1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2024 Draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Chucktownsteeler, May 8, 2023.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    This team has alot of holes. It is so difficult to figure out however because of the poor coaching and the injuries on defense. Based on my observations we need:
    1. CB
    2. C
    3. OT
    4. S
    5. ILB
    6. DI
    7. Wr
    8. QB

Were not going to be able to draft for all of those positions in the draft. I think we need to cur loose some high priced underperforming Veterans and spend in FA again.

Cut:
    Trubiscky
    Mason Cole
    Okorafor

Renegotiate:
    Allen Robinson
    Larry Ogunjobi
    Patrick Peterson

Sign:
    Loyd Cushenberry Center
    Gardner Minshew QB
    * If Robinson, Ogunjobi and Peterson do not agree to reduced salary then cut them and get a middle of the road replacement in FA.

Draft:
    1st OT or CB
    2nd OT or CB whichever you didn’t get in rd 1.
    3rd ILB, S, DI or WR (Best available) and so on for the rest of the rounds.

I like:
    Latham and T from Oregon State in 1st.
    Cooper Dejean or Nate Wiggins at CB in 1st.
    Tj Tampa CB 2nd
    Peyton Wilson ILB 2nd

* Not really high on any of the center in the draft and honestly would prefer a Center in FA who has some experience. With a young Qb i think it is better to have a more experienced Center.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sorry. I just seen this. I actually like both of them, but You must draft another High.....because You definitely need at the very least 3 great CBs, and that before injuries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Sht. I completely disregarded we have Cory Trice and Darius Rush. I think we are fine at corner.

4. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Bo Nix has been in college so long that he has actually had career wins over Justin Herbert and Mack Jones.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    5th year senior. So?

6. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    He sure didn't hurt his draft status today with 5 TD passes. I also give him credit for actually playing in the game instead of opting out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    2024 is like a final year of a narrow window... After 2024, DJ and Muth become FA's and if Harris isn't given a 5th year option he becomes a FA, and Warren becomes an RFA. Defensively Heyward either retires at the end of this year or next year and TJ is hitting the wrong side of 30 (he probably got a few years of high level play in the tank, but the production likely will diminish, nothing against him it's just natural).

DJ, Muth, Harris and Warren can certainly be given extensions this off-season; we shall see.

So do yinz go all-in knowing this information, or do we do a major sell-off and get much much younger building for a much longer window of opportunity?

This line of thought is why I'm not against drafting a WR, TE or you name it in the first round. It's time we start drafting for the future instead of just of the needs of the immediate future. Loads of holes and even more potential holes on this roster.

8. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    They were never in a window without a stud QB.

9. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Therefore blow this up and start anew with an entirely new coaching staff.

10. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Okay, that doesn't change player acquisition though, that is done by the GM and he's only been on the job for 1 year

11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    How far did we move back in the draft, by backing into the playoffs?

12. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

14. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    We need a slot corner. Getting someone at this spot would make a ton of sense for us.

15. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    What's the difference between slot corner and corner? If a guy can play corner he can play slot corner too.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Cam looked really old in Buffalo and 2024 is the last year of his contract, so it should be super easy for the Steelers to bring Cam back with a cost savings. And Larry will come at a price that the Steelers may not be able to live with.($4.75 million roster bonus due in March add the $5 miliion in Salary and you are looking at a $9.75 million in savings if Larry'O is a post June 1st cut)

Behind those 2 you have the Tweeners Loudermilk & Leal both who were drafted for their athleticism, not because they can play DT in a 3-4. Leal was a healthy scratch for the Buffalo game.

I could easily see the Steelers going after a DT in the 2nd or 3rd round.

It was a little sad in the Buffalo game every time the announcers would start to talk up Cam Heyward, about how he could completely change a team's offensive philosophy, they would cut away to a picture of him standing on the sideline when the rest of the defense was still on the field.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
  17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    LOL no, they are not. They JPJ is the only guy they have that is solid. Trice and Rush are not proven.

• Like Like x 2
  18. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    I like Rush a lot, I had him as round 1 value last year, and I had JPJ and Trice together as late 3rd round value. I liked Levi Wallace too coming out. I think that is a great group of corners.

I am not a fan of our safeties, except for Minkah at FS. (I am a fan of Eric Rowe but he is getting up in age and is basically here temporarily.)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
  19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    lots of OT's to pick from this year. i don't think this has to be a #1 pick. cook could make some noise for the RT spot if jones is moved. jones said it would be ideal for him to move to that side but he's OK with the right as well. maybe not a bad thing if we get a decent LT too.

CB's are scattered and speed is lacking in many of them. i like JPJ's former penn state partner as a possibility. TJ tampa from iowa state may be one to look at as well.

i think we should keep rowe around. i also think we should sign kazee back. keanu neal? not sure of his status. thompson played pretty well when he was in there. minkah get healthy. we could be OK at safety but there could be some to look at in this draft.

i'd like to find another benton for the D-line.

depending on how they heal, the ILB spot should be OK i believe. holcomb, alexander (signed back), roberts, robinson in year 3, and walker are not a bad stable if we get them all healthy and through camp together again. walker didn't have camp. it should help him. still good depth.

depth at center is OK with mccullom i believe. we could find a draft pick in this one to compete. not sure i'd cut cole just yet because he does bring some center/ guard versatility. never a bad thing to have sitting there. his snaps are his biggest problem.

:cool:

20. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Slot corners are usually shorter and slower than outside corners. Their job is to cover slot receivers, tight ends, and backs out of the backfield, usually no more than 5-10 yds down the field. They're also used to blitz more, and because they tend to play close to the line, blow up sweeps and screens. Outside corners need to cover in space, usually by themselves. Some people can play both, but usually not on a top level for either.

21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    That SOB just ran a 4.4 40-yard. Not sure what you do with a D-Lineman that can run a 4.49. Would that make him the fastest player on the Steelers defense?

LOL... Who is your fastest player on the Defense? It is that big D-Lineman over there. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe he plays edge, or OLB,not sure if he
    has much experience defending the pass? What. Would you do
    With Herbig?

23. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    Chop made himself a lot of money today. He tested out great in the broad jump, vertical and all the drills. At 6'3" and 254 and running a 4.48, he will be on a lot of teams radar that needs an edge rusher.

24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    LOL... Let him and his 4.4 speed play safety?

I would be curious to see what kind of ILB he would make. As you pointed out his pass coverage abilities would be a huge question mark with his D-Line experience.

25. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    He was a borderline 1st rounder before the combine. He isn't borderline anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1