1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2024 Draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Chucktownsteeler, May 8, 2023.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Ah... figured you'd have some idea about him. I will let you complete your analysis until then good sir!! :drinks:

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree 100%, but I still think You must give Him another year....just to be sure. As long as he isn't seriously injured before the fact. Some guys take a bit longer to get it in the NFL. He'll I couldn't stand T. Edmunds, but I didn't really get on His a$$ till His third year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    you obviously have the patience of a saint!!! Geeze three years?????

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Perhaps you give Pickett another year; a brand new OC no less. That said, if an option does present itself come 2024... you would have to be interested in him for certain. Who that QB is?!

That remains to be seen.

• Like Like x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I just totally believe what Noll said....it takes 3 years to really know what You have. We have seen it work both ways. A Guy is awesome His 1st year, and disappears (example: Claypool), and a different guy suddenly starts getting really good after a time(example: Heyward). I bi+<h about KFP a lot, but I believe He must have another year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I get that point. However, I went back and looked at a history of QBs drafted in the first 3 rounds going back over a decade and looked for QBs who didn’t improve much from year 1 to year 2 as a starter, but then made the leap in year 3. There were zero. There were a few guys who improved between years 1 and 2 as a starter and then regressed, but I didn’t find one guy who became a quality starter without showing improvement in his second season as a starter. Daniel Jones got a big contract, but I don’t know any Giants fans who think he’s “the guy.” Geno Smith took a decade to have a good year as a starter. Jalen Hurts improved quite a bit year 1 to year 2.

So what I’m saying is that history says that the odds are not good that Pickett will make a year 3 leap if he doesn’t get it together this season.

I’m sure some will misinterpret what I’m saying as hating Pickett. That’s not the case at all. The best thing that could happen to us is for Pickett to be The Man. I really hope it happens. What I don’t want is to lose the 2024 season because he doesn’t improve, or even worse, to have him be a step above mediocre, but win a few big games and get resigned out of desperation like the Giants did with Daniel Jones.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I totally hear You, and I don't think You are being a KFP hater. I think You are just being realistic. I still have to give Him another year. We definitely don't have to sign Him after because it will only be His 3rd year, but I believe we should really bring in a quality backup next year to go with Him.
    Edit: We definitely don't want a D. Jones situation here, but remember they thought the change of coach would fix everything. Sometimes change only looks good for a year, or so because teams don't know yet how to play you.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    There are sooo many issues:

RT
    C
    1 or 2 WR: even if we sign Dionte to a deal, this team needs a third option
    DL: specifically NG
    CB, maybe even a slot CB ontop of outside
    S

I'm not completely against going after a QB in the first next season; however, if we do that signals to me that guys like Minkah and TJ won't be on this roster the next time we're competing for SBs again. And if we're looking to draft a QB, then I'm all for trading them to get as much draft capital as possible, and use their salary to plug holes. I'd rather give Kenny another year with a new OC myself, but I'm totally not against blowing up this roster and starting fresh.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think you nailed it. SV

• Like Like x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Taliese Fuaga from Oregon State would be an excellent Right Tackle... if not for the fact he is a Top 20 Prospect; Top 10 at best. Dude is a flat out mauler in the run game and would compliment Broderick Jones perfectly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    No doubt KP is running out of excuses. I was his biggest defender. My concern is I see pattern at QB with the Steelers and every QB over the last five years outside of Ben who has played for us.

they all play extremely nervous and tight. We play so predictable on offense that we actually put undue pressure on the guys on weighty downs because every knows we are going to run on the first two plays so we end up with third and long.

Tomlin stresses the importance of not turning the ball over so highly that I think it stifles these guys to not be able to play loose. When their first read isn’t open they all get happy feet and lose their composure if they have to go through progressions and they often just check it down so as not to risk the turnover.

You could see a drastic difference with Mitch after he lost his starting job he just threw caution to the wind and let it loose. He went extreme with it and us very careless but finding a happy medium would be nice.

I think they need to find a solid veteran next year and bring him in and let Pickett sit behind him. Go get a Cb and C. Build up the rest of the team. If we go QB in the first this soon you are gonna risk losing guys like Watt or Minkah. Then you really will be in a true rebuilding process.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't think we risk losing Watt or Minkah if we draft a QB. They were both made the top paid players at their position and they play for a solid defensive unit that gives them both a lot of freedom to be themselves.

