1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2024 steelers training camp

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jul 25, 2024.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    from the draft it was said McCormick plays with a nasty streak, a rookie going after a vet, i like it, lol.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I dont have the stats in front of me but when I did see them this year I noted Lamars and Justin stats were very close.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022

Ah yes, training camp for all us.
    keep preaching brother heinz

:smiley1:

4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The idea of a running QB isn't new, its just that there are actually a lot more than there used to be. Michael Vick revolutionized the position (and its the reason why I believe that he belongs in the HoF for his on the field accomplishments). In 2001 (Vick's first year) there were only like 2 running QB's that even started a single game (Stewart, Vick), in 2024 there's a bunch (Jackson, Richardson, Fields, Murray, Hurts, Daniels, Mariota, etc.). Even the pocket passers CAN run, and there are a few that get plenty of a designed runs despite being primarily a pocket passer (Allen, Jones, etc). The college game has changed drastically and the stock of pocket passers is ever dwindling and the "athlete that plays QB" is thriving. It is the way the league is going. Look at the QB's that have been drafted in the earlier rounds recently... Williams, Daniels, Young, Richardson, Ridder, Willis, Lance, Fields, Hurts, Murray. Its going to keep happening. Not all these guys are going to work (a lot of the pocket passers in that same stretch will be busts as well), but some of them are going to be really good.

It IS going to happen. A running QB is going to win it all. Newton and Hurts both made it to the Super Bowl and lost. Stewart, Vick, Culpepper, and Jackson have all been to their respective Conference Championship Games. It is just a matter of time. From the inception of the league until 2020 less than 5% of the QB's have been this style of QB, from 2020 moving forward we are going to see that percentage climb drastically. Maybe it will be Fields, maybe not... but someone is going to win the Super Bowl as a "dual threat" running QB.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    You do realize that half of those dudes run less per season than Aaron Rodgers does... (Manning, Tarkenton, Moon). I would hardly call those 3 "running" QB's. The point is that there are SO FEW guys that played the game that way prior to the past few years. Now we are starting to see it all the time. The college game is LOADED with this type of QB, while the pocket passer gets left in the rear view mirror.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Off topic. Pittsburgh has turned so white collar since I grew up there I almost didn't get your avatar. I had an Uncle who made a good living cleaning the mortar between the bricks on houses. The egg smelling steel mills cause a lot of soot.

7. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I’m not buy

8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

i like it too! chippy at camp - get ready to fight......the opponent.

boys will be boys.

get ready for the AFC - N!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 3
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They struggle against teams they should beat as well. The schedule is brutal. And for a team who struggles to get out of the gate fast will not bode well.
    The front part of the schedule is where they best stack wins.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 3
  12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yes - they STRUGGLE each and every week, winning by fingernails when they win.

hoping that changes some day.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    To your point,the steelers have only 4 wins by 2 scores or more since 2021...4 in 3 seasons!...I hope it will change this year

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    A win is a win :shrug:

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    True but dominant team won more often by 2 score or more especially against non-playoff teams.I want to be dominant,not just average!

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Agreed. A win is a win, and at the end of the day that’s what counts. However, if you play every game to a razor thin margin there’s more of a risk that one play at the end of a game snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    And the way you play matters a lot in the long run...It was obvious in the last 3 years that the steelers ceiling was not high because of their offense,even if their W-L was not bad

20. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I have heard FB Jack Colletto has looked good a few times now and they are running I-formation. Will be interesting to see if he makes the roster, for his sake he better do well on ST.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    If Moore is not cut and traded,he is likely to be our starter a the LT position again...Very few reps for Jones at the LT position right now

22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I would be curious to know if Dan Moore is getting any snaps at RT? If Dan Moore is getting ZERO snaps at RT, then the Steelers have no intention of letting Jones play LT, or moving Dan Moore to the swing tackle if the rookie ever does start.

Dan Moore does not want to play RT, but I heard a lot of talk this offseason that he was going to compete with the rookie at RT this year. I still think Broderick Jones should stay at RT and Dan Moore and Troy Fautanu should be the ones competing for LT this year.

23. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    You don't have to buy it, you'll just get to see it play out over time.

I'm not saying that pocket passers (or guys that can run a bit only if they have to) are doing something wrong, or that they don't have a place in the league. I'm saying the way college sports works (and the way the league is trending), that you are going to see considerably less of these guys because those talents aren't sought after in the college game and they aren't developed at all. Because of this, the most highly rated QB's coming out are just going to be athletes that can throw instead of QB's that can run. Modern NFL OC's are going to find a way to exploit this (or simply adapt) because they HAVE to, not necessarily because they WANT to. And eventually, since the majority of the league will be Quarterbacked by this type of player, someone is going to win the Super Bowl. We've already seen a few come really close in a league that was dominated by EXCELLENT pocket passers, and there's been such a small sample size of this type of player in the league up to this point. As the sample size grows, the Super Bowl success will come.

24. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Hate to see it. We finally invest first round picks at the T position and we simply play them out of position because our current middling LT can't play right. Mind numbing if true.

In all honesty, Moore should ONLY be getting reps on the right. We know what he is at LT... He either learns to play right and beats out Fautanu for the job, or he's back up LT. Simple as that. I'd hate to see Tomlin mismanage this situation.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    We have 0 intention of having Dan Moore start at either T position for us past 2024.... why move the pieces we drafted (with our first round selections in back to back drafts) for Moore's benefit? These guys are the future of our OL and we're playing at least one of them out of position (potentially for multiple years) to accommodate a low end starting OT who we have no future plans for. Make it make sense.

If the dude can't play right, make him the back up LT. The REAL question should be Broderick or Fautanu for LT? Pick one, play them there, and put the other guy at RT. We don't need to overthink it. If Moore wants to win the LT position he needs to beat Broderick out for the job. Not just be the second best tackle and play our future out of position. This is silliness.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1