1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2024 Draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Chucktownsteeler, May 8, 2023.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Agree on the order of needs. Between me and you, obtain that LB in FA... should one become available. I have always subscribed with @mac daddyo regarding the idea of building the trenches for both sides and replacing that ILB with another IDL would be ideal.

As for the 2024 DT Class?! I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. Yes, no Jalen Carter or Bryan Bresee to write home about. However, Maason Smith from LSU, Leonard Taylor from the University of Miami and Ruke Orhorohro from the University of Clemson are all rock solid players in their own right. If anything, given how much interest the Steelers seem to have in Clemson Prospects year in and out, expect a Top Three Steelers pick to be from Clemson. For me, front runner for that right now is Nate Wiggins; a Corner who looks like a damn alien! :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    IMG_0141.jpeg

One of those “way too early” mocks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    DBs, and Center. My wish list so far.

4. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I’m always BPA.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not 100% to that point on Pickett yet, but I’m not liking what I’m seeing. If he doesn’t make big strides over the remainder of the season, I’m hoping we take a QB again. Maybe even trade up for one that’s promising.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Even if he does get better, I think they need to draft a promising guy anyway to start grooming. You never know what's gonna happen. They paying a lot for their backup QB.

Plus that gives you a year with the new guy before you have to make any big decisions with Pickett. What do you do if Kenny only gets marginally better over the next season and a half? Do you extend him? I sure as hell don't want a Daniel Jones situation. Paying way too much for a mediocre QB. Just hoping he'll get better.

I'm not saying a 1st rd guy, unless KP really struggles, maybe. But maybe a guy with talent that will definitely need some coaching up. It's a pretty deep QB class. Maybe somebody falls to the third.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    1st round is where you get your blue chip players. QB, a guy to protect the QB(OL), or a guy to get after the QB(defensive blue chip). That's the first round.

After that, go for position of need that fits your scheme.

8. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I think DBs are always on your list!!!!! :)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL
    You would be correct good sir. :thumbs_up: I will only be happy when We have at least 4 great ones.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    CB
    C
    RT
    NT/DT

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Has there ever been a team with 4 great DBs? I don't know.

12. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Mel Blount
    JT Thomas
    Mike Wagner
    Donnie Shell

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Great answer @Hanratty#5
    I would like to see that again. If JPJ is what we hope with Him, and Fitzpatrick.....we are halfway there.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Does the Leigon of Boom count?!

• Like Like x 2
  15. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I am 100% in on a CB early again (top 3 rounds). C is probably a good position to target. Wouldn't mind seeing a SS or ILB too. A mid round RT project wouldn't be bad.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    I'd still say go for Sedrick Van Pran in Round One. Given how he is the only competent Center Prospect in the class that is worthy of a Round One grade, he makes the most sense. In addition, Mason Cole is going bye bye in 2025 anyhow barring extreme circumstances. That said, if Denzel Burke of Ohio State is on the board at the same time?!... man......

I would not envy either Kahn or Weidl there.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Center, CB, and SS should be all in the top 3 picks. IMO . Not in that order of course, but that should be the top 3.

18. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Did one of those 3 round mock simulators:

23 Cooper DeJean S Iowa
    54 Sedrick Van Pran C Georgia
    88 Tyler Davis DL Clemson

• Like Like x 2
  19. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Agree with the first two statements. C, CB, and ILB seem to be our biggest needs. I could argue that a quality SS would be up there, I think our defense misses Terrell Edmunds right now.

As for the DL, I think we are rebuilding it over time. Larry O hasn't necessarily shown he can't stay healthy. He has played in 22 of the 23 games available in a Steelers uniform (missing one game last season). I don't think the plan is to invest in him past his current contract. Obviously Cam will age out eventually, but we already took Benton in the second. Leal is more of a DE/pass rusher that will specialize in sub package play, I think his play so far in his career has been solid. Loudermilk is just a back up. We will target replacements via FA and the draft over the next couple of seasons as we move on from Heyward and Ogunjobi. Montravius Adams has been a good find for us as well. He isn't a huge impact player, but his first step is REALLY good for an IDL. He has been adequate since being acquired as well. I trust that we will make the right decisions in the future with that unit, and we have the time to do so.

20. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I could get behind that. I also wouldn't hate to see an ILB in there somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    center
    DT
    CB
    WR
    S
    :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I think the Steelers should also get a DT. Cam isn’t getting younger. I would love to get a bigger guy maybe the guy from Texas. We need our DL tiring up Olineman not penetrating gaps. That will free up the ILB to make plays. I think we need two cb’s a boundary cb and a slot cb. Finally go get a center and RT. Maybe not iractical all in one draft.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Two weeks ago I said that QB would be on my radar for the 1st round depending on whether KP improves. Im still there. There are a handful of college QBs that may be capable of being solid pros. I hope KP figures it out and we can go CB, C or S early. I really do, but I’m just not seeing it. He took a step forward in the 4th quarter of the Rams game, and then looked mediocre again in the 1st half today.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If J.J McCarthy is somehow, someway, in Round 2... would you trade up for him?!

25. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Too soon. Right now I’m just watching games on live TV. I won’t get into really breaking down players until after the season.

• Agree Agree x 1