Also, I don't think that adding a new rookie QB automatically means they will perform worse than Pickett. We're 12-5 with a guy that averages 182 yards passing for his career over the last season's worth of games. If we had someone halfway competent at the QB position we would easily compete for playoff positioning and maybe even win some games there.

13. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    In all honesty I think from a player resource perspective the defense is the area that needs the most upgrades. On offense we essentially need two maybe three at QB, C and OT. But the OT is serviceable.

I don’t see the Steelers drafting a QB next year unless one falls into their laps. I would prefer they go out and get a better version of Kenny in the free agent market like a Gardner Minshew somebody better than Mitch. Let those two compete for the starting job next year and if KP wins but doesn’t develop he us in a shorter leash next year.

spend the draft capitol building up the defense. In particular the Secondary and a middle linebacker. Need one more DT too.
    Sprinkle in a Center and get a new OC and OL coach.

Tomlin has to lighten up on playing so conservative as to not lose the turnover battle. That just makes all the QB’s play tight and it isn’t a winning formula against good teams in the playoffs.

every one keeps saying our defense is great. We are opportunistic but I wouldn’t say great. We give up a lot if big plays in both the run and pass.

14. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I would probably agree that we should be spending some draft capital on defense. Going to have to spend some money on the offense and start putting the draft capital on D. We could use a S next to Minkah, an ILB next to Holcomb, and a CB to play opposite Peezy Jr. I don't think DT is as big of a priority, but a mid round guy in one of the next couple drafts would make some sense.

As for the offense, C is a need. RT maybe if Moore can't play there or Cook doesn't develop into a starting caliber player. We could potentially need a WR because Pickens will leave for a team with a QB that can get him the ball if we continue to have poor QB play. We have had some of the worst QB play in the league, so an upgrade there (whether that is a new QB or Pickett improving) is necessary. My brother said the exact same thing about Minshew. Get him or Brissett in there, cut Trubisky, and go into next season with an open QB competition. I would personally prefer we sign Cousins off his injury if possible. This would greatly improve our QB play and buy us a couple years to get our QB.

I agree that our defense isn't "great". We have great individual players on defense, but the unit as a whole has given up too many big plays and aren't quite good enough on 3rd down to be considered "great". We are great at generating pressure and turnovers, as well as really good in the red zone not allowing TD's. Those are signs of a "great" defense. We just need to clean up 3rd downs a bit and cut down on the big plays. Still a very good defense by today's NFL standards all things considered.

15. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    I like Chop Robinson front Penn State

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    But the Steelers have their top 3 pass rushers already.

17. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    and one more in the mix wouldn't hurt at all

18. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Would definitely be my top pick for us. We need a CB but we could go get the Free Agent CB from Chicago that we were gong to trade for with the money we save from cutting Chucks. We can get the Center in the second or third round.

If Omar can get three Blue chippers in this next draft like I believe he did in the last draft we would be near an elite roster with the exception of QB.

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They have more pressing needs than to draft a backup OLB.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Free agent CBs like Johnson from Chicago usually cost 18-20 million a year, they would be better off finding one in the draft.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes. We need to get cheaper on the D, and the Draft allows this.

22. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Three issues with finding one in the draft. 1. It isn’t that easy. 2. It takes time to develop them especially with Tomlins reluctance to play rookies. 3. Drafting a cb takes away from drafting a IT, C, Wr, ILB etc.

The Steelers should have cap room if they cut Okorafor and Peterson in addition they wanted to trade for the guy so it appears there is strong interest there.

23. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I'd take a chance on Dillon Gabriel on a mid to late round pick, make him a back up , or let him compete with KP for starting QB

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Even if the Steelers have the cap space that's not their MO to spend 20 million on one player, don't get your hopes up.

25. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    List of needs in order of urgency

1. QB
    2a. CB
    2b. C
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. T

We will likely have to trade up if we want a QB, so we have to be extra sure we are right. A second CB and quality young C would be ideal too. C could easily be had Round 2, CB we would have to prioritize in the first two rounds. ILB and S are probably 3rd-4th rounders

If we don't go QB in round 1 I think we have to hit the FA market. From there we go CB in 1, C in 2, then ILB or S in the next two. There is an outside shot we could take a Tackle in any of those spots too. Might be the only position I would want to see in round 1 aside from QB or CB.