last month.

Also, I hope our desperate need for a center does not cause us to do something really stupid in the draft. Terrell Edmunds 2.0

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
  10. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Tried to pick up a sixtel of Guiness for St Paddy's Day. Holy crap are they price gouging!!!!

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Man.... do I understand.

Here in ye old Canada, Foreign Exchange Rates have ruined everything... :